nvidia sheld tv

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got one of these, but I have a question. I'm trying to get the external hdd from my old media player to work with the nvidia shield. however, it seems like I can't do anything unless I reformat the drive. is that the only way to get the drive to work? will formatting the drive make it usable in windows 10? it's already in ntfs format. it's okay if I have to format, since I made a backup, but I don't know if that's what you're supposed to do. it seems like a pita for large drives. btw, my drive is 2TBs.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
NTFS should be readable just fine on your Shield TV, I've used various USB drives formatted to NTFS without issue.

Do you have multiple partitions on it? I know at one time the Shield could only read the first partition on a drive, which in a lot of cases can tend to be a hidden recovery or EFI partition.

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no, it's only one partition. do you go through "storage and reset"? it shows misc and available. selecting either does nothing.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
To access it, yes, you need to go to Storage and Reset. When there's a USB drive plugged in, it should display an option for USB storage.

If this doesn't come up, it means the HDD might not be recognized at all. What external do you have?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2TB wd elements drive in ntfs format. it shows the drive, but no movie files. do they need to be in a certain folder?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

do I need file explorer?

rmorris003

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No folders do not matter as they will show up like any flash drive, I use 4TB Seagate drives no problem left at their original NTFS settings. My drives are portable and powered.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you supposed to go through a file explorer? that's what I'm doing now, but one series I have on my hdd seems to have no sound. I tried another series' files, and it does have sound. wtf.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one more question. I have the nvidia shield, nes, snes, and psx classics using the same outlet port. is it wise to keep unplugging devices (only plugging in the device you intend to use at that moment)?

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
It's probably fine, you'll wear the outputs on your devices quicker but it's not going to be a major problem.

You should probably look into getting an HDMI switch though, they're like $20 and would make things a lot easier on you

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks. it's not the hdmi that's the problem, it's the power outlets. I don't have the room to have everything plugged in at once. I wasn't sure what would happen with the say the nvidia shield, since you have it go into sleep mode instead of turning it off. should I turn it off completely? 'cause I don't remember that option.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Oh sorry, I read "out port" and assumed HDMI lol.

But yes, you should completely turn it off before unplugging. This can be done by going to "About->Power off", they got rid of them in the usual pop up power menu for some reason lol

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks, man. I'm hoping to watch the star trek cbs series on it with my mom. it's been so long since we've seen the show that we'll probably have to start over. I was using a kdlinks media player, which is really good albeit slow at getting to the files.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
another question -- is there a longer power cable? I bought what I thought was for the nvidia shield, but I got a micro usb. is that what the original used? I think the new ones are usb-c.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
No. The Shield TV's power adapter is a completely proprietary design, it's not USB-C nor was it ever Micro USB.

You probably bought a power adapter for one of the previous Shield devices, both the Shield Portable and the Shield Tablet used Micro USB to charge.

Unfortunately, even just standard replacement AC adapters are super expensive for the Shield TV (like $50, last I recall), and I don't think anyone makes any longer ones than the OEM one you get with the device.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying an extension cable. it works, but for fear of starting a fire, I've toggled off everything else but the one for my wii u gamepad.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol