Hacking Feedback OG Xbox help

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys i need a complete crashcours for the original xbox

a few days ago i found an old package to my suprise it was an og xbox that i had bought years ago and forgot about it
as far as i can remember it should be already modded

so my first question is how can i identify if its modded or not?

does the version or the model matter?

if its not modded how can i do it myself?

can i load games from hdd or do i need to burn them?

and how about changing the hdd to a bigger one?

Reactions: Donnie-Burger

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys i need a complete crashcours for the original xbox

a few days ago i found an old package to my suprise it was an og xbox that i had bought years ago and forgot about it
as far as i can remember it should be already modded

so my first question is how can i identify if its modded or not?

does the version or the model matter?

if its not modded how can i do it myself?

can i load games from hdd or do i need to burn them?

and how about changing the hdd to a bigger one?
Power it on and see what loads to see if its modded - Maybe if hard moddedd open it up and check - Tsop would be a hardmod I guess as well

1.0-1.5 you can tsop them with some minor soldering involved
1.6 You can softmod and then do a 2tb but hardmod is best as you can flash other bios and go up to 16tb like the rest
You can load burns once modded soft or hard and you can play off hard drive as well
When the xbox is hardmodded changing hard drive is simple and only cerbios and titan bios can go past the 3tb limit of the old days

I havent done a softmod hard drive upgrade swap in years, I literally forgot how. 1.0 -1.5 xboxes I tsop them all by flashing titan or cerbios to the tsop chip on motherboard. Then you can use fatxplorer to format cerbios, titan or regular xbox hard drive on pc. Once thats done you done need the og hard drive anymore. You will need to install files to c: or e: drive and as long as your dvd drive works there are many dvd aid discs that get you into many dashboards - A.I.D disc - Hexen 2017 is good. once that is done you can ftp in or use fatxplorer to backup your c:\ drive. You can use that to always get back in and or ad it to another hard drive to skip the dvd disc part.

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Power it on and see what loads to see if its modded - Maybe if hard moddedd open it up and check - Tsop would be a hardmod I guess as well

1.0-1.5 you can tsop them with some minor soldering involved
1.6 You can softmod and then do a 2tb but hardmod is best as you can flash other bios and go up to 16tb like the rest
You can load burns once modded soft or hard and you can play off hard drive as well
When the xbox is hardmodded changing hard drive is simple and only cerbios and titan bios can go past the 3tb limit of the old days

I havent done a softmod hard drive upgrade swap in years, I literally forgot how. 1.0 -1.5 xboxes I tsop them all by flashing titan or cerbios to the tsop chip on motherboard. Then you can use fatxplorer to format cerbios, titan or regular xbox hard drive on pc. Once thats done you done need the og hard drive anymore. You will need to install files to c: or e: drive and as long as your dvd drive works there are many dvd aid discs that get you into many dashboards - A.I.D disc - Hexen 2017 is good. once that is done you can ftp in or use fatxplorer to backup your c:\ drive. You can use that to always get back in and or ad it to another hard drive to skip the dvd disc part.
hey thanks for your help

i started the xbox and found out its an 1.04979 and theres an option called "phoenix" so i guess its already modded

thank you i will definetly look into it

Reactions: Kopimist

scroeffie1984

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
if its a tsop or modchip ,just play around with it start with a small hdd nothing can go wrong just dont flash the wrong bios if you are going to ! if its a softmod than wach out not to messup the files on the og hdd ,can you post some pics
if you want to install a sata drive you need a sata to ide adapter ,and a 80wire hdd cable
if the motherboard is a 1.0-1.5 you need to remove the clock capacitor they always leak ! if your motherboard is a 1.6 it has a golden capacitor dont remove it

Reactions: CoolMe and rantex92

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if its a tsop or modchip ,just play around with it start with a small hdd nothing can go wrong just dont flash the wrong bios if you are going to ! if its a softmod than wach out not to messup the files on the og hdd ,can you post some pics
if you want to install a sata drive you need a sata to ide adapter ,and a 80wire hdd cable
if the motherboard is a 1.0-1.5 you need to remove the clock capacitor they always leak ! if your motherboard is a 1.6 it has a golden capacitor dont remove it
srry for my late answer my internet is kinda funky today

i opened the xbox there is no chip or anything modified so i guess its a softmod???
20220621_092141.jpg

wich one is the clock capacitator? and would it be wise to change the thermal paste ?

EDIT: the clock capacitator already leaked but i could clean it and took it out and gave the xbox some kryonaut thermal paste
from my researchin i could found out its a 1.1 revision

Last edited by rantex92,
Reactions: scroeffie1984

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Donnie-Burger hey i think youre the right guy im about to flash a new bios onto my xbox (1.1 sharp) i was thinking about cerbios or titan wich one should i go with?

EDIT: i will wait until the new cerbios is out there so forgot what i said

Last edited by rantex92,

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can also install extra ram modules for a wopping 128MB of RAM that'll let you play Sega Chihiro games like Virtua Cop 3.
i know but the benefits are too small + my soldering skills arent that great for a tsop it would be enough but remarrying a chip is a whole different take

Acid_Snake

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
i know but the benefits are too small + my soldering skills arent that great for a tsop it would be enough but remarrying a chip is a whole different take
Those chips look hard but aren't actually hard, you can find youtube tutorials on how to install them easy and fast. The most important thing is that you have proper tools (proper solder iron, solder paste, flux, etc).

The benefits are great imo, many of those Sega Chihiro games (like Virtual Cop 3) are non-playable otherwise so you'd have a very unique console.

Reactions: rantex92

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Those chips look hard but aren't actually hard, you can find youtube tutorials on how to install them easy and fast. The most important thing is that you have proper tools (proper solder iron, solder paste, flux, etc).

The benefits are great imo, many of those Sega Chihiro games (like Virtual Cop 3) are non-playable otherwise so you'd have a very unique console.
from what i know only homebrew and emulators would use the extended ram
and about those sega chihiro games im not interested in those the only games i would like to try on an og xbox are few and spare

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Donnie-Burger hey i think youre the right guy im about to flash a new bios onto my xbox (1.1 sharp) i was thinking about cerbios or titan wich one should i go with?

EDIT: i will wait until the new cerbios is out there so forgot what i said
cerbios= the drive broken up into multiple 1tb partitions titan you can make one massive F: partition (both can go up to 16tb iirc but seriousy 8tb is enough to hold all US games at least) all though you need to patch the evoX bios via python scripts, you also need FatXplorer 3.0 beta (when the beta test are done it will be paid software ($25 usd iirc) but hopefully by thatime the xbpartitioner homebrew will be updated so all you need is like rocky5's extra disc to format and install a dashboard

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
cerbios= the drive broken up into multiple 1tb partitions titan you can make one massive F: partition (both can go up to 16tb iirc but seriousy 8tb is enough to hold all US games at least) all though you need to patch the evoX bios via python scripts, you also need FatXplorer 3.0 beta (when the beta test are done it will be paid software ($25 usd iirc) but hopefully by thatime the xbpartitioner homebrew will be updated so all you need is like rocky5's extra disc to format and install a dashboard
afaik cerbios is a standalone bios with allows the use with up to 8tb hdd and many more like mounting iso´s i got the ready to flash bios for 1,1 sharp 1mb tsop but its still in beta so i will wait for the full release but the recent version from may looks very promising and i use xblast os to flash instead of rocky5s disc since i thought its only for softmod but i could be wrong im new to that whole ogxbox thing

and is the fatxplorer realy needed? since you can format a new hdd right in cerbios and ftp for file transfer

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Cerbios can have single partition like titan does. Both are setup in fatxplorer. To see if its tsoped or not simply check the tsop points for your motherboard verion and see if they are bridged

Bridged = Most likely tsop
No bridge then you have a softmod

I would tsop this model as it doesnt require a modchip

2TB+ with UDMA 5 version of either bios is real nice

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Cerbios can have single partition like titan does. Both are setup in fatxplorer. To see if its tsoped or not simply check the tsop points for your motherboard verion and see if they are bridged

Bridged = Most likely tsop
No bridge then you have a softmod

I would tsop this model as it doesnt require a modchip

2TB+ with UDMA 5 version of either bios is real nice
hey i have a new problem i dont have any videosignal after bridging those 2 points on top and back of the motherboard and soldering the jumper cable+ the discdrive makes a weird sound now and wont eject the tray?

ive read in another thread thats normal and i should use truehexen to do the flash blind is this correct?
and i checked the soldering points all look clean to me

another tip i got was i should use another hdd since the one i have has still a softmod on it

EDIT: i tried to boot without discdrive and hdd still no signal

Last edited by rantex92,

rantex92

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
here are some pictures of the soldering work
20220623_084902.jpg

20220623_085253.jpg

EDIT: i desoldered everything but stil no videosignal

EDIT 2 : I cleaned all the residue of the solder now it works again i think i stay on softmod

Last edited by rantex92,

scroeffie1984

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
what motherboard version do you have why is r7d3 connected ??
why solder on the bottom of the board ? u only need to connect the jtag to the point above tha cap wich you did
chek the soldering if there is a connection , no need to connect anything at the bottom of the motherboard
r7r3 need to be bridge ,after that just reconnect the original hdd en disc drive put in the autoinstaller i should work
flash the tsop with a 256k bios

Last edited by scroeffie1984,

Donnie-Burger

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
what motherboard version do you have why is r7d3 connected ??
why solder on the bottom of the board ? u only need to connect the jtag to the point above tha cap wich you did
chek the soldering if there is a connection , no need to connect anything at the bottom of the motherboard
r7r3 need to be bridge ,after that just reconnect the original hdd en disc drive put in the autoinstaller i should work
flash the tsop with a 256k bios
I see he has a sharp in pic above. Sharp is 1MB flash and not 256kb

Step 1. identify your motherboard revision
Step 2. identify your tsop chip type
Step 3. bridge tsop point(s) usually 1 or 2 only (Sharp + 1 wire to solder)
Step 4. now you can flash any bios and upgrade to 16tb if wanted

Last edited by Donnie-Burger,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    im back
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Find the studio rips, like a few GBs per song lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, game boys per song?
    I used to have a few of those with Direct Sound on XP and Audigy Platinum sound card with high end speakers was a glorious time for audio
    Lol no Gigabytes per song
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some websites have full studio rips of production kind of hard to find for obvious reasons
    +1
    Not sure current audio codec based sound built in to motherboards can handle the bit depth those used
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I just use mp3 files of the best quality i can find
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I say fuck it and open Spotify 80% of your musics already on it probably
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or just put in on yt
    Xdqwerty for most people hearing anything better than 256Kbps MP3 they cannot tell the difference
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    play the songs video
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Audiophiles mjs second allegation
    Pedo Audio what ever MJ was into he lost a glove
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mjs glove fit
    Billies Jeans did not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mj you are the father