Status
Not open for further replies.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually hope for all-out war because human beings are trash and pain is the only way we'll learn anything. :D Have a nice day!
not-sure-if-serious-or-just-a-lame-troll.jpg

LDAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The term "troll" has lost all its meaning now because it's thrown around way too much when someone simply has a different point of view. All it takes is a disagreement of philosophies and next moment words like "spam" and "troll" get shot at you. Now we need new words that can have at least some temporary effectiveness.

Reactions: The Milkman
D

Dork

The term "troll" has lost all its meaning now because it's thrown around way too much when someone simply has a different point of view. All it takes is a disagreement of philosophies and next moment words like "spam" and "troll" get shot at you. Now we need new words that can have at least some temporary effectiveness.

master ruseman

Reactions: The Milkman

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
A troll is somebody who posts things specifically to incite reactions.

You fit the bill.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Perhaps you've heard of the word "denial."

LDAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
"Troll" is used when all other intellectual arguments have been exhausted and is hurled out in a vain attempt to turn most others against them. It happens all the time now and so has lost its meaning.

I'm serious and I mean what I say about humans only learning valuable lessons about existence when they've suffered severe pain, and I'm entitled to that opinion without being oustered as a "troll". That's 'inciting a reaction' only in the perception of precious buttercups. I can handle intelligent criticism anytime but stooping down to calling someone a "troll" when what they really mean is "I personally disagree" is a pretty weak excuse these days and I think most people see through it.

It's almost as bad as trying to rub footage of corpses in someone's face in order to demean their religious or political beliefs. That's just lazy because war is not that simple.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
"Troll" is used when all other intellectual arguments have been exhausted and is hurled out in a vain attempt to turn most others against them. It happens all the time now and so has lost its meaning.
Do all the fake 911 calls invalidate the real ones? Do all the kids on the playground calling each other "retarded" mean that the word has no more meaning? That's a pathetic cop-out and you know it.

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/troll
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/53181/trolling

I'm serious and I mean what I say about humans only learning valuable lessons about existence when they've suffered severe pain, and I'm entitled to that opinion without being oustered as a "troll".
Trolling is not about opinions, it's about actions. I'm entitled to the opinion that the man down the street shouldn't be selling hotdogs, but if I go and punch him then the transgression was not the idea, but the action taken.

What you're posting is the kind of excuse I'd expect to see from a 12 year old caught doing something he knows he shouldn't be doing, trying to make it out like he's being yelled at for doing something other than what he's being yelled at for, or for the ideas behind the actions instead of the actions themselves.

That's 'inciting a reaction' only in the perception of precious buttercups.
No, it was inciting a reaction because you were saying hateful things that were not linked to the current discussion (so your post was markedly standalone), and then ending it with a note that you were leaving, meaning you never intended to take part in the discussion in the first place, you tipped your hand in your first post by showing that your only intention was to drop a hateful statement.

I can handle intelligent criticism anytime but stooping down to calling someone a "troll" when what they really mean is "I personally disagree" is a pretty weak excuse these days and I think most people see through it.
You're just mad that you're being called out by somebody who actually has the patience to wade through your word games. I generally leave your posts alone because it's more trouble than it's worth to call you out on it, but this time you tipped people off too soon. :P

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...humans only learning valuable lessons about existence when they've suffered severe pain...

I'm not sure I would agree that's the only time we learn valuable lessons, but I do get where you're coming from and agree with your sentiment. Pain does seem to be the rod with which God shepherds. It's nice, though, when the rod isn't necessary. That's often not the case, unfortunately.

With that being said, if you view human beings as trash, that's all they'll ever be to you. You may have to look beyond the petty in order to find the humanity you're after. Feels like we're caught up in a spiritual war at times, one we barely perceive or even admit exists.

To be more specific to the topic, though, and to speak directly to my point, I don't think mankind can solve its own problems. That's my personal belief. I'm fairly certain the blame game won't work, anyway. It's fucked up the way America (or any nation before it) naturally exerts its will upon the rest of the world in a perverse attempt at human unity, and yet, that ultimately is what nature seems to be trying to accomplish.

NeoSupaMario

GBATemp's Official Stegosaurus
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mean to piss north korea off even more, but honestly, north korea, don't attack the u.s. two reasons:

1) you'll most likely get your a$$ beat (coming from a country that's had nuclear capabilities much longer than you have)

2) what could you possibly gain from a nuclear fallout? More dead people? What do you want to prove? That you can commit mass murder? I'll bet the sanctions wouldn't be nearly as strict if you didn't continue to threaten everyone. I'll bet you could be good friends with the U.S. if you gave them the chance. Understand, we don't want nuclear powers because it kills too many people. Yes yes I know about Hiroshima and Nagasaki and how terrible we Americans are for it, but we learned our lesson and that's why we don't want nuclear powers.

...not that anyone from North Korea will actually read this.

LDAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
USA has known for a very long time it can't have a monopoly on nuclear weapons forever and can't sustain its double-standards, continually sweeping the truth and history under the rug. It's like a game of whack-a-mole with only one mallet, USA cannot whack the Iranian mole and the North Korean mole at the same time. It wants 2 mallets but is running out of allies. All along it should have been leading by example, instead it has wanted a monopoly while telling everyone else off and threatening with spankings, but it only has 2 hands with which to spank far too many naughty children that is the rest of the entire world.

Being called a troll for pointing out what should be blatantly obvious to any half-educated person is really weird, I find it difficult to believe it's the 21st century here. The west has had its time and going to war on every corner of the globe isn't going to save it. Learn some about history to find out why.

NeoSupaMario

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
USA has known for a very long time it can't have a monopoly on nuclear weapons forever and can't sustain its double-standards, continually sweeping the truth and history under the rug. It's like a game of whack-a-mole with only one mallet, USA cannot whack the Iranian mole and the North Korean mole at the same time. It wants 2 mallets but is running out of allies. All along it should have been leading by example, instead it has wanted a monopoly while telling everyone else off and threatening with spankings, but it only has 2 hands with which to spank far too many naughty children that is the rest of the entire world.

Being called a troll for pointing out what should be blatantly obvious to any half-educated person is really weird, I find it difficult to believe it's the 21st century here. The west has had its time and going to war on every corner of the globe isn't going to save it. Learn some about history to find out why.

Ok. I get most of what you're saying, but how is the U.S. losing allies? True, I suspect China will eventually turn against the U.S. but they're still helping the U.S. with the North Korea situation. And what do you mean by "the west has had it's time"? You think America will fall soon? True, it may eventually fall, as is the tragic case with most great empires (Rome is a great example) but I don't think America is going down for another couple hundered or thousand years. Right now I think that most of the world is in a state where territory won't shift that much; most countries will neither gain or lose much (if any) land.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Okay, we'll just sit here twiddling our thumbs while those North Korean wankers send nukes throughout the world.

You honestly expected what you said about having an all-out war that will destroy all humans wouldn't spark any negative remarks? *Gasp* Surely you jest! America is the bad guy? Everyone in America is intrinsically evil? Gee, and here I was thinking our government was perfectly immaculate while our President was successfully patching up relations between enemy nations.

If you don't like being labeled a troll, then grow the hell up and stop being a troll.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure I would agree that's the only time we learn valuable lessons, but I do get where you're coming from and agree with your sentiment. Pain does seem to be the rod with which God shepherds. It's nice, though, when the rod isn't necessary. That's often not the case, unfortunately.
Who says it has to be personal? I learn from other people's mistakes all the time. :P

Being called a troll for pointing out what should be blatantly obvious to any half-educated person is really weird
the transgression was not the idea, but the action taken.
trying to make it out like he's being yelled at for doing something other than what he's being yelled at for, or for the ideas behind the actions instead of the actions themselves.
Hey look, you're trying two attempts in one.
  • "The attention is on me in a negative light, better post on-topic to try to fit in so people new to the conversation might think I'm a normal converser being singled out"

and

• "I'll just post the same actions again as if my actions weren't just called out in the hopes that people new to the conversation will see my post and assume they weren't already"

I hate smart trolls because you all think you can get away with this because you usually do, via tactics like the above (which are woefully effective, given the short attention span of most forum-goers).

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

pessimism ≠ intellect

i'll just leave it on that, ladies and gents...

Reactions: the_randomizer

LDAsh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I see now... A troll is anyone who has anything to say that isn't "Bwahaha USA is awesome and everyone else is a communist or a terrorist". I can't really defend myself without repeating myself now. Trolls are not people you simply have a disagreement with, let's try to keep the definition simple.

"If I say the word "troll" enough it just might catch people in the eye, so I'll just keep doing that!"

So what is the point of this topic in the first place, to continually kiss the ass of the stars and stripes while making fun of anyone who isn't honky white-bread supreme? Couldn't that be done in your bedroom mirrors? I thought a "forum" was supposed to be a place for debates, not one-sided self-worship.

Now, just imagine you guys are politicians in Washington... Should now be clear as day how wars break out, which leads me back to my original point - so long as there is greed in the world, manipulation, double-standards and powerplays - there will be war. Wars are usually (if not purely) always about greed, money and power and by the time we smell the smoke the fire is well alive, too late to join hands and play guitars because the blood is already being spilled. It's easy to hate the war, it's more difficult to hate the things leading up to war while we're all too busy with our heads stuck in our TVs.

Try to have an intelligent discussion instead of thinking Matt Groening is automatically on your side and flinging the word "troll" around like a booger.

NeoSupaMario

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm hello I've posted intelligent, legitimate, on topic comments twice now in an attempt to help this thread get off its a$$. Im not saying that i alone have ever had the power to jerk a topic back on the rails (everyone here knows that) but if you won't even bother to respond to them or make similar comments because you're too preoccupied with discussing trolling, then fine. I'll sit back and watch this thread dry out like a fish out of water.

Also. Why are you skewing are words? It's not self worship. Honestly, if China were a democracy, they might have taken over the U.S. already. But. We came here to listen to opinion about the situation between the U.S. and North Korea, not about how self-worshipping Americans are and how the U.S. will fall someday. Stick to the original topic.

Lushay

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Umm hello I've posted intelligent, legitimate, on topic comments twice now in an attempt to help this thread get off its a$$. Im not saying that i alone have ever had the power to jerk a topic back on the rails (everyone here knows that) but if you won't even bother to respond to them or make similar comments because you're too preoccupied with discussing trolling, then fine. I'll sit back and watch this thread dry out like a fish out of water.
Incase you didn't hear him the first time.

Reactions: RodrigoDavy

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'll bet you could be good friends with the U.S. if you gave them the chance.
Very unlikely, North Korea isn't the kind of country that has many friends and the USA doesn't care for miserable countries.

Understand, we don't want nuclear powers because it kills too many people.

Yes yes I know about Hiroshima and Nagasaki and how terrible we Americans are for it, but we learned our lesson and that's why we don't want nuclear powers.
Nuclear boms were developed in the USA and it was pretty obvious that they knew about the power of the bomb when they first produced them. The fact that they used only one bomb in each city as opposed to several bombs as in normal air attacks of the time support that.

It's very naive to think that the US doesn't want nuclear powers... The US doesn't want their enemies to have nuclear weapons for obvious reasons. The uncovenient fact that other countries got to develop their own nuclear technology made the US reconsider using nukes again because of the taboo towards causing some kind of WWIII. But if you analyse the Vietnam war, the USA used biological weapons despite the international agreement of not utilizing this kind of weapons in war. I am sure it was an easy decision, the US had bio weapons and Vietnam did not, when you're losing a war why not use more effective weapons?

Reactions: NahuelDS

NeoSupaMario

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very unlikely, North Korea isn't the kind of country that has many friends and the USA doesn't care for miserable countries.

Nuclear boms were developed in the USA and it was pretty obvious that they knew about the power of the bomb when they first produced them. The fact that they used only one bomb in each city as opposed to several bombs as in normal air attacks of the time support that.

It's very naive to think that the US doesn't want nuclear powers... The US doesn't want their enemies to have nuclear weapons for obvious reasons. The uncovenient fact that other countries got to develop their own nuclear technology made the US reconsider using nukes again because of the taboo towards causing some kind of WWIII. But if you analyse the Vietnam war, the USA used biological weapons despite the international agreement of not utilizing this kind of weapons in war. I am sure it was an easy decision, the US had bio weapons and Vietnam did not, when you're losing a war why not use more effective weapons?
While this is true, you still don't want to cause mass genocide and kill innocents. Yes, some military targets will be in civilian cities, but its their countries fault for putting a military target amongst civilians.

Also, sorry about the four or five copies of one post; the site said there was an error and to try again later. So I kept trying to post it and when it did it posted it four or five times. Fail, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel