Homebrew Official Wii Youtube Channel will soon no longer be supported, is there a Hombrew App to replace it?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I am in the U.K., I need a 576i/p 25fps output machine. An Xbox is too big anyway.

What TV do you have? If it's just an old SDTV then a PS3 may do the trick for you and I've seen second hand ones goes for around £50 with warranty.

JackyB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just tried it out, and I am getting a black screen too. Bummer. Now I need an alternative that works on wii!
Same. I guess I'll have to stick to plugging my laptop into the TV to watch YouTube...

I'm so disappointed because the Wii uses basically no power, so I could watch YouTube all night without worrying too much about how much power it would draw. If I were to use my XBOX 360 on the other hand, to watch YouTube all night, that would cost me a fortune. I'm bummed...

incidentallyscribble

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh wow. I've never heard of VitaTV until now. It looks like it's for PSVita's which I don't have unfortunately. :/
Don't worry, the VitaTV does not require you to have a Vita, and is really cheap, it's just like having a Vita on your TV. If you don't want to use a lot of power, I think this would work well for youtube

JackyB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't worry, the VitaTV does not require you to have a Vita, and is really cheap, it's just like having a Vita on your TV. If you don't want to use a lot of power, I think this would work well for youtube
Oh, ok. In that case maybe I'll get one. Thanks for letting me know about it. :)

HangmanHorror

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
Youtube on the Wii was convenient AF. I don't know how anybody could say otherwise, the quality wasn't actually bad, i watched alot of shows, (Tales from the crypt, simpsons compilations and etc)
That was one of my favorite thing to do at night when i had trouble sleeping, just watch youtube on the wii and fall asleep watching/listening to it. It didn't use a lot of powers like already said.

I really hope someone finds a way to relive youtube, or update Wiimc to make youtube work on it again.
BTW, youtube died on the Wii on june 28th, we got screwed haha, they said it was gonna be discontinued on the 30th.

Where i live (In France) Roku, Vita Tv and all the things you all mentionned before aren't cheap at ALL ! so none of them are an option for me. damn, it sucks.

incidentallyscribble

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Youtube on the Wii was convenient AF. I don't know how anybody could say otherwise, the quality wasn't actually bad, i watched alot of shows, (Tales from the crypt, simpsons compilations and etc)
That was one of my favorite thing to do at night when i had trouble sleeping, just watch youtube on the wii and fall asleep watching/listening to it. It didn't use a lot of powers like already said.

I really hope someone finds a way to relive youtube, or update Wiimc to make youtube work on it again.
BTW, youtube died on the Wii on june 28th, we got screwed haha, they said it was gonna be discontinued on the 30th.

Where i live (In France) Roku, Vita Tv and all the things you all mentionned before aren't cheap at ALL ! so none of them are an option for me. damn, it sucks.
https://getchip.com/pages/chip
This looks cheap.
And then you could get this---
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70262014/smtube_16.1.0_armhf.deb

Last edited by incidentallyscribble,

HangmanHorror

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
Well, it's still not an option for me (in France) and it's more like a mini computer of some sorts ?
It does sound kinda neat, but not for me. I actually have a computer, it's just not as peaceful to watch youtube on it at night than to just browse yt through the wii, from the bed.

But thanks for the suggestion anyways. You seem to give alot of suggestions around here, what do you use yourself, now that yt is dead on the wii ?

HangmanHorror

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
at this moment only netflix provides the best streaming on wii

Yes i know, i have Netflix on the wii and it's really really great. But there is alot of shows missing currently, that i could watch on youtube.
Crunchyroll on the wii ain't bad either, for animes. but lags alot. Netflix is the best, yeah.

incidentallyscribble

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's still not an option for me (in France) and it's more like a mini computer of some sorts ?
It does sound kinda neat, but not for me. I actually have a computer, it's just not as peaceful to watch youtube on it at night than to just browse yt through the wii, from the bed.

But thanks for the suggestion anyways. You seem to give alot of suggestions around here, what do you use yourself, now that yt is dead on the wii ?
I use my phone and my Xbox One atm, but it's pretty expensive for all the power it's taking. I also occasionally use that C.H.I.P. thing I was talking about. (Usually it's just to play nes games though :P )

Codemastershock

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't think VitaTV is a good option because some apps were discontinued on it too and you have to use the browser. It is good now but sites can quickly become very heavy and clunky on devices that dont have updatable web browsers.

My only options were the Wii, PS3 and Wii U.

PS3 is very noisy and I had hardware failures recently.
I hate using Wii U for streaming because you HAVE TO USE THE GAMEPAD. It wouldn't be such a problem if it had a better battery life.

My connection is very bad so it's annoying that YouTube removed the option to avoid automatic HD/Full HD playback in these devices.

The Wii worked the best because it didnt get past 360p, the console resolution is not great either so 360p videos didnt appear blocky as on an HD device and the Wii Remote battery life is very good and even if it really dies when you're using, they are easy and cheap to replace.

Last edited by Codemastershock,

Rnm

Trophies
XP
Country
What TV do you have? If it's just an old SDTV then a PS3 may do the trick for you and I've seen second hand ones goes for around £50 with warranty.

The TV i am using it for is from 1983, it doesnt even have a Scart socket, I have to bounce the signal via a VHS machine. I just like this old set for old TV.

I've already considered a ps3. I ahve one in the other room with the flatscreen set.
Problem is that the ps3 is too big for where I want, the room is supposed to be retro, and having that in there would stick out like a sore thumb. I could hide the Wii away becuase it was small. I dont have enough room for something like an xbox or playstation, where i can hide it.
Also, given the age of the ps3, it could end up losing it's Youtube app fairly soon. Some Sony Smart TVs have lost the Youtube app already, including mine.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
The TV i am using it for is from 1983, it doesnt even have a Scart socket, I have to bounce the signal via a VHS machine. I just like this old set for old TV.

I've already considered a ps3. I ahve one in the other room with the flatscreen set.
Problem is that the ps3 is too big for where I want, the room is supposed to be retro, and having that in there would stick out like a sore thumb. I could hide the Wii away becuase it was small. I dont have enough room for something like an xbox or playstation, where i can hide it.
Also, given the age of the ps3, it could end up losing it's Youtube app fairly soon. Some Sony Smart TVs have lost the Youtube app already, including mine.

You may be able to get away with an android box using a hdmi converter, so long as the converter either strips hdcp or its disabled on the box (may cause problems for e.g. Netflix).

Btw, at least svideo to analogue adapters do exist of the top of my head, I have one for a satellite box.

The only thing I hope for the ps3 is that it seems to be based around the web app used on my fire tv devices, so hopefully it will last a while.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo