Occasional lurker, decided to join.

Natorite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I've been occasionally visiting this forum for a few years but never decided to join until now.

I'm a CS student with a weird passion about developing retro emulators. I'm currently working on a set of Gameboy (DMG only) tools including an emulator (w/ debugger of course), disassembler, and possible an assembler/compiler for my "Capstone" project at my university. I graduate in about a year and a half.

Note on the Capstone: My school has its students do "Capstone" projects before we're allowed to take our Enterprise Projects courses, in which we get together in teams and do projects for companies to get real-world experience for nearly an entire year before graduating. (New project/company every few months). The point of the Capstone project is to show that we are able to go through with a project and that we are competent with our skills and ready to take on a real-world project.

I work as a Software Engineer Intern with a company in the same city as my university, as well as an Academic Coach for the Freshmen and Sophomores at my university.

My main interests in console hacking and emulation design/development has brought me to join here. It's been a while since I've joined a forum and was active, so I'm excited. Looks like a great community here.

Reactions: WeedZ

Natorite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome to the community
Thanks!

Well, it's a pleasure to have you! Retro emulators today, I find, are very lacking in terms of their input lag, so it'll be great to have someone with a passion in that area joining the community. Cool to have you, and I hope you like it here. :)
Can you explain what you mean by their input lag a little better? It might be something I should look into.

At the moment, I'm still working on getting the processor emulation and the VM running smoothly.
Something interesting that I'm trying to do is step away from the "Fetch->Decode->Execute" cycle where the CPU opcodes are interpreted, over to essentially a Just-In-Time dynamic recompilation. It should look something like this (I'm aiming for O(1) times across the board):
  1. Start execution at usual entry point, $100.
  2. For each instruction up until the next branch/jump, store it in a HashSet of Action delegates and execute the instruction.
  3. Once reaching a branch/jump, store the HashSet and original jump address that brought you there into a Dictionary<Address, HashSet<Instruction>>, if the dictionary does not already contain an entry for the jump address.
  4. If the Dictionary contains an entry for the address the jump you've reached wants to jump to, then retrieve that HashSet of instructions and execute through it.
  5. Else, goto 2.
EDIT: Sorry for the swe jargon. The Dictionary and HashSet data structures all have O(1) lookup/access times, so regardless of how big the data gets, I will have no difference in performance. Retrieving a value from a set of 500000 entries will yield the same performance as only have 1 entry.

Last edited by Natorite,

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Input lag is the amount of time that passes between pressing a button and seeing the action on screen. It's the only thing that makes them not worth using for me. Regarding the PSX Retroarch emulator on a raspberry pi, for instance, I haven't been able to get input lags below 8 frames, which makes action games (at least for me) completely unplayable. This post has the full record of my measurements across a few emulators.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RetroPie/comments/5g3561/help_with_input_delays/

But this fellow has done a much more in depth and accurate testing of emulator input lag among different pieces of hardware, and he even speculates on from where exactly the lag is coming.

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/2019/an-input-lag-investigation/2

Maybe his hypotheses can spark an idea for you?

Last edited by Meteor7,

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Input lag would be dependent on the hardware. Running them on a pc would be fine, running them on a calculator would cause issues. You just need to optimize your hardware and lower any unnecessary rendering settings that would take up resources.

Natorite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's interesting. Perhaps it's an issue of having most things on the same thread? I usually plan for my final design versions to have essentially have the emulation, display, and input handling in their own respective little worlds.
I've seen most emulators on Github and other sources do something like "Fetch -> Decode -> Execute -> GetNewInput -> UpdateInput -> ClearDisplay -> DrawDisplay"
Here's a diagram of how I would like to make my Gameboy emulator designed.
With this design, the program flow will have three different asynchronous processes and will look something like this instead of that long process above, effectively keeping the input lag to <= 1ms, and display to 16ms (60fps). The input actually doing anything is dependent of whether or not the code is actually checking the inputs, which just relies on writing optimized code.

NOTE: There may be an issue with this design that I have not encountered yet, but it's the way that I would aim for to design it. I'm also bad at making diagrams, so sorry.
  • Execution:
  • If executing cached code, invoke the delegates until the next jump.
  • If running JIT algorithm, fetch the next opcode from the VM, translate/execute/repeat until next jump.
  • Input:
  • Compile byte (array?) of the input states and send them off to the VM to get written to memory.
  • Display:
  • Grab the data needed (sprites, vram, etc) and draw the next frame.

pAPEohs.png

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Input lag would be dependent on the hardware. Running them on a pc would be fine, running them on a calculator would cause issues. You just need to optimize your hardware and lower any unnecessary rendering settings that would take up resources.
The other guy I linked to was testing on a Windows 10 gaming PC. Additionally, I optimized the settings in RetroPie when doing my tests.

Reactions: WeedZ

Natorite

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome to GBAtemp! I'm Master Dimentio and I hope we see more of you now around here. :P

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm currently out-of-state right now visiting with my parents since I'm on break. They don't have cable/internet at the moment, so I'm having to tether my phone over USB which doesn't really provide a reliable enough connection for my to be decently active. I'm flying back in a few days and should be back in my apartment soon, though!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Hi

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame: