Oculus Rift On A Smartphone?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Kirito-kun, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Kirito-kun
    OP

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    It appears that the Oculus Rift will soon support mobile devices. A SDK is already in the works, although the release date has not been confirmed.

Is this a wise move? I personally think that this move will benefit both the Oculus and mobile gaming. It will be possible for the Oculus to be used a portable device, instead of something that needs to be left beside a computer at all times. It will also attract more sophisticated games to mobile platforms, something which the platform is in need of.

Mobile devices are already on par with 7th gen consoles in power, and are advancing every year. The raw horsepower of the platform should not be an issue.

So what's you're take on Oculus VR's decision? Is the support of mobile devices a good idea? Or should support be pushed in a different direction (consoles, etc.)?

yuyuyup likes this.
  2. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    all they need to do is put a camera on the oculus and you could drive around watching 3d movies, play mirrors edge, etc perfectly safe

3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Finally, I can experience Angry Birds the way it was always meant to be played - with full, immersive VR!

Anything else is just inferior.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Most people can barely handle gawking at an accident without slowing down. Though if they could make it real time I imagine there would be room for some nice overlays.

As for the question of the OP. I do not see why it would be bad, for my money the only people that would consider it a general negative (if there is evidence that it is pulling focus from another area or something then I am more than willing to entertain a discussion on the matter) are those I am not inclined to associate with.

Any reservations I have are those over whether Oculus Rift is the thing to make headset games a reality.

5. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    The dream will finally come true :mellow:

Support is always a good idea, the more devices support the Rift, the bigger market it will have. They should release SDKs for anything capable of generating an image, the more the merrier.

As for consoles, support is down to console manufacturers, and since Sony is coming out with their own headset, I doubt they will be interested in supporting the competition's product. Wii U support will never happen. Microsoft might cave in, though. The Xbone needs all the help it can get. And the Kinect offers some very interesting possibilities.

6. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    Surprised no one mention this already, but...

How the hell are you supposed to tell where the onscreen buttons are if you have two screens taped to your face?

Zero tactile feedback + blindness = mindlessly mashing on touch-sensitive surface

7. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    That would be a terrible idea, because you'd be partially focused on whatever is showing on your screen instead of paying 100% attention to the road.

8. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I hope this isn't a serious post.

9. Kirito-kun
    OP

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor

Android smartphones can be used with Bluetooth controllers and other input devices other than the device's own touchscreens. The openness of Android devices make them akin to portable PCs. You're always going to be able to find alternative input methods.

10. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    nukeboy95 likes this.
  11. Veho

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    :O
    I had no idea those existed. Gimme!

nukeboy95 likes this.
  12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Who needs buttons when you can swipe/gesture?

13. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    I won the tetris tournament dawg I watched Disney's "Up" while driving a bus full of pregnant children to church.

EDIT: IN 3D

14. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    DOUBLE EDIT: be sure to report this for instant and immediate deletion and warning, I'm almost banned

15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If my own experiences with tetris are anything to go by Tetris is a game that keeps my hands busy and boredom away as I watch a video, read a book or listen to something. You are going to need to do better than that.

yuyuyup likes this.
  16. Veho

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Here you go.
    Or if you buy two of these, you get dual analog, baby!

17. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    No matter how much you think you're 100% focused on the road, if you have part of your attention focused on something else, you aren't focused on the road.

18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Ooh potential business in making roadside adblock.

Alternatively that is what they tell everybody and, much like everything else, once you know what you are doing you can ignore such advice.

I do feel kind of bad that we have gone off topic from phone driven goggle screens to something resembling social Darwinism by means of road use though.

19. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I was moreso referring to the obvious fact that the post was dripping with sarcasm and you took it seriously.

20. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Except it wasn't obvious.