Homebrew NTSC games with RGB Scart: red screen

marchrius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm using USB Loader GX. NTSC games are in red using RGB scart, since NTSC Wii doesn't support RGB and thinks that you're using component (or s-video, can't remember).

With component and composite there are no problems BUT: my TV doesn't have component and composite is horrible.

I forced PAL60 and it worked for some games; then I tried Mario Super Sluggers and got a black screen and a freeze. Tried everything: video patches, PAL50, PAL60 etc. always black screen. Using NTSC, it works, but everything is red :(

I think it should be an easy fix (software-wise) but I found nothing on the internetz: everyone is saying that you should force PAL60 (which doesn't work for every game), get a PAL copy (not an option with Sluggers since it's NTSC only) or switch to composite or component (can't do that, already explained why).

Any help?

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What about hdmi? You can buy a Wii to hdmi off amazon for a reasonable price these days, this will give you a component out of sorts, removing the dreaded red screen-RGB-NTSC problem...

marchrius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think I can get a TV with component, so I'll simply buy the component cable :) third-party ones are much worse than official one?

ploder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I use monster component cables which are pretty good but I don't have official component to test. I have seen official on another TV and it looked about the same as mine (difficult to say because to test thoroughly you would need to test both on the same TV). I think you have the same idea as me with NTSC games, because we can (hopefully) force pal60 to get RGB on crt and still keep native 480p if we switch to HDTV. The best output for the display currently being used:lol:

I have the same problem as you OP. Does NTSC Luigi's Mansion and Smash Bros work for you with PAL60 because for me they black screen and freeze the Wii. I found something out which may be relevant. If you set USB Loader GX's global settings to force PAL60 Nintendont won't use it when loading a game even if it is set to 'use global'. I have to set force PAL60 both as a global setting and individually via each game setting otherwise it just loads in NTSC with red tint. I think this is important because any global settings like region patch and vidtv might not be applied to Nintendont just like with force PAL60. The region patch option doesn't appear for me as an individual game setting for Nintendont. If it did then perhaps we could solve our problem with the red tint.

I can't find much info but wasn't region patch and vidtv supposed to solve video mode problems? What is the difference between 'on/all'? What exactly is the problem with some games and loading RGB that doesn't allow force pal60?

marchrius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, RGB would be great for NTSC games, component is great and all but I strongly wanted to play my Wii on a CRT with RGB since every game from NES to Wii looks so beautiful on CRTs (except maybe Wii games that don't support 4:3 like Xenoblade). I'd pick 480i on CRT-RGB over 480p on LCD/Plasma-Component any day. Oh well, guess I'll just use a small LCD with component. At least I get 16:9.

I still haven't tried Nintendont, only have USB Loader GX for Wii games and settings definitely sticks so that's not the problem for me. Since I can't use RGB I'm currently using a composite cable and "disc default" setting for every game.

Technically it should be very possible to fix this red problem w/out having to force PAL60 at all: the red problem is a software one, the game "thinks" that you're using S-video and gives a "wrong" signal which theoretically should be simple to correct. Unfortunately, nobody seemed to care too much about this issue. Wondering if resoldering inside the RGB cable would solve this problem, at the cost of screwing up PAL games and Wii's system menu if set on PAL.

edit: I read that Neogamma, USB Loader 1.1 and probably other loaders have the proper video patches for this problem

Reactions: ploder

ploder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Technically it should be very possible to fix this red problem w/out having to force PAL60 at all: the red problem is a software one, the game "thinks" that you're using S-video and gives a "wrong" signal which theoretically should be simple to correct. Unfortunately, nobody seemed to care too much about this issue. Wondering if resoldering inside the RGB cable would solve this problem, at the cost of screwing up PAL games and Wii's system menu if set on PAL.

edit: I read that Neogamma, USB Loader 1.1 and probably other loaders have the proper video patches for this problem
I think Neogamma does, but here's the catch. Even though you can use USB it seems Neogamma only supports WBFS formatted drives (not just a WBFS folder on the hard drive like we use for Wii games) which no-one uses anymore and are not compatible with fat32 (32k cluster for gamecube game compatibility). I have Neogamma from when I first softmodded my Wii and it definitely doesn't recognise my fat32 usb hard drive.

I don't think it would necessary require any modding of the RGB cable. More like a patch for the ISO? Even cheat codes can be used to patch video mode. Well, I know that is possible for PS2 during my time softmodding that console...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: