Hacking (NTSC-U Only) Startpatch 4.0 Vs. Preloaer hacks

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I have my Wii all set up, everything except for this final issue. I did not install StartPatch 4.0 yet because I wanted to use Preloader Hacks. The hacks.ini is supposed to be the proper one that allows for region free gaming on 4.0. Here's my question. Has anyone had ANY sucess with getting region free gaming through StartParch? I'm thinking maybe I should format my card again and this time only out the hacks.ini file on my SD card but I doubt preloader will pick up on it.I cant quite understand what the issue is! And YES I know that the hacks.ini file is supposed to be on the root of the card. I have been using preloader for month y' kno. This is the only thing keeping me from playing anything right now. Its not just region free but I need the no copy patch so i can place my save files back onto my Wii. I really dont want to have to start all 50 plus games, only to have to delete save files and transfer old ones. That takes longer than just transferring the old files. If anyone IS using Startpatch 4.0 on a NTSC-U unit, do you know if it has a no copy patch for the save files and DOES IT ACTUALLY WORK? No offense to the Arthur of Startpatch but I havent had much luck getting "all" the patches to work. *sigh* Anywho, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

imapterodactyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LightyKD said:
Ok, I have my Wii all set up, everything except for this final issue. I did not install StartPatch 4.0 yet because I wanted to use Preloader Hacks. The hacks.ini is supposed to be the proper one that allows for region free gaming on 4.0. Here's my question. Has anyone had ANY sucess with getting region free gaming through StartParch? I'm thinking maybe I should format my card again and this time only out the hacks.ini file on my SD card but I doubt preloader will pick up on it.I cant quite understand what the issue is! And YES I know that the hacks.ini file is supposed to be on the root of the card. I have been using preloader for month y' kno. This is the only thing keeping me from playing anything right now. Its not just region free but I need the no copy patch so i can place my save files back onto my Wii. I really dont want to have to start all 50 plus games, only to have to delete save files and transfer old ones. That takes longer than just transferring the old files. If anyone IS using Startpatch 4.0 on a NTSC-U unit, do you know if it has a no copy patch for the save files and DOES IT ACTUALLY WORK? No offense to the Arthur of Startpatch but I havent had much luck getting "all" the patches to work. *sigh* Anywho, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

What is the issue with the Preloader hacks? Is it that Preloader isn't seeing them? You're not clear on that. If you're using the hacks.ini that came with Preloader, and you are on 4.0U, then you'll see next to no hacks listed as the vast majority are for PAL. For the updated US hacks, look here:

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Preloader/hacks

Copy the hacks for your region and paste them into your hacks.ini on the root of your SD card, and Preloader should see them. Also, I don't recall if Preloader .29 supports SDHC or not... are you using an SDHC card? Perhaps try with another SD card.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imapterodactyl said:
LightyKD said:

What is the issue with the Preloader hacks? Is it that Preloader isn't seeing them? You're not clear on that. If you're using the hacks.ini that came with Preloader, and you are on 4.0U, then you'll see next to no hacks listed as the vast majority are for PAL. For the updated US hacks, look here:

http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Preloader/hacks

Copy the hacks for your region and paste them into your hacks.ini on the root of your SD card, and Preloader should see them. Also, I don't recall if Preloader .29 supports SDHC or not... are you using an SDHC card? Perhaps try with another SD card.

If you only knew how many times I got the SDHC question
tongue.gif
. The only SD cards I have are a 256mb, 1Gb and 2Gb cards

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well At this rate I figure I could just pop in the Windows HDD, backup everything on the card, format the card and then place everything back... maybe that will work.

techboy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
For the nocopy that works on NTSC-U, yes it works. Using it myself...I think i have the one off the wiibrew wiki page from above.

As for having to start all 50 games and delete the saves, i think that'll be needed even with the patch. Had you used the wii backup disc, you could have restored all 50 easily.

And before someone asks, yes that backup disc works on 4.0 if run via USB Loader with cIOS rev9. Rev10 does not work, it runs but can't find the SD card. (This is how i did it. Used it to back it all up, formatted, re-hacked, upgraded, ran it again to restore the backup.)

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok here's a new question... If I install patches with startpatch as a temp fix, would I be able to install preloader hacks afterwards? I'm jonesing to play Excitebots and I dont want to wait another day.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
afif95 said:
Dude, have you or have you not read the old thread?

1) Sorry for my air-headedness. I just have to many projects around me to look at old threads

2) I finally got my Hacks.ini working. Thank you everyone for dealing with me and for your help. It was basically another Mac to PC issue. While OSX can format drives, disc and cards to windows format, its not as good as just doing it off of a windows platform. I love my Mac HDD but I had to pop in the windows HDD, give the card a good re-format and now I'm all good to go.

3) As for the no save copy thingy, It looks as if Im going to have to pop in 35 games tonight but i'll do it after watching the President's speech tonight.

4) After all the hard work, slaving over my Wii and burning all these Dreamcast games, I'm going to celebrate with some ExciteBots. If anyone is interested in a race, PM me your friend code
biggrin.gif

D

Deleted User

Glad it worked out for you. Just remember two things. GBATemp is not a blog and there's the edit button if you want to add more info
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1