XP
Country
Reactions: Bladexdsl

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
High end PCs don't have 8-core APUs with real GPUs right on the same die. They also don't use GDDR5 for system RAM; that's got to count for something. If AMD released a similar 8-core chip for the PC with their latest GPU on the die, and a memory controller that can handle something faster than DDR3, Nvidia and Intel would be instantly defeated in one fell swoop.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Now AMD will release Jaguar as a Laptop chip and then we'll have people trying to dual boot laptops with PS4 firmware and Windows.
PS4's "Jaguar" is exclusive - the standard CPU's in this line are up to 4 cores - the PS4 has 8. You might say it's a "Jaguar amongst Jaguars". :tpi:

zanfire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For people thinking that the new consoles are even close to competing with what is possible with building your own PC.

I present the Titan graphics card, and no this will not be coming to a console this gen....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121724

6GB's of 384bit GDDR5 Ram just for the GPU it also features 2688 CUDA Cores and a host of other goodies.

Expensive yes, matched by home consoles? No.

I don't think anyone would think that..especially seeing a console would cost around 400$ and that 1 singular piece is almost triple that. The thing is most games are built with consoles in mind anyways, so having something that jacked in your PC for games is just trying to have a E-peen because you have tons of money to blow.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
High end PCs don't have 8-core APUs with real GPUs right on the same die. They also don't use GDDR5 for system RAM; that's got to count for something. If AMD released a similar 8-core chip for the PC with their latest GPU on the die, and a memory controller that can handle something faster than DDR3, Nvidia and Intel would be instantly defeated in one fell swoop.
Imagine a 4ghz 8-core with a 1ghz HD 7970 on the same die. VERY nice ... except you would need a block of ice resting on the proc to keep it from bursting into flames :P

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For people thinking that the new consoles are even close to competing with what is possible with building your own PC.

I present the Titan graphics card, and no this will not be coming to a console this gen....

6GB's of 384bit GDDR5 Ram just for the GPU it also features 2688 CUDA Cores and a host of other goodies.

What is the relationship between the Titan and GTX 780? I hope they're not the one and the same; the price sets an alarming precedent.

Imagine a 4ghz 8-core with a 1ghz HD 7970 on the same die. VERY nice ... except you would need a block of ice resting on the proc to keep it from bursting into flames :P
That's why the PS4 CPU likely won't crack 2GHz.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
That's why the PS4 CPU likely won't crack 2GHz.
And it also hopefully won't crack $1K
(which is about what those two separate chips run together without any with the cheapest supporting hardware.)

What is the relationship between the Titan and GTX 780? I hope they're not the one and the same; the price sets an alarming precedent.
Actually, I think they are the same thing.

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And it also hopefully won't crack $1K
(which is about what those two separate chips run together without any supporting hardware.)

EDIT : wait, I think I had some bad sources for the prices there.
I had similar thoughts as I was watching the PS4 conference. Perhaps Sony could offer 2-year financing, maybe $199 down and $29 a month? I personally wouldn't mind if it retailed at $429, but I think Sony would lose a mint on every unit at that price.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the first time the Playstation will have specs lower than PCs at launch. When the PS2 came out, it had specs superior to any PC. Same with the PS3 (albeit by a much smaller margin). This is the first time Sony's console isn't a superior powerhouse but merely a comparable (if not inferior) machine at launch. Sure, all the "consoles aren't PCs / better use of hardware / no bulky OS / uniform hardware platform" still applies, but it applied to previous consoles as well - but they also had superior hardware on top of it. Or underneath it? In conjunction with, in any case.

A MIPS Emotion Engine CPU with a 294 MHz clock speed and 32 MB of RDRAM was more powerful than a PC that had an AMD Athlon 1 GHz CPU with 128 MB RAM? RDRAM has issues with severe latency, which killed the N64 hardware-wise.

Reactions: Thanatos Telos

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's entirely debatable and depends on what you consider a high-end PC - you could get PC's with comparable performance both in PS2 and PS3 times as far as I remember. ;)

Yes, and if anything the PS2 was severely lacking in the specs department compared to PC's as well as the eventual competition. The PS3 was not even close to high end gaming systems back when it came out, cards like the Nvidia 9800 GTX were and still are, miles better then the chip in the PS3 in terms of raw performance capability. Heck, the 9800 GTX is still a viable card to use for some games, though most modern systems you are looking at 100-300 dollar graphics cards to run most games really well.

And it's already been proven that in raw gaming performance, Titan is an absolute ripoff.

Reactions: Lanlan

Thanatos Telos

random stuff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, and if anything the PS2 was severely lacking in the specs department compared to PC's as well as the eventual competition. The PS3 was not even close to high end gaming systems back when it came out, cards like the Nvidia 9800 GTX were and still are, miles better then the chip in the PS3 in terms of raw performance capability. Heck, the 9800 GTX is still a viable card to use for some games, though most modern systems you are looking at 100-300 dollar graphics cards to run most games really well.

And it's already been proven that in raw gaming performance, Titan is an absolute ripoff.
Agreed, might as well grab a GTX 690 or an HD 7990 with that kind of cash.

Reactions: Lanlan

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I would have to wait for more mature drivers before I would agree to that statement. It's not uncommon for graphics cards to gain 10-30% depending on the game with just a driver update especially considering it is totally new hardware.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I would have to wait for more mature drivers before I would agree to that statement. It's not uncommon for graphics cards to gain 10-30% depending on the game with just a driver update especially considering it is totally new hardware.
The titan is two GTX 680 cores, but clocked a bit lower. The GTX 680 runs from $430 to $580 on Newegg right now, so assuming the titan retails at $1,000 average, it's less dollar->performance than other cards.

Which is to be expected in general. Once you hit the high end, the price-performance line becomes a wall.

ov3rkill

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Consoles are still awesome. They're cheaper and won't be replaced for another 10 to 15 years. :)
Just remember it's not all about the specifications, power and capability, but the library of games it carries.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Consoles are still awesome. They're cheaper and won't be replaced for another 10 to 15 years. :)
Just remember it's not all about the specifications, power and capability, but the library of games it carries.
> console versus pc
> console game library

wtf.gif

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's pretty hard to compete with power of PCs when you have people wiling to pay $3000 in high end PCs but you only have one PS4 that will cost about $400~$500. Taking into account the relation between power and cost the PS4 is a clear winner. But with the prices of consoles this high, I still think it's worth getting an upgrade in your PC instead of investing in a next-gen console (if you're a graphics person at least)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.