Homebrew Not64 Update

InfiniteBlue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, tons of updates in the last month! You rock Extrems, thanks for taking the time for this. I thought N64 emulator development on Wii was never going to pick up again.

Is there a changelist anywhere to get an overview of what was added/fixed?

Reactions: Wishi

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Amazing release, @Extrems. Popular games are full speed almost everytime now (Banjo Kazooei/Tooei, Goldeneye, Conker), others are more playable (Extreme G), and even titles which work now, like Chameleon Twist. NBA Hang Time runs very slow in-game, but looks very nice. Others like Dr. Mario 64, Magical Tetris and The New Tetris still won't show the puzzle pieces, but are slowly getting there. Special mention to Mega Man 64 that runs almost perfect now, from what i could quickly check.

Just 2 bugs that i encountered: If your Wii U Pro Controller turns off because of inactivity, it will come back detected like a Wii Classic Controller, but input won't work again. The other one was related to sound, sometimes if you go back to Not64 menu when sound is being produced, a high-pitched note will stay on the menu too.

Last edited by niuus,

DeezTits

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, tons of updates in the last month!... Is there a changelist anywhere...?

Does it make up for only ~4 updates in the last 2 years? Is it functional? Does it play any game fully? What controllers does it support? WiiU gamepad? Gamecube controller adpater, perhaps? Who knows! There's no changelog. Testing blindly having it randomly crash my system is old now. The WiiU is a sturdy piece of hardware, but I imagine it can only take so many hard crash reboots.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it make up for only ~4 updates in the last 2 years? Is it functional? Does it play any game fully? What controllers does it support? WiiU gamepad? Gamecube controller adpater, perhaps? Who knows! There's no changelog. Testing blindly having it randomly crash my system is old now. The WiiU is a sturdy piece of hardware, but I imagine it can only take so many hard crash reboots.

If you have an original Wii to play it on, it would be a lot faster to load up and test it on IMO. I'd rather sacrifice my Wii to test than a Wii U. Many games do run full speed now, some games that used to crash no longer do, but it still can only go so far on a 729 MHz PPC CPU.

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Amazing release, @Extrems. Popular games are full speed almost everytime now (Banjo Kazooei/Tooei, Goldeneye, Conker), others are more playable (Extreme G), and even titles which work now, like Chameleon Twist. NBA Hang Time runs very slow in-game, but looks very nice. Others like Dr. Mario 64, Magical Tetris and The New Tetris still won't show the puzzle pieces, but are slowly getting there. Special mention to Mega Man 64 that runs almost perfect now, from what i could quickly check.

Just 2 bugs that i encountered: If your Wii U Pro Controller turns off because of inactivity, it will come back detected like a Wii Classic Controller, but input won't work again. The other one was related to sound, sometimes if you go back to Not64 menu when sound is being produced, a high-pitched note will stay on the menu too.

Thats great to hear. btw chameleon twist has been working for at least 4 years. I know cuz ive had it on my wii for that long. I'm gonna test banjo/tooie, goldeneye, perfect dark, and conker when I have the chance.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

oh and has anyone tested castlevania, dk64, quake 2, or turok 2 on this latest build? I would but i just dont have time this week

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thats great to hear. btw chameleon twist has been working for at least 4 years.
I never tested outside of the Japanese Kamereon Tsuisuto (the one i am using), since i am not interested in the PAL or USA release, but good to hear =D. Works 100% now for me.

Out of the other games, i only play Doom and DK64, which were totally fine in a quick gameplay.

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A good way to test to see if the poking vertex issue remains is letting the demo run/auto play a bit, when Donkey Kong swings on the ropes.

Edit: Ninja'd

hey random, youre always testing this. can u test castlevania, quake 2, and turok 2? and do the rare games really run a bit smoother now? PD, goldeneye, banjos, conker, etc.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey random, youre always testing this. can u test castlevania, quake 2, and turok 2? and do the rare games really run a bit smoother now? PD, goldeneye, banjos, conker, etc.

I can test those and get back with ya. Banjo Kazooie runs buttery smooth, Conker's Bad Fur Day does as well, but you need to use the EU version, NTSC crashes.

Edit: I should point out I've been running Not 64 on vWii mode unlocked (full Wii U CPU clock speed).

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can test those and get back with ya. Banjo Kazooie runs buttery smooth, Conker's Bad Fur Day does as well, but you need to use the EU version, NTSC crashes.

Edit: I should point out I've been running Not 64 on vWii mode unlocked (full Wii U CPU clock speed).

I prefer using the normal wii. I dont know what you mean by "vwii unlocked" ?

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer using the normal wii. I dont know what you mean by "vwii unlocked" ?

Fix94 has programmed a method of unlocking the full clock speed of the Wii U's CPU when you run a homebrew app in Wii mode. It's a bit of a tricky process, but the games that run on Not 64 run full speed, even with the interpreter core enabled. But I have a regular Wii as well that I can hook up. So yes, on Wii U's Wii mode, the CPU is unlocked and runs at 1.125 GHz instead of 729 MHz.

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fix94 has programmed a method of unlocking the full clock speed of the Wii U's CPU when you run a homebrew app in Wii mode. It's a bit of a tricky process, but the games that run on Not 64 run full speed, even with the interpreter core enabled. But I have a regular Wii as well that I can hook up. So yes, on Wii U's Wii mode, the CPU is unlocked and runs at 1.125 GHz instead of 729 MHz.

I talk to fix often, i was pretty actively involved with wiiflow in its hayday(i believe im in the credits). yea i havent ever heard him mention this to me, crazy. is there a thread about this? link? This is crazy news to me. I remember it being talked about long ago but didnt know it ever happend. Ill ask him about it when hes awake.

and if this is true, wouldnt it make any slow psx game run fullspeed as well, and any retroarch cores that had slowdown

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I talk to fix often, i was pretty actively involved with wiiflow in its hayday(i believe im in the credits). yea i havent ever heard him mention this to me, crazy. is there a thread about this? link? This is crazy news to me. I remember it being talked about long ago but didnt know it ever happend. Ill ask him about it when hes awake.

and if this is true, wouldnt it make any slow psx game run fullspeed as well, and any retroarch cores that had slowdown

Yes, I don't remember the exact page, but it's on this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release...homebrew-support.483577/page-190#post-7631687

And yes, the PSX games that work, also run at full speed. So any and all speed issues are negated completely, the caveat is you have to install WiiSXR and Not64 as channels on the Wii U menu. I'll try to track down the exact posts he linked the channels on.

seam

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: the_randomizer

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm sleepy good night