Homebrew Not getting banned help.

TribstyAnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got banned on my last cfw'ed 3ds. That 3ds got a huge screen crack. I bought a new one and installed boot9strap using NTRBoot and a compatible flashcard. I currently have to wierless disabled, as I don't want to get banned again. I remeber hearing something somewhere about an cia program or something called chameleon mode that hides your cfw from Nintendo. I was wondering if this is actually a thing, or if I was remembering wrong. Thanks :)

I have already followed the steps most people recommend, like turning off your friends list, and selecting to not send information to Nintendo.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Serious question... If you were that worried about a ban why did you install CFW?

The only (semi) guaranteed way to not get banned is to use your system as close to stock as possible; basically not using the CFW you just installed. Other than that, you've already done everything. As for the "chameleon" thing it's already part of the guide and wasn't implemented to hide CFW usage from Nintendo's servers (you literally can't stop sending them info if you ever turn on wi-fi, if you actual never turn it on, you've banned yourself anyway) it was more a method to hide the existence of CFW on the console through normal usage so if it were checked for CFW it would most likely not be discovered.

That said, not one person here can tell you for a fact what will get you banned and what won't. All we know is what information is collected, not when or what parts of said info are used to drop the hammer. Just exercise common sense when using your console and you should be fine.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got banned on my last cfw'ed 3ds. That 3ds got a huge screen crack. I bought a new one and installed boot9strap using NTRBoot and a compatible flashcard. I currently have to wierless disabled, as I don't want to get banned again. I remeber hearing something somewhere about an cia program or something called chameleon mode that hides your cfw from Nintendo. I was wondering if this is actually a thing, or if I was remembering wrong. Thanks :)

I have already followed the steps most people recommend, like turning off your friends list, and selecting to not send information to Nintendo.
Nintendo actually can't see that much. They can really only see the title Id of the game you play. The reason people get banned is because Homebrew apps use title ID's that don't exist. Chameleones it so that physical checks such as Pokemon tournaments make your 3ds appear as if it has no cfw. The one way most people can agree on that will prevent you from all future bans is running apps in 3dsx form via Rosalina injection. This makes it so that you run all Homebrew apps inside of 1 app, completely disguising you from title Id checks. Pirated games will work fine, as they are indeed real games.

TribstyAnn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks. I think I'll just turn wi-fi off before I use any cfw apps, and then play something legit before turning wi-fi back on. If I do get banned it's not too huge of a deal either. I survived with it beofre, and didn't really mind it too much.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Avoid all cia homebrew and make sure streetpass and spotpass are off. Send system info should be in spotpass... No homebrew while online if you do install it. And make sure to play something before going online to clear the last game played slot that I've heard of. Not sure if that exists, but I'm not taking any chances... I have 0 cia homebrew and use Rosalina only. Also, don't use leaked games while online... or injected a snes, gba, and such.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Avoid all cia homebrew and make sure streetpass and spotpass are off. Send system info should be in spotpass... No homebrew while online if you do install it. And make sure to play something before going online to clear the last game played slot that I've heard of. Not sure if that exists, but I'm not taking any chances... I have 0 cia homebrew and use Rosalina only. Also, don't use leaked games while online... or injected a snes, gba, and such.
Turning off streetpass and spotpass makes no difference in the data sent to Nintendo.
Thanks. I think I'll just turn wi-fi off before I use any cfw apps, and then play something legit before turning wi-fi back on. If I do get banned it's not too huge of a deal either. I survived with it beofre, and didn't really mind it too much.
That's a good idea, but some homebrew apps need to be connected to wifi to work.

Reactions: Giodude

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just getting out of hand with the banwave fear mongering. The guide already has suggestions to potentially avoid them. Outside of that not one person can say, "do this and you won't get banned." Considering that, the only way to avoid it is by not using custom firmware in the first place.

Every other day someone is asking about how to avoid a ban and everytime they get the same gist of replies.

The only guaranteed way to avoid a ban is to not use CFW. Period. There is a chance you will get banned using it regardless of what you do, so accept that and deal with it when/if it happens or get rid of CFW entirely along with your worry.

You guys can go back and forth all day about what might trigger what, but it's all just educated guessing and speculation. There are absolutely no facts regarding these bans other than documented information that is known to be collected by Nintendo. So I don't understand why some replies read like gospel........

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just getting out of hand with the banwave fear mongering. The guide already has suggestions to potentially avoid them. Outside of that not one person can say, "do this and you won't get banned." Considering that, the only way to avoid it is by not using custom firmware in the first place.

Every other day someone is asking about how to avoid a ban and everytime they get the same gist of replies.

The only guaranteed way to avoid a ban is to not use CFW. Period. There is a chance you will get banned using it regardless of what you do, so accept that and deal with it when/if it happens or get rid of CFW entirely along with your worry.

You guys can go back and forth all day about what might trigger what, but it's all just educated guessing and speculation. There are absolutely no facts regarding these bans other than documented information that is known to be collected by Nintendo. So I don't understand why some replies read like gospel........
Not quite... Having a cfw in of itself is completely harmless. It's what you can do with it that would warrant getting banned. I suggest installing it just in case for the future. It is 100 percent fact that the patches applied to the 3DS by luma3ds cannot be read by Nintendo's servers, as that technology simply doesn't exist. Nothing is different on a cfw besides a few patches here and there. In the future, there might be a way for Nintendo to check pirated game regions and tickets some other way, so I could possibly understand that fear. A cfw has no magic, it has no special sign that sets it apart from the rest. It's just the bootrom launching a file that patches the OS in a few ways, nothing more. Nobody has been reported banned from hiding themselves with Rosalina injection, and with the amount of information Nintendo can see, I doubt that would change in the future.

Reaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about out of region stuff? I wanna play Puyo Puyo Tetris but it's japanese only on eShop right now.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about out of region stuff? I wanna play Puyo Puyo Tetris but it's japanese only on eShop right now.
For now, and probably forever, out of region games are ok. Im just making a point about theoretical checks, but they should be absolutely fine.

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not quite... Having a cfw in of itself is completely harmless. It's what you can do with it that would warrant getting banned. I suggest installing it just in case for the future. It is 100 percent fact that the patches applied to the 3DS by luma3ds cannot be read by Nintendo's servers, as that technology simply doesn't exist. Nothing is different on a cfw besides a few patches here and there. In the future, there might be a way for Nintendo to check pirated game regions and tickets some other way, so I could possibly understand that fear. A cfw has no magic, it has no special sign that sets it apart from the rest. It's just the bootrom launching a file that patches the OS in a few ways, nothing more. Nobody has been reported banned from hiding themselves with Rosalina injection, and with the amount of information Nintendo can see, I doubt that would change in the future.
That's the entire point; why would you install it just to not use it? And yes Nintendo can compare your tickets to purchase history, they just don't for whatever reason. And yes, they can tell if CFW is there or not. Don't you know you can lose CFW when you're not running those patches? Their update servers can remove CFW so it would be ignorant to assume they wouldn't be aware of it or couldn't see it. They 100% could have something serverside to let them know when an update isn't saving to the bootrom. You're just speculating my friend. There is no facts one way or the other. You don't know what information Ninty is using to ban people. How do you know they don't have a private program to detect Luma's patches or not? Regardless if they can't patch it remotely they can still ban you.

You can't tell people they won't be banned just by using their CFW console like a regular one; because you don't know that for a fact. No one does. There is too much that is known to be collected that could be used to ban your console.

While I agree with you, I doubt you will get banned by using it normally there is still no guarantee. So implying that people won't be is just your personal assumption. No one has been banned since Rosalina because there hasn't been another banwave. It has nothing to do with app injection. It's going to be funny when Nintendo just bans everyone who plays nothing but one app on their console.

No one installs CFW to not use it as such so I'm 99% sure everyone who has it at the very least has games they didn't purchase. Nintendo can see what you have installed whether you want them to or not. Common sense says, Nintendo could have been banning us from day one if they cared to check purchase history against an NNID or device ID but they never did, so I highly doubt they would start using that now.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's the entire point; why would you install it just to not use it? And yes Nintendo can compare your tickets to purchase history, they just don't for whatever reason. And yes, they can tell if CFW is there or not. Don't you know you can lose CFW when you're not running those patches? Their update servers can remove CFW so it would be ignorant to assume they wouldn't be aware of it or couldn't see it. They 100% could have something serverside to let them know when an update isn't saving to the bootrom. You're just speculating my friend. There is no facts one way or the other. You don't know what information Ninty is using to ban people. How do you know they don't have a private program to detect Luma's patches or not? Regardless if they can't patch it remotely they can still ban you.

You can't tell people they won't be banned just by using their CFW console like a regular one; because you don't know that for a fact. No one does. There is too much that is known to be collected that could be used to ban your console.

While I agree with you, I doubt you will get banned by using it normally there is still no guarantee. So implying that people won't be is just your personal assumption. No one has been banned since Rosalina because there hasn't been another banwave. It has nothing to do with app injection. It's going to be funny when Nintendo just bans everyone who plays nothing but one app on their console.

No one installs CFW to not use it as such so I'm 99% sure everyone who has it at the very least has games they didn't purchase. Nintendo can see what you have installed whether you want them to or not. Common sense says, Nintendo could have been banning us from day one if they cared to check purchase history against an NNID or device ID but they never did, so I highly doubt they would start using that now.
The main point im trying to get at is this:
Problem: "I don't want to get banned! Should I remove B9S?"
Troubleshooting: B9S was NOT the cause of the Banwave. Nintendo can not get that kind of information from your system, without you sending them your system for them to find B9S. The current cause for the banwave is unknown, but it is known that neither B9S nor CFW were the direct cause for people to getting banned.
Im trying to say that people should install a cfw anyway before it's too late. The base cfw features do offer up lots of things that give it an advantage over a regular 3ds in of itself, such as layerdfs patching and overclocking on a n3ds. The only thing i am certain of is that luma3ds and b9s in of itself cant cause a ban, so people should at the very least install that as a base for convenience, especially with the base rosalina features.

Reactions: Majickhat55

Majickhat55

The Red Woman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The main point im trying to get at is this:

Im trying to say that people should install a cfw anyway before it's too late. The base cfw features do offer up lots of things that give it an advantage over a regular 3ds in of itself, such as layerdfs patching and overclocking on a n3ds. The only thing i am certain of is that luma3ds and b9s in of itself cant cause a ban, so people should at the very least install that as a base for convenience, especially with the base rosalina features.
I'm not disagreeing, just stating that even that statement is subjective because no one knows for a fact; they very well could be detecting Luma's patches not necessarily the exploit itself. The only way to avoid unknown causes is to avoid them entirely. Otherwise it's still just assumptions

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y