Old 3ds xl vs new 3ds

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Chahi, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Chahi
    OP

Chahi Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2017
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Hi guys,
    i like this forum i've seen lot of helpful posts so i wanted to expose a very serious dilemma xD
    Well, i have the choice between a pink o3ds XL and a black new 3ds, i always wanted a pink xl but i heard that the new 3ds has better performances is it really worth sacrificing the XL for it? I can't decide pls help >0<
    Thanks

2. TheToaster

TheToaster Warrior of the Toast

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    I would suggest going with the new 3ds. Better performances, super stable 3D, C-stick, 2 new shoulder buttons, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

Last edited by TheToaster, Mar 7, 2017
  3. Hayleia

Hayleia GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 26, 2015
    France
  4. windhazard

windhazard GBAtemp Regular

Mar 23, 2016
    Germany
    You should get a New 3DS XL if you can. You are right that the perfomance improvement is really worth it. And the New 3DS is not that small compare to the Old XL. The size of 3ds family is like this:

Old 3DS << New 3DS < Old XL < New XL.

TheToaster and Hayleia like this.
  5. bunnyzombie

bunnyzombie Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2015
    United States
    Get the New 3DS (or the XL if you can). As TheToaster said...
    As someone who had Old 3DS for a few years, it's worth the sacrifice. My New 3DS runs a lot faster.

Also there's some games that you need the New 3DS to play like the SNES games on the eShop (even tho I played SNES on homebrew and it ran just fine...) and Xenoblade Chronicles just for example (I dont think there's a lot of exclusive New 3DS games, correct me if I'm wrong).
    Only downside is that if you need to access the mirco SD card, you need to unscrew the back plate every time.

6. TheToaster

TheToaster Warrior of the Toast

Aug 11, 2015
    United States
    USA
    The only things I don't like about the N3DS XL design are the fact that the stylus is in a new location, the power button is in the edge, and, as you said, the microSD card slot location

I can't access the stylus as I would with an old 3DS xl. Certain games require you to take out the stylus very often. If I am playing those games on a N3DS XL, I have to remove my hands from the controls to access the stylus, which can be very annoying for fast paced games that require your fingers to be on the controls.

The fact that the power button is located on the edge and the microSD card slot is behind the backplate is also annoying, as I accidentally turn on the console when I am unscrewing the backplate because the edge of the backplate pushes the power button when I remove it.

However, I think I will get used to these things as I use it more and I really like the new features such as the stable 3D and the C-stick functionality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

7. Oschara

Oschara GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Yeah i agree. I came from 2ds. The one thing i miss is the location of the stylus on the 2ds. Other than that. the speed is such an improvement. Plus I am addicted to Binding of Isaac.

8. Shikkichu

Shikkichu GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 28, 2017
    Cyprus
    Get the pikachu new 3ds xl <3 You won't be disappointed
    1. It's cute
    2. All of the other comments above lol

TheToaster likes this.