1. SynGamer

SynGamer GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If it hasn't been mentioned yet, add FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage to the essentials list. It's $10 cheaper than most 360 games and looks amazing. They increased the number of cars on track to 12 (from 8) and the number of objects on screen is something like 8,000, it's insane. Can't wait to pick up my copy later this week (when i get paid [​IMG])

Here's a video of the Darts mini-game, i can't wait to see the others [​IMG]

2. yus786

yus786 GBAtemp Fan

do i need a specific drive to burn 360 games or will most/any dual layer burners work as i got a new pc from dell and it has a dual layer burner built in

regards

yus786

3. yus786

yus786 GBAtemp Fan

4. deathfisaro

deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    Even if you burn on Verbatim discs (considered the best by many), some discs will fail to be recognized if the burner is not good.
    Even if your burner is good, writing on cheap discs could result in read failure and stuff.

The best way to check is get Verbatim DVD+R DL, burn one and try it out. If it runs, try a couple more just to see. If majority of the games run, you're good to go. Otherwise, stop wasting discs and get a good burner, like Pioneer 111/112. I got my 112D(was named 1810 but same thing as 112) for $49.99 in Canada, so must be cheaper elsewhere.

Verbatim discs would be around $2 a piece, give or take depending on where you buy. So if you're gonna burn only 10 games don't bother with a new burner given that your current burns DO work.

5. yus786

yus786 GBAtemp Fan

cheers for the reply mate,

i bought a pioneer 112 just in case but once i get my 360 flashed i will try it with my current dual layer and if it works il sell it on or give it back

i have some aone disks and i have a hitachi drive so it shouldnt be too fussy with the disks hopefully

regards

yus786

6. ackers

ackers GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Hey fellow 360 owners! Add me to your clan - lewislite/Aquilina

I'm really, really, really, really looking forward to Burnout Paradise and Extreme G 5. FlatOut: UC looks awesome on the demo but Paradise looks like it'll blow it outta the water. So I guess I'll just wait till Paradise comes out (which should be Q4 07 or Q1 08).

I got told by a guy on the Throwback team that Extreme G 5 is coming to 360, PS3 and surprisingly, Wii.

7. unr

unr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I will probably extend my live subscription past trial period, so you can add my gamertag to the list too: unris

EDIT: No dot in gamertag.

8. deathfisaro

deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    My gamertag : Deathfisaro
    (Is it case sensitive?)

I'd love to co-op than play competetive.

P.S. I get sick on some FPS, and I don't see any pattern.
    Halo 3 - sick, Halo 1 - okay, Portal - okay, Counter Strike - okay, Resistance - okay, Darkness - sick, F.E.A.R. - okay.
    Other genres should be okay, although I have experienced getting sick playing Transformer on PC...

9. Qpido

Qpido Call me Q.

Netherlands
    Qpido

I'm a Pro.

Q~

10. jimmy j

jimmy j Awesome for hire.

Just want to mention that iXtreme firmware for Benq drives is now complete, so all those lovely new 360s with the falcon boards will soon be hackable [​IMG]

There's a thread over at xbox-scene

11. Devante

Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    I've read around and just want gbatemp opinion.

1) Which drive is the best one to get for hacking purposes.

2) Which burner/media combo is the best?

I've been reading other sites, namely that media compatibility thread, and it claims that a Pioneer DL burner with Verbatim +R discs are the best, and even then the results are kind of sketchy.

I didn't see any mention on which 360 drive is the best. Only which one is the worst (BenQ).

Thanks for info!

12. aslacker55

aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    1. All 360 drives can be flashed. Only one 360 drive will need a passkey ( Hitachi v79). All the rest are software flashed, including BenQ drives.

2. Yes, pioneer burners are the recommended burners. But, any good brand burner will do. Verbatim is the best media for the 360.

13. Devante

United States
    Oh OK. I was under the impression that there was a difference in the ways the different drives read.

Remember how the old XBOX had certain drives (Thompson I think?) that could read media better than the other drive brands?

14. katsuce

katsuce GBAtemp Fan

France
    So I read a while ago that microsoft had starting banning flashed systems, but a friend of mine never got caught. Is there some flashing that's still safe?

I'm just asking out of curiosity, as I do not plan on modding my new 360, and I don't know anyone who could do it for me

15. aslacker55

aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    The drives are all equal when it comes to reading media. Using cheap media can make the laser work harder and over time the drive might have a hard time reading back ups. That's why they say use verbatim only.

16. unr

unr GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Latest iXtreme firmware is supposedly Live-safe.

17. BoneMonkey

BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.
    Banned

United States
    for now lol

18. Devante

United States
    Another question;

How do you go about flashing your XBOX 360's disc drive if you don't have SATA connectors on your motherboard?

Is there any solution?
    I've been looking to see if some sort of adapters worked or anything.

19. MaHe

MaHe one lazy schmo

Slovenia
    You need a PCI-based SATA card with a VIA chipset. [​IMG]

20. Gaisuto

Gaisuto Lose 2 Levels.
    Former Staff

United States
    It is impossible for iXtreme firmware to get banned from Live unless you accidentally put in a game unstealthed. Every game you download now generally comes prepatched though so that most likely will never happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Discussion, Official, Thread