NSMBW Mod "An error occurred" message

CharPaks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been making a level mod for NSMBW using the Reggie! level editor, and I run this mod by extracting the files and replacing them with WIT. However, whenever I run the game, somewhere around the 6 minute mark, it crashes and shows the message "An error has occured, please eject the disk and turn off the console" (paraphrased). I am running the game off of a USB flash drive with USB Loader GX. The flash drive is formatted as WBFS and works perfectly for all of my other Wii games. Does anyone have any solution for this?

Edit: I can post a sys-check, if you need that. Also, I swapped the levels back to the original ones by recompiling with the original ones, and it still shows up. Tried with multiple flash drives, still shows up. Still trying to find a solution and will post here if I do with how I got it working

Last edited by CharPaks,

CheeseBurgerwithLove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried other games to see if that error appears?

If it appears in other games that error means that your reader unit (dont confuse with optical disc) is dying.

When you launch a game eiher by disc or hdd the console does a check to see if the reader unit is working. If it detects that something is wrong that error appears.

if the error doesn't show up in other games then i guess it must be something related to the game you are modding. I've heard that NSMBW carries AP protection and throws that error, although it shouldn't happen using an updated loader anyway.

CharPaks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried different games, and they work fine. I've never had them crash like that. I've tried to use WiiFlow, in case that makes a difference, but I can't get it to show my games. NSMBW launches and works just fine, just crashes out of the blue at the same time every time.
Post automatically merged:

Update: I tried WiiFlow and got it to work, same result.

Last edited by CharPaks,

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was getting this same error myself recently -- different game though, and at the start rather than several minutes in. What fixed it for me was changing which cIOS was being used to load the game, instead of having it set to Auto IOS. I'm not sure if that will fix your issue, but it's worth a shot.

Having done searches, it seems like this wasn't an uncommon issue with NSMBW in the past either, apparently loaders used to have a setting for dealing with it (shows you how recently I got into homebrew), an "Error 002 fix" option. I didn't find that in my up-to-date version of USB Loader GX though.

Anyway, try changing which cIOS is being used for NSMBW in the loader. Hopefully that solves your issue; if not, we can troubleshoot further.

CharPaks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have any idea what cIOS I can use? I don't really have any idea what cIOSs do, nor how to troubleshoot them. Although, based on what I've done with cIOSs and the default settings in USB Loader GX, it seems something like 249, 250, or 251 would work. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by CharPaks,

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Go ahead and post a syscheck so we can see what your cIOSes are.

Also, do you have a backup copy of the unmodified game? I know you said you put things back and recompiled it, but there's a chance for error doing that. What version of USB Loader GX are you using, too?

You say it happens at about the 6 minute mark, at the same location or same part of the game or something? What part specifically, what's happening just before the error? Is it attempting to save? Is it attempting to load something new, like another level or another area of the level?

CharPaks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have a backup copy of NSMBW that works completely fine. It can crash anywhere. I could be in the level selection, main menu, in the middle of a level, it just always happens at some point. I'm using the latest USB Loader GX (can't recall the name, but the Homebrew Browser says it's up-to-date.) Here's the SysCheck:
SysCheck ME v2.5.0 by blackb0x, JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199 and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).

Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 02.13.2007
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58

Console ID: 7461****
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 92 titles.
Found 48 IOS on this console. 14 of them are stubs.

IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 256): Stub
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 256): Stub
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 2816): Stub
IOS31 (rev 3608): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 3072): Stub
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 5120): Stub
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 5888): Stub
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6400): Stub
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6912): Stub
IOS80 (rev 6944): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS222 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS223 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS248[38] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v11beta1): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS249[56] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v11beta1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v11beta1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v11beta1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 07/26/2023.

CheeseBurgerwithLove

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: leejaclane

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do have a backup copy of NSMBW that works completely fine.
So the problem is just with files you've modified? That's what you're saying, right?

If that's the case, you might get better help looking on a website or forum dedicated to modding Wii games -- or if the title of the thread was different, less specific to NSMBW?

I know, or I think, there are some people on here who have posted their own Wii game mods (not the patched game itself, of course, since that would contain copyrighted material, but instead a patcher that you'd provide your own files for).

I'd suggest doing searches on modding Wii games and NSMBW specifically, as someone familiar with modding NSMBW to run in USB Loader GX would be better able to troubleshoot this issue for you. There might be someone on this forum who could, but they might not see this thread here.

CharPaks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the problem is just with files you've modified? That's what you're saying, right?
It would seem that way. With the original files it still occurs. But the original game file? Works completely fine. I believe it to be an issue with WIT, the tool I used to compile it.

I'll try to find support somewhere else on this forum, or elsewhere in general.

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would seem that way. With the original files it still occurs. But the original game file? Works completely fine. I believe it to be an issue with WIT, the tool I used to compile it.

I'll try to find support somewhere else on this forum, or elsewhere in general.
Sorry I couldn't help more, hopefully someone else on here can or if not on here then on another website. Maybe I'll try to do some searches myself later to see if I can come up with answers.

leejaclane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was telling you like 2 centuries ago but you ignored it.
Well, you found the reason for the problem.
Most likely "AP" was simply not understood to mean "anti-piracy" rather than that being intentionally ignored, or else what you said was disregarded because -- as you said yourself -- the up to date loaders shouldn't be having this issue with the anti-piracy measures. I don't think it's that you were being deliberately ignored.

I don't have much familiarity with this stuff, but would the old fix still work to get the modded game working? The main.dol is the executable for the game, right? So if you used a patched main.dol, either in the recompiled version or with the alternate main.dol setting in USB Loader GX, that should fix this problem, right?

CharPaks

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was telling you like 2 centuries ago but you ignored it.
Yes, but as @leejaclane pointed out, I did not understand that "AP" meant "anti-piracy." Now I know. And according to the same person on Reddit, it does have a cheat code that by-passes the anti-piracy, but it only works for PAL. If I change the region for the game, do you think this might work?

The cheat code in question:
Code:
040CA0B8 60000000

Edit: Currently trying this, will come back with more info
Edit 2: Cannot figure out custom codes in USB Loader GX, and cannot find patched main.dol for NSMBW. I will keep looking.
Post automatically merged:

Edit 3: I got it working! I found an NTSC-U cheat code that did its thing and it's not happening anymore! I've linked the NTSC-U cheat code down below so people who have this same issue can get this working. It says there's no cheat code (in the Ocarina menu) in USB Loader GX (when using a custom .gtc file made on https://mariokartwii.com/gct/), but if you make sure Ocarina is on and have the file in SD:/codes/ then everything should work.
Code:
Cheat Code:
040C9FC8 60000000

Thanks to all of you for helping me with this, as I really appreciate it.

Last edited by CharPaks,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto