Hardware O3DS XL Pogo Board

DanTheMan827

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering if there is anyone willing to make and ship me one of the 3DS solder-less pogo boards for the flash chip.

It's my understanding that these can be made so that no case mod is required

I'm in the U.S. and while I CAN solder it's not very good and I don't want to risk my 3DS XL...

Last edited by DanTheMan827,

Red9419

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm wondering if there is anyone willing to make and ship me one of the 3DS solder-less pogo boards for the flash chip.

It's my understanding that these can be made so that no case mod is required

I'm in the U.S. and while I CAN solder it's not very good and I don't want to risk my 3DS XL...
Ive never even heard of that. It would be beter to solder so you can get a good connection to your nand and not get a faulty dump from a pin not being in contact with the " pogo ".

DanTheMan827

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
figured I'd share my internal solderless mod here, I took inspiration from damysteryman's internalized adapter and the numerous solderless mods (most specifically mrtaco's). I loved the clean look and minimal risk of the internalized adapter but needed to be able to use the tool on several xls, so I applied the idea to a pogo pin solution. it's far from perfect and really messy but it definitely works lol, 2.77mb/s read and 2.70mb/s write are speeds I won't lose sleep over :rolleyes:

the materials I used were 30awg wire, prototyping board (2.5mm spacing, 1.6mm thickness), this microsdxc usb reader, this micro usb port (needed to have the front edges filed down slightly to fit), and these pogo pins with which I am very pleased with myself for having hunted down such a suitable part! and also some double sided adhesive foam tape I found in the garage lol, the pressure of the closed housing keeps the tool in place and the garage-weathered adhesive is just sticky enough to keep it from slipping around but not so much that it damages the tool when the housing is separated again. the run with my 3ds was just to see if it worked period, but the pictured 3ds is the girlfriend's, and sure enough it was only nine screws until I was backing up its nand as well :yay: now we can have peace of mind against accidental updates

View attachment 13863View attachment 13862View attachment 13861

edit: also I did this with a $5 walmart soldering iron that I had to file and re-tin twice because the tip was melting, I do not recommend it but anything is possible lmao

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
That requires you modding the 3DS chassis, which invalidates the warranty - if you're invalidating it anyway, it makes more sense to just solder wires, at least you'll be sure that you're getting accurate NAND dumps and not risk getting yourself a nice Nintendo-branded doorstopper.

Now that I think of it, I suppose you could leave the wires hanging in the back cover, which wouldn't invalidate the warranty... but still, I'm not sure how much I'd trust Pogo pins for such a delicate operation as dumping/restoring.

Reactions: Red9419

DanTheMan827

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That requires you modding the 3DS chassis, which invalidates the warranty - if you're invalidating it anyway, it makes more sense to just solder wires, at least you'll be sure that you're getting accurate NAND dumps and not risk getting yourself a nice Nintendo-branded doorstopper.

Now that I think of it, I suppose you could leave the wires hanging in the back cover, which wouldn't invalidate the warranty... but still, I'm not sure how much I'd trust Pogo pins for such a delicate operation as dumping/restoring.
It's not about invalidating the warranty... that's long expired...

It's more about the fact that I'm pretty sure I'd brick it if I tried soldering...

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Message has been sent to you, I did a quick google search as well to see what your talking about. I don't see anyone that manufactured them. Could be made, but cost of supplies probably don't justify making them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Coto @ Coto:
    assembler syntax is dead easy, but "how to put pieces together" logic requires to have in mind the original idea, and the CPU layout, and that's like double the work of C stuff. It's best to write C first, add some unit tests, then go assembly, then run the unit tests
    Gift
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    it can run faster than compiled code, but modern compilers are really good at optimization and you need to be even better at assembly to do a better job
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    with that all your assembler base will actually work
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    even on embedded systems, without a damned debugger
    Gift
    syntax is easy but the code is hard to read, you can't look at a piece of code and expect to understand it without looking at all the code around it to see how it all works together so it takes much longer to read the code, it takes longer to write it too because what might be 1 line of code in C might be 20 lines of assembly
    Gift
    the language is very simple to understand (because it's barely a language at all) understanding how all the instructions work together to form a whole is another matter, in general it's such a pain to work with that i would never recommend it unless you have a need for it. don't listen to this guy and learn assembly just because you want to make your code run faster, you are wasting your time, but if you run into a situation where your code isn't fast enough even after you enabled -Ofast and you NEED it to be faster, then you can consider assembly
    Gift
    @Coto have you tried -Ofast btw? ;)
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I have o fast before but I suspect we are talking different Os lol
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    @The Real Jdbye quite idiotic and frankly, bu
    llshit points as usual you make. Not only because you have no idea what you're talking about, but also because there is proof (both i've seen and maintained) in regards to C and hand-written assembler code, and the speed gain is simply over half the framerate.
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    gbaemu4ds's C ARM and THUMB CPU emulator and GBARunner2's ARM and THUMB handcoded assembly. Just run Yoshi's Island GBA and compare it by yourself.
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    or SnemulDS's C CPU Core vs SnemulDS SnezziDS ARM core. The first running at about 45% (half the speed) vs ~105% (full speed)
    Gift
  • Coto @ Coto:
    yeah, keep believing -Ofast will make everything faster.
    Gift
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    Must ambulate quickly! ~Sonic (a hedgehog)
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Gotta Go Fast diarrhea makes a horrible sound, blue skin and super sick... Probably food poisoning from bad chili dogs.
    Gift
  • KennieDaMeanie @ KennieDaMeanie:
    Huh Betty white was born on mlk day
    Gift
    Slim Jim Monster Sonic Chili Cheese Dog Flavor, 1.94 Oz (Pack Of 18) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MC9KVDG/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_V2DMVRA3YQPJZF2F4Q95
    Gift
  • E @ evanm18:
    why is it so hard to find a list of cheats for gta vice city 1.0.5
    Gift
  • Gift
  • Panzer_Baboon @ Panzer_Baboon:
    Y r u a meanie?
    Gift
    I'm naughty
    Gift
  • S @ SG854: