Old NDS Going Super Cheap, Worth?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by link491, May 10, 2014.

1. link491
    OP

link491 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 17, 2010
    Canada
    Canada
    So a kid in my school is selling off his old nintendo ds (original model, like, pre-ndsl) for $25. I've looked at it and the condition is perfectly fine. It runs everything i've tested it with and im thinking of buying it. Im just wondering if this is worth my money, and what the differences with the old ds and the dsl are.

specifically, im wondering:

screen brightness difference
    battery difference
    button quality difference
    weight difference
    size difference

thanks in advance.

2. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    Screen isn't as bright as the DS Lite screen. The battery (depending on how old it is) should give you about 10h of DS or 16h of GBA play.
    It's bigger and heavier than the DS Lite but the buttons are (in my opinion) much better. Go for it if he's asking 25$, it's worth it.

3. Tokopimv

Tokopimv Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 1, 2012
    Netherlands
    If it works, go for it. That seems like a pretty good deal to me.

4. Vague Rant

Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Aug 7, 2008
    Melbourne
    As a bonus, you might as well check what firmware it's running. The last few production runs of the original DS use Lite parts, so if you install the DS Lite firmware on them, you get multi-level backlight. I prefer the original DS in hand, so with the Lite quality screen it's essentially the best possible DS. An original DS running v5 firmware has a good chance of having the improved screens. If it is one of these, you should probably try not to let on how rare/desirable it is in case of a last-minute price hike.

BortzANATOR likes this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Even if you would have to replace the battery then 25 of your Canadian dollars is a steal for an original DS in good condition, hell I would probably pay it for one with cracked hinges. To this day I still play on my original DS, however I get on OK with TN screens, old CRTs, the PSP 1000 and the like so I am probably not the best person to ask here.