Official Retroarch Bounty Started (UWP) Win10/Xbox One.

Discussion in 'Xbox One - Hacking & Homebrew' started by ploggy, Sep 18, 2018.

1. ploggy
    OP

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    !!UPDATES AT THE BOTTOM!!

As the title suggests there is now a Bounty for an official Retroarch UWP port. This was started by Twinaphex himself, even throwing $50 bucks into the pot :)
    An official port will bring all the extras people who know and use Retroarch would expect..
    Playlists
    XMB UI
    Read Ahead
    Netplay?
    etc..
    Hopefully we should get better performing Cores too but I'm not sure. :P

Link: https://www.bountysource.com/issues/63496937-windows-10-uwp-port-will-allow-for-an-xbox-one-port

Quote from the Bounty Page..

If you like what you see or want this to happen.. Support it! ;)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE !

Progress on the Xbox One port front :) Seems someone has taken on the task of porting Retroarch to Xbox One!!
    https://github.com/krzys-h/RetroArch
    It's still early days but already we have a fully functional XMB UI!
    All that's needed now are the Emulator Cores :)

I'll try to keep this OP updated with any major developments. ;)

HYPE!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    UPDATE 2!!

Thanks to @dominater01 We now have a test build of Retroarch 1.7.5.. http://www.mediafire.com/file/n3sch0awbctqkg9/Retroarch+1.7.5+UWP.rar (Mileage may vary but most Cores run as expected) :)
    Dont forget this requires Dev Mode to run.. If you already have Dev Mode enabled on your Xbox One you can go ahead and install this (plus it's Dependencies file) through the Xbox Device Portal :)

Roms can be transferred through the File Explorer tab of the xbox Device Portal (only one Rom at a time for now until USB Storage is added) ;)
    Some Cores require a Bios file to run, these can be transferred through the File Explorer tab on the Xbox Device Portal.
    Path to the Bios Folder (LocalAppData/RetroArch/LocalState/system)

UPDATE 3!!!

Added Dominater01's new APPX link which has 53 Cores!!. http://www.mediafire.com/file/knq14v121hpjxur/Retroarch_Working_Cores_Build_1.7z/file
    Also dominater01 created a Spreadsheet which shows what Cores are in the APPX and what Cores work/dont work :)
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X2WmBA2Wty4COJ8JSAwNgNiNKvUqq4Z7TBP-GwQjeSI/edit?usp=sharing

UPDATE 4!!!!

Another day another update :P This time a new build with added Cores and wait for it..... PS1 Support. That's right Fullspeed PS1 is now finally a possible on Xbox One!!
    This bumps us up to 60 working Cores!! Enjoy :)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/0hc3p1f1fncvrm4/Retroarch+1.7.5+60+Cores+Build.7

UPDATE 5!!!!!

Now another update this time with Controller and other misc fixes :) This time the APPX comes in 2 flavours... One with ALL the Cores packed in and one NO Cores (for those who want to pick and choose what Cores you want!)
    ALL CORES APPX
    NO CORE APPX

Last edited by ploggy, Jan 11, 2019 at 4:44 AM
  2. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 3, 2017
    United States
    Yay, this and the win32 news from earlier show hope for the xbox homebrew community

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also, I find it interesting that the bounty doesn't mention dynamic acceleration anymore. Did they already implement it? cause that is what caused the ps1 emulator to be slow

3. ploggy
    OP

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Yip, CPR has started :P

The Retroarch Bounty was only started Today, the Dynarec Bounty is still going strong and getting updates quite regularly..
    https://github.com/simias/beetle-psx-libretro/commits/dynarec (few hours ago infact) ;)

Things are looking up for Xbox for sure!

4. Pickle_Rick

Pickle_Rick Ya boi Zack

Aug 28, 2017
    United States
    Somewhere
    I'll throw some money in there.

ploggy likes this.
  5. dominater01

dominater01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    this is good news but this isnt gonna be a port that will happen for along time and here's why

1. getting someone interested in working with uwp is non existent at this point
    2. even IF they have someone to work on it i assume it would take along time to make sure everything is ported correctly

IF it does happen tho it would make the xbox one a good emulation machine and have someone (the person who ports it) care for the damn emulator and isnt just doing it for money

ploggy likes this.
  6. wiired24

wiired24 GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 3, 2013
    United States
    Dev_Home
    Super excited for this. I'll be throwing some of my money towards this bounty for sure.

ploggy likes this.
  7. ploggy
    OP

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    It's good that the Retroarch devs themselves have now acknowledged the need for a UWP port rather than just us lot asking for one. :P It's more likely now than ever, especially if more people donate.
    It shouldn't really take that much time, going by Twinaphex's post most of the fundamentals are already in place.

wiired24 likes this.
  8. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 3, 2017
    United States
    Yeah, as far as I remember. The biggest block that retrix had was dynarec support. And Absestos said that it would be possible if the libretro team is on board. This confirms that they are on board, which is why I am excited

SnakeEater, wiired24 and ploggy like this.
  9. Cannon007

Cannon007 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2018
    United States
    SnakeEater and ploggy like this.
  10. SnakeEater

SnakeEater Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2017
    Germany
    Bear_OtS likes this.
  11. dominater01

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    i had a feeling no one would care about the xbox one enough to support the bounty

i also can predict its not gonna happen anytime in the next few years

saying that the uwp port is almost there in terms of all the stuff implemented and then instead of internally working on it they set up a bounty that's gonna be dead for awhile is even less promising then what we all hoped for

i dont want to be that guy when i say the xbox one unless fully hacked or emulated i dont think anyone will care about the system

i understand theres people out there like me who want this stuff to come to the xbox but we are not programmers and the ones that are arnt bothered to learn uwp or anything other then what we have

people seem to hate microsoft xbox and hate the uwp structure microsoft has made for windows 10 also some people just hate windows 10

12. DaniPoo

DaniPoo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 2, 2013
    Correct me if im wrong but I don't think Dynarec would have to be written for XBone since it's running windows on x86.
    I would guess that they could just straight up use the dynarec used on windows PC's with little to no modifications. Let me know if im wrong :)

sweis12 likes this.
  13. ploggy
    OP

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Speaking of Dynarec.. A bit of an update on the PSX front.. https://github.com/libretro/beetle-psx-libretro/issues/214

(Quote from the man himself)

[​IMG]

Pretty pics are always worth getting hyped for ;)

SnakeEater likes this.
  14. SnakeEater

SnakeEater Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 8, 2017
    Germany
    Wow 720 $? Now i am getting hyped. Really hope this will run one day like ppssp.

Then we only need DC Emulator and thats all :D (Think Dolphin , PCSX2 is not very reallistic)

15. dominater01

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    the problem with the ps1 core on retrix is because beetle is more demanding for emulation and i bet if he just ported pcsx core it would be fine, thats what winpse10 is built off of and it runs better then beetle

SnakeEater likes this.
  16. ploggy
    OP

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I agree 100% PCSXr would run great on Xbox One and with an Official Retroarch port we could get that core maybe but in the long run Beetle is the better core (with Dynarec of course)

SnakeEater likes this.
  17. dominater01

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    still a dead bounty wow what else is new never seen that coming (sarcasm)

18. ploggy
    OP

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    The bounty's alive and kicking.. Just 5 days ago Twinaphex was in the process of working out a deal with another dev so we would get TWO Dynarecs for PSX where they would split the Bounty Plus get $200 (which as of this post would be $650 each) :P
    Just read the last 10 replies.. There's life in the old dog yet ;)
    https://github.com/libretro/beetle-psx-libretro/issues/214

wiired24 likes this.
  19. dominater01

Mar 13, 2009
    United States
    sounds good but will it work on retrix and will it be ported once ready?

havent had a update on retrix or heard any info from absestos in awhile

also this would only benefit retrix and wouldnt mean porting retroarch over because of this which is fine
    but i would like to have a retroarch port if possible

20. ploggy
    OP

ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

Aug 29, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Retix itself is built on libretro and uses the same "Cores" so there's no reason why it wouldn't work.
    At this point we would be better off getting someone interested in porting Retroarch to UWP directly. That way we'd be kept inline along with the main Retroarch branch updates

Last edited by ploggy, Nov 30, 2018