Hacking O3DSXL black screen with solid blue light on boot

ABAJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Hi everyone, please help me out here to see what I did wrong.

I previously had soundhax before updating to 11.6. Before trying to install boot9strap, I had the luma folder on my sd card and deleted it. There was no arm9loader file inside the sd card.

I used the seedminer method (DSiware) to install boot9strap and everything went smoothly, until I exited B9stool and powered off the device.

My 3ds just shows a black screen with solid blue light on boot, even after I have removed the sd card. Going into recovery mode does not work.

I have formatted my card and it did not worked. I have also followed the troubleshooting guide to Black screen on SysNAND boot after Installing boot9strap on the site but it still boots to a black screen, blue solid light (holding start or select did not boot me to anything).

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
if you power off the 3ds, then hold select and power it on, do you get the luma configuration screen?
holding start or select did not boot me to anything
Don't know what could have happened, but I think the only (possible) fix is to get a ntrboot flashcart - it might not help though. There have been others with black screens who haven't been able to fix it.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
D

Deleted User

Usually you get a solid blue light for 3 seconds then the 3ds turns off.That means the sd card doesnt have a boot.firm on the root or there is no boot.firm on the ctrnand.Not sure if that's the case for you.

ABAJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
if you power off the 3ds, then hold select and power it on, do you get the luma configuration screen?

Hi, thank you for the suggestion. It did not worked.

Don't know what could have happened, but I think the only (possible) fix is to get a ntrboot flashcart - it might not help though. There have been others with black screens who haven't been able to fix it.

That is sad to hear. I would love to know why this happened.

Please specify what did you mean with solid blue light (blue power LED), I though you were getting a blue bootrom error.

Before anything try downloading the luma3ds zip and putting the boot.firm to another SD card to discard issues with your current SD.

My apologies. I have tried putting the boot.firm to another SD card, but it's still not working.

Usually you get a solid blue light for 3 seconds then the 3ds turns off.That means the sd card doesnt have a boot.firm on the root or there is no boot.firm on the ctrnand.Not sure if that's the case for you.

That's not the case for me. The solid blue light remains there with/without an sd card.

D

Deleted User

Hi, thank you for the suggestion. It did not worked.

That is sad to hear. I would love to know why this happened.

My apologies. I have tried putting the boot.firm to another SD card, but it's still not working.

That's not the case for me. The solid blue light remains there with/without an sd card.
Well without boot.firm loading your screwed.You could try recovery mode but that might be jumping the gun a bit.You could probably use ntrboothax but you will need to buy a flashcard.

Last edited by ,

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Well without boot.firm loading your screwed.You could try recovery mode but that might be jumping the gun a bit.You could probably use ntrboothax but you will need to buy a flashcard.
Do people read OPs anymore?
Going into recovery mode does not work.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi everyone, please help me out here to see what I did wrong.

I previously had soundhax before updating to 11.6. Before trying to install boot9strap, I had the luma folder on my sd card and deleted it. There was no arm9loader file inside the sd card.

I used the seedminer method (DSiware) to install boot9strap and everything went smoothly, until I exited B9stool and powered off the device.

My 3ds just shows a black screen with solid blue light on boot, even after I have removed the sd card. Going into recovery mode does not work.

I have formatted my card and it did not worked. I have also followed the troubleshooting guide to Black screen on SysNAND boot after Installing boot9strap on the site but it still boots to a black screen, blue solid light (holding start or select did not boot me to anything).
@zoogie claims that bricking with seedminer is impossible, as the installer only overwrites firm0 and even if that goes wrong the 3DS will use firm1 as a fallback.
So I'm not sure how you could have gotten bricked from this. Either you have done something seriously wrong (which I doubt, you'd have to basically flash a non-working .firm that also had a matching .sha file, I don't know if maybe flashing the wrong version of boot9strap could cause this such as flashing the dev version, I would assume that it wouldn't even let you flash a firm file that isn't properly encrypted for that system) or seedminer isn't as brick proof as he thinks.
But either way, you are probably going to need a ntrboot flashcart. Luckily it only costs $20 for a good one: https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=575

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
@zoogie claims that bricking with seedminer is impossible, as the installer only overwrites firm0 and even if that goes wrong the 3DS will use firm1 as a fallback.
So I'm not sure how you could have gotten bricked from this. Either you have done something seriously wrong (which I doubt, you'd have to basically flash a non-working .firm that also had a matching .sha file, I don't know if maybe flashing the wrong version of boot9strap could cause this such as flashing the dev version, I would assume that it wouldn't even let you flash a firm file that isn't properly encrypted for that system) or seedminer isn't as brick proof as he thinks.
But either way, you are probably going to need a ntrboot flashcart. Luckily it only costs $20 for a good one: https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=575
arm9loaderhax + b9sTool = brick, as any decent guide warns (and b9sTool in-app warning).
https://github.com/Plailect/b9sTool/blob/master/source/main.c#L227

Also, although OP says, "checked sd for arm9loaderhax.bin"
https://github.com/AuroraWright/arm9loaderhax/blob/master/payload_stage2/source/main.c#L70
It can also load .bin from nand.

Last edited by zoogie,
Reactions: Quantumcat

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
arm9loaderhax + b9sTool = brick, as any decent guide warns (and b9sTool in-app warning).
https://github.com/Plailect/b9sTool/blob/master/source/main.c#L227

Also, although OP says, "checked sd for arm9loaderhax.bin"
https://github.com/AuroraWright/arm9loaderhax/blob/master/payload_stage2/source/main.c#L70
It can also load .bin from nand.
You might be right about that. It's strange that he had the Luma folder if he never had CFW before.
Having not used B9STool myself I didn't know that was an issue with that particular tool, since the regular SafeB9SInstaller takes that into account. But it makes sense, since B9STool relies on the known-plaintext attack.

Edit: That makes me wonder though, how could someone have A9LH and not even be aware of it? I assumed OP would have mentioned any previous CFW installs.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: zoogie

ABAJ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Thanks for the responses everyone. I did had soundhax before, so arm9loader must have been there all these time. I assumed updating to 11.6 would remove it (hence checking just the sd card) , but it didn't, so I must have bricked it.

I'll be getting a ntrboot flashcart to fix this up. I'll let everyone know how this turns out once it's delivered. Once again, thanks a lot!

Reactions: Quantumcat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte