Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It is capable of three card SLI and SLI is four cores max. This may be the GTX 685; the 780 will likely be more advanced.
SLI/Crossfire just cause even more sliding off the proper end of the price-performance scale (which is why you never see it in consoles or any setup that's cost-efficient).

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you buy a Playstation 4 you don't have to "upgrade" for probably 5-7 years.

Also "boohoo sony is evil they'll overprice it." Get a grip. Instead of having the asspull notion of "Sony will overprice the thing because Sony", maybe either A) keep your trap shut until an official announcement is made or B) find facts to support this claim. Currently the strongest rumor is a $430 minimum price (for a "basic" model) and a $530 max price (for a "premium" model) although these are apparently conversions from yen (so it'll probably go down to $400 and $500 respectively). Which isn't overpriced at all.

EDIT: And yeah, if I spend like $2000 on a PC I won't have to upgrade it for a while but I'm spending 2000 fucking dollars on a PC. For $2000 I could buy a Playstation and like at least 20 brand spankin' new games and still have money to spare.

At least the PC is backwards compatible with older games, and you don't have to pay a fucking subscription to play online, you aren't forced to use proprietary hardware like the Xbox hard drives or laptop drives like in the PS3 that all run at 5400 RPM and use SATA2 connectivity, which is slow in this day in age with mechanical drives. Tell me, is there any justification in buying a console when, after 5 years, the graphics are horribly dated and the games have 60 second loading times? Sorry, but even if you don't upgrade a PC for 5 years, you can get better performance out of it graphics wise then a console if you invest more initially. Hell, dump 3 grand into a system and it will last at least 6 years before starting to look obsolete.

I can't even being to imagine how butthurt console fanboys are going to be if the PS4 and Xbox are priced in the 600+ dollar range.

rumor has it that the 720 will need a permanent online connection :creep:

If they do cloud gaming, I would imagine so. People would be so pissed off over that!

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least the PC is backwards compatible with older games, and you don't have to pay a fucking subscription to play online, you aren't forced to use proprietary hardware like the Xbox hard drives or laptop drives like in the PS3 that all run at 5400 RPM and use SATA2 connectivity, which is slow in this day in age with mechanical drives. Tell me, is there any justification in buying a console when, after 5 years, the graphics are horribly dated and the games have 60 second loading times? Sorry, but even if you don't upgrade a PC for 5 years, you can get better performance out of it graphics wise then a console if you invest more initially. Hell, dump 3 grand into a system and it will last at least 6 years before starting to look obsolete.

I can't even being to imagine how butthurt console fanboys are going to be when the PS3 and 360 are priced in the 600+ dollar range.

Where's that source on the forced online subscription? Oh, lemme guess, it was a rumor that has had no follow up from months ago. It is because I read it.

You buy a console because you're not jaded enough to spend $2000 on a PC. Like if you make a disgusting amount of money and want to spend it, good for you. But for someone like me who doesn't make a whole lot, a PS4 is truly next gen gaming at an affordable price.

I think the PC is a great platform but I sometimes find its fans to have too much of a pompous stick up the ass. Congratulations on spending $1000+ on your gaming console. I'll have just as much fun with my $400 console.

The justification for buying a console is that it's not like $1000+. Some people are adults and they have expenses to pay for. Like living and stuff. Sometimes they want to get entertainment but not starve for a couple of weeks. That's where consoles come in.

EDIT: And yes, keep telling yourself that next gen consoles will be $600+. If it helps you sleep at night in some delusional state of mind where Sony is worse than the mafia, then do so.

Reactions: Scuba156

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you aren't forced to use proprietary hardware like the Xbox hard drives

For the record the original 360 used a custom case, which cost next to nothing, around a laptop sata drive and the slim is also sata but with a custom shell.
Admittedly there are very few models of hard drive you can use with them unless you properly hack it and I will be first in line to join a bitching session about how they think they can charge as much as they did during the times they did but fully proprietary is a bit of a stretch.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the record the original 360 used a custom case, which cost next to nothing, around a laptop sata drive and the slim is also sata but with a custom shell.
Admittedly there are very few models of hard drive you can use with them unless you properly hack it and I will be first in line to join a bitching session about how they think they can charge as much as they did during the times they did but fully proprietary is a bit of a stretch.

Also the Xbox lets you use your own external hard drives up to 16GB as a Xbox hard drive.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also the Xbox lets you use your own external hard drives up to 16GB as a Xbox hard drive.

I eat 16 GB of data for breakfast. That amount of storage is almost irrelevant now, and it will certainly be next gen when games are using huge installs on consoles because optical media is too slow to stream the kinds of data that we are getting into these days. DLC included, many games are pushing 16 GB of storage use, hell Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition on Steam is over 24 GB.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
NVIDIA, it's a console, what do you expect? It doesn't really matter, if the PS4 is comparable to a low-end PC, the WiiU is comparable to the shit I use at school.

Specs don't matter very much for consoles as long as the games, especially multi-plats, are optimized enough to run well on one or more consoles of the same generation. As long as, theoretically, a game from one console can be ported to another without loosing too much fidelity, we won't end up with the Wii situation this gen, and for console gamers, it won't matter as much either.

As for PCs, members of the holy master race must have the best, and therefore, specs do matter, simply because we care about them, and we care about the increase in visual fidelity and choice that requires higher-end specs, as well as running a heavyweight OS and background programs.

Console gamers don't care as much, setting aside blatant fanboyism, about graphics, as long as it's comparable to the other consoles. They chose consoles for ease of access and price, not for the satisfaction of knowing that your $800 PC can run most games at higher settings than PCs, that you have a superior selection of control methods and games, but that they can simply boot up the console, take up a controller, and play their favourite games.

They don't really care for choice or graphics that much, just that it looks reasonably nice, it's easy to use, it doesn't cost $800 dollars, and that it has games that they want to play.

Specs don't matter as much for consoles than they do for PCs simply because consoles don't require high-end specs as much as a PC does.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Where's that source on the forced online subscription? Oh, lemme guess, it was a rumor that has had no follow up from months ago. It is because I read it.

You buy a console because you're not jaded enough to spend $2000 on a PC. Like if you make a disgusting amount of money and want to spend it, good for you. But for someone like me who doesn't make a whole lot, a PS4 is truly next gen gaming at an affordable price.

I think the PC is a great platform but I sometimes find its fans to have too much of a pompous stick up the ass. Congratulations on spending $1000+ on your gaming console. I'll have just as much fun with my $400 console.

The justification for buying a console is that it's not like $1000+. Some people are adults and they have expenses to pay for. Like living and stuff. Sometimes they want to get entertainment but not starve for a couple of weeks. That's where consoles come in.

EDIT: And yes, keep telling yourself that next gen consoles will be $600+. If it helps you sleep at night in some delusional state of mind where Sony is worse than the mafia, then do so.

lol, my PC didn't cost more then 1200 dollars and I am running two graphics cards. It's not hard to build a good system if you know what you are looking for and are willing to wait for deals to buy it. I never buy my parts at regular price, I paid 75 dollars for a memory module set that is regularly 115 for instance. Everyone can afford a decent gaming computer and only morons think you actually need to spend a 2,000 dollars on a system in order to get good performance. Everything except for BF3, Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 runs at maximum settings on my computer and even then, BF3 runs better on Nvidia cards then it does AMD.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I eat 16 GB of data for breakfast. That amount of storage is almost irrelevant now, and it will certainly be next gen when games are using huge installs on consoles because optical media is too slow to stream the kinds of data that we are getting into these days. DLC included, many games are pushing 16 GB of storage use, hell Dragon Age Origins: Ultimate Edition on Steam is over 24 GB.

Well yeah but I don't know why you're criticizing hard drive space on the PS3 when I think the only models in production offer 250GB or 500GB. That's ample storage.

You're crying over nonexistent information. If the delusion of Sony as terrible designers who are worse than the mafia keeps you running, then go for it. Just don't try to pass off the information you make up as "facts".

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well yeah but I don't know why you're criticizing hard drive space on the PS3 when I think the only models in production offer 250GB or 500GB. That's ample storage.

You're crying over nonexistent information. If the delusion of Sony as terrible designers who are worse than the mafia keeps you running, then go for it. Just don't try to pass off the information you make up as "facts".

GBAtemp has finally created a proper Sony meme of it's own!

Reactions: Guild McCommunist

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
$2000
[...]
$1000+
[...]
$1000+
For calling somebody out on their misinformation in that post, you surely seem misinformed here. And dare I say... trollish? Especially considering I specifically pointed out a prebuilt gaming PC to you in a previous thread that was much less than these numbers you're pulling out of your ass.

Here's some more links, as a refresher.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227437
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883256203
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229390
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220258

If you don't like people that purposely stretch the truth and spout misinformation in order to push their own ideas make sure you're not doing it too.

Lanlan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that every PC games ever cost like $5 bucks, console games cost like $60. You pay more for the hardware with PCs but much less for the software.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Keep in mind that every PC games ever cost like $5 bucks, console games cost like $60. You pay more for the hardware with PCs but much less for the software.
I wouldn't go nearly that far. Software on the PC is relatively cheaper, but games on consoles get discounted at retail too eventually, if they sell long enough (Playstation Greatest Hits and whatever). Take note that part of the reason Steam and such can offer such deals is due to the lack of physical transport (and for example Wiiware+VC and PSX-on-PSP titles are cheap using the combination of ideas). When talking physical deals, PC game sales are more in-line with the console ideas in that they get discounted later, and to a lesser degree.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no you don't need to buy appz on the pc :creep:

Well if you're a good little boy then it'll set you back roughly $2,600.

Hell I think even Microsoft Office is a bit pricey. I thought it was $100+ but its been years since I bought it (I mostly use OpenOffice now).

BUT I DIGRESS.

And sorry for my PC price overestimations if they truly are that, I wasn't "trolling", that was just my ignorance I suppose.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
WHO buys apps?! :lol:

maybe windows is only app you need to buy the rest aw yeh
smileypirate.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
You ever buy an Adobe product? Odds are you'll pay more for the Adobe Master Collection than your next two PCs.
... so? That's not really relevant to gaming, even if you try to call in the "you want an image editor if you do reviews", really expensive software isn't needed. Time-lapse of a full digital painting illustration made by some french guy, with only free and open-source programs.

And I say "$1000+" because a friend of mine built his for $1200 years ago.
But I'm not looking at 360 Elite Hyper 2TB With Seven Games bundles and listing them as the console price to be fair, I'm mentioning the price for the retail consoles themselves. :P

Hell I think even Microsoft Office is a bit pricey. I thought it was $100+ but its been years since I bought it (I mostly use OpenOffice now).
Most people use alternatives or get student discounts nowadays if they really need Legit Office For Closed-Source Tasks™.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Jayro @ Jayro: Thanks for that bundle, I had the games already but got all the DLC for them for just $5. What a... +1