1. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Can sega model 2 arcade games also be emulated on xbox one s?

2. hooky1992

hooky1992 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    There was some talk about SEGA Model 3 emulation via Supermodel emulator a while back (https://www.libretro.com/index.php/libretroretroarch-progress-reportupdate-november-2018/) but that was never released. Dont think there is any movement on SEGA Model 2 at all, although there is in fact an emulator called Nebula for that.

I love the SEGA arcade machines of the late 90s, visited SEGA World in London as a child & was in paradise! 5 floors of cutting edge arcade machines & all on Free Play mode !! It was the first (and last time) I ever played Virtua Fighter 3 on an actual arcade machine ....

To play SEGA Model 3/ SEGA Model 2 on Xbox One,we would need someone to add Supermodel to an unofficial Retroarch build & release to the public in UWP format, same with Nebula

Last edited by hooky1992, Apr 11, 2021
    cvskid likes this.
  3. hooky1992

hooky1992 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi all, I got SEGA Atomiswave arcade machine emulation up & running on my Xbox One S, here are the steps involved ....

Most Important step is getting a awbios.zip BIOS file that works with the flycast emulator . The only way to be sure you have the correct file is running a MD5 check on it, but as a rule of thumb it should have a size of 34 KB (so check that first).

To perform a MD5 check:
    • Put the awbios.zip BIOS file in the Downloads folder on your Windows PC
    • open the command line (search beside the Start button for 'cmd').
    • change directory to Downloads by typing cd downloads and pressing Enter
    • type in certutil -hashfile awbios.zip md5 and press Enter
    • if you have the correct BIOS file the result of the check will be 0ec5ae5b5a5c4959fa8b43fcf8687f7c

md5 atomis.JPG

Nothing else will work, if any other result appears you have an incorrect awbios.zip and must find another to put through the check.

Using the Xbox portal, upload the awbios.zip to the folder LocalState \ system \ dc \

Unfortunately we cannot load games from a USB, so all ROMs must be uploaded to the LocalState folder.

The only games I tested were Fist of The North Star and Faster Than Speed, which both worked perfectly. I cannot find anything online in regards to a method checking if Atomiswave ROMs are valid, so here is the contents of each zip file:

fist.png speed.png

Happy gaming ;)

Hologram and cvskid like this.
  4. hooky1992

hooky1992 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi all, I had difficulty getting some SEGA NAOMI arcade machine ROMs working with the flycast emulator. After some research, and a fresh batch of ROMs, I have discovered a method to check if you have the correct files.

Firstly, please note that SEGA NAOMI used 2 different storage formats for games: PCB cartridges & GD-ROM discs.
    Therefore, if a game was distributed on GD-ROM, you'll need both a ZIP & a CHD, but if it was distributed on cartridge only a ZIP file is needed.

Also be aware that some games (such as Virtua Tennis 2) were in fact released on both types of storage device. For a full run down on what game was released on each format, please refer to this page: https://segaretro.org/Sega_NAOMI

To ensure the games will work, we must match the contents of a given game's ZIP file with it's entry in the list on this page: https://github.com/libretro/flycast/blob/master/core/hw/naomi/naomi_roms.h

Example ... for a cartridge game like Asian Dynamite we would CTRL+F search on the list for "asndynmt", which brings us to the following:

asdy.JPG

The info we are looking for is between ROT0 and NULL, 0, 0}, so for the game to load correctly the ZIP file must contain:
    • fpr-24382.ic8
    • fpr-24383.ic9
    • fpr-24384.ic10
    • fpr-24385.ic11
    • 317-0495-com.ic3

When i click into the ZIP file on my own computer I see the following:
    asian dyn.png

As we can see, its a perfect match & when I uploaded the asndynmt.zip file to the LocalState folder, the game loaded and played correctly.

NOTE ....the file I tried previously was missing the 317-0495-com.ic3 and thats why it didnt work.

GD-ROM games are slightly different .... for Virtua Athlete we would CTRL+F search on the list for "vathlete", which displays the following:

vathlete.JPG

Again, the info we are looking for is between ROT0 and NULL, 0, 0}, but now there is another file listed afterwards.

So for the game to load correctly we must have both a CHD file named:
    • gds-0019
    and the ZIP file must contain:
    • 317-0330-com.pic

Checking my own computer ...
    virtua ath i.JPG

and the ZIP file contents ...
    virtua ath ii.png

When I uploaded both files to the LocalState folder the game loaded & played correctly.

Please take note of what CHD file pairs with which ZIP, incase you delete the wrong one when spring cleaning your Xbox hard drive.

Happy gaming !!

Last edited by hooky1992, Apr 13, 2021
    cvskid likes this.
  5. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Thank you for these tutorials. Always wanted to try to see if initial d arcade stage 3 would play on the flycast emulator but i never figured out how to get retroarch to read games that need a CHD file with it.

6. hooky1992

hooky1992 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    You are more than welcome, I have always struggled to get these 2 systems working so I am happy to share the knowledge with others.

Initial D is a great game, I first encountered the arcade version on my honeymoon in Kota Kinabalu a few years back. From what I gather it is a NAOMI 2 game (https://segaretro.org/Sega_NAOMI_2) and will not work on flycast unfortunately ...

There was some talk about porting it to Retroarch (https://github.com/libretro/flycast/issues/715) but I think they reached a dead end . Again, I suppose we would have to wait on someone to add a DEMUL emulator core & release that unofficially.

cvskid likes this.
  7. FlyingSpaghettiMonster

Newcomer

United States
    Can someone tell me where the two core directory’s are and where the assets directory is, I’ve been tryna update this stupid emulator all day, I’m exauhsted and just need to know the directory’s on Xbox so I can fix the emulator

Hologram likes this.
  8. Hologram

Hologram GBAtemp Fan

United States

You can update assets with internet or: (1.9.1 Updates assets very fast with wifi even)

When you ftp with file explorer its DevelpmentFiles\WindowsApps\1e4cf179-f3c2-404f-b9f3-cb2070a5aad8_1.9.1.0_x64__8ngdn9a6dx1ma\Assets

Actual path = S:\Program Files\WindowsApps\1e4cf179-f3c2-404f-b9f3-cb2070a5aad8_1.9.1.0_x64__8ngdn9a6dx1ma\LocalState\assets

Last edited by Hologram, Apr 20, 2021
  9. FlyingSpaghettiMonster

Newcomer

United States
    Alright, so I can’t seem to figure out how to update my cores and assets because it won’t even extract them it just downloads then stops, and I don’t know what directory to put the cores and assets to because the ones they are in don’t work

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I fixed the assets!!!
    But not the cores

Hologram likes this.
  10. Hologram

Hologram GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Cores folder is in same directory as assets. Both folders same location.

11. FlyingSpaghettiMonster

Newcomer

United States
    Alright so I’m using my files explorer to set up the files from my external hard drive, but the problem is it won’t copy any of my iso files into retro arch or the Xbox storage, I have to put my ISO’s there tho because the games are too big to run on usb

12. hooky1992

hooky1992 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    This guy seems to have integrated Supermodel emulator into Retropie, I am trying to convince him to upload his code to the offical GitHub so it can be released to the public (https://github.com/libretro/supermodel), fingers crossed !

cvskid likes this.
  13. hooky1992

hooky1992 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    cvskid likes this.
  14. dominater01

dominater01 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    hooky1992 likes this.
  15. hooky1992

hooky1992 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi all, regarding the 2GB limit / disk full error when transferring ROMs to Xbox dev mode Retroarch folders .... I have found a solution that will allow you to transfer as much as you like ! In a nutshell: we must create a new folder outside the existing file structure, add ROMs, then navigate to them via Load Content menu inside Retroarch.

My original set up plan was to load all ROMs from a USB stick. This worked fine for SNES, 90s arcade machines,etc ... but bigger games like PSP ran very slow. I copied Tekken to the Retroarch 'Downloads' folder & tried from there and it worked flawlessly (with frame skip set to 1). Therefore I decided to move all to the hard drive, however I got a disk full error after transferring about 2GB worth of ROMs, even though I had designated 20GB to my sandbox. This seems to be a hard coded limit imposed by RetroArch when transferring data to its internal folders.

upload_2021-5-17_8-58-6.png

To workaround this, first double check you have enough space reserved for your existing ROMs collection & any future additions. Please be aware that if you increase the limit, any saved apps will be wiped & you will need to install Retroarch from scratch. There is a method of taking a back up of your current set up to avoid this, please see the following video --> youtube.com/watch?v=5VNoxtXzH7o

upload_2021-5-17_9-10-31.png

Once you are happy with your storage space, and Retroarch is fully installed, open the Xbox portal on your web browser by copy & paste the URL that appears on the bottom right of the dev mode home screen.

upload_2021-5-17_9-12-13.png

Click 'File Explorer' on the left hand menu of the portal, then click 'Browse' hyperlink on the right hand side. A pop up will appear with Instructions to remote into your Xbox hard drive. For ease of use, copy & paste the bottom line (circled red) into the Command Prompt & press Enter, to save credentials for login. Then copy & paste the line beside the red arrow into the address bar of a File Explorer on your computer & press Enter.

upload_2021-5-17_9-20-56.png

It should display DevelopmentFiles folder. Open this,then click on WindowsApps and you will see a few folders listed. Click on the folder with 'x64' in the name

upload_2021-5-17_9-22-40.png

In this folder, create a new folder called ROMs, then click it open

upload_2021-5-17_9-23-44.png

Inside this, create as many folders as you wish & copy / paste the ROMs into them. They should transfer at about 10 MB a second depending on your network speed.

To play these games, open Retroarch, load a Core, then go to Load Content. Then navigate to:
    S > Program Files > WindowsApps > 1e4cf179-f3c2-404f-b9f3-cb2070a5aad8_1.9.0.0_x64__y40c4e9z4d7dy > ROMs

It is a bit more effort to do this every time, so to make it easier we can bookmark the folder for future navigation. This step is completely optional, and is described in this video (with poor audio) -->
    youtube.com/watch?v=UBrbDZaPMkQ

To do this go to Settings > Directory > File Browser

upload_2021-5-17_9-31-1.png

Click on this, then navigate to S > Program Files > WindowsApps > 1e4cf179-f3c2-404f-b9f3-cb2070a5aad8_1.9.0.0_x64__y40c4e9z4d7dy > ROMs and click <Use This Directory>.

Then, go to Main Menu > Configuration File and click 'Save Current Configuration'.

Next time you go to Load Content, click the Start Directory option at the top & it will open the ROMs folder.

Happy gaming ;)

Attached Files:

• i.JPG
      i.JPG
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited by hooky1992, May 17, 2021 at 9:50 AM
    cvskid likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Retroarch, Official, Thread