OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey guys.
If you've seen my previous Wii thread then you know I'm a Wii noob and you know I am gonna Re-softmod my Wii.
So I have quite a number of Wii modding questions.
Please try answering all you know from these.
Oh yeah and before the trolling
tongue.gif
, I already checked Google but well all the results turned out to be too complicated for me to understand... Besides English is not my first language. Ok the questions:

1) What is IOS? (I know it's some kind of Software file that only one of those can run at once or something like that someone please elaborate for me.
smile.gif
)

2) What is cIOS?

3) What's loadmii

4) What's Bootmii

5) What's a trucha?
wacko.gif

6) What is Priiloader/Preloader and what's the point of it?

And well I guess that's it.
Really sorry about this.

Thanks for taking your time guys
wink.gif

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
doeo said:
Hey guys.
If you've seen my previous Wii thread then you know I'm a Wii noob and you know I am gonna Re-softmod my Wii.
tongue.gif
, I already checked Google but well all the results turned out to be too complicated for me to understand... Besides English is not my first language. Ok the questions:

1) What is IOS? (I know it's some kind of Software file that only one of those can run at once or something like that someone please elaborate for me.
smile.gif
)

IOS

The Wii's firmware is in the form of IOSs (thought by the Wii Homebrew developers to stand for 'Input Output Systems' or 'Internal Operating Systems'[2]), which run on a separate ARM architecture processor to other Wii software (nicknamed Starlet by the Wii homebrew community, as it is physically located inside the graphics chip, the Hollywood, so it is a small part of Hollywood). These control input and output between the code running on the main processor (the PowerPC "Broadway" processor) and the Wii's hardware features that did not exist on the GameCube, which can only be accessed via the ARM. When Nintendo releases a new IOS version, except for unusual circumstances (for example security updates to block homebrew), the new IOS does not replace any IOS already installed. Instead, it gets installed in addition to any current IOS versions. All native Wii software (including games distributed on Nintendo optical discs, the System Menu itself, Virtual Console games, WiiWare, and Wii Channels), with the exception of certain homebrew applications, have the IOS version hardcoded into the software. When the software is run, the IOS that is hardcoded gets loaded by the Wii, which then loads the software itself. If that IOS does not exist on the Wii, in the case of disc-based software, it gets installed automatically (after the user is prompted). With downloaded software, this should not theoretically happen, as the user cannot access the shop to download software unless the player has all the IOS versions that they require. However, if homebrew is used to forcefully install or run a piece of software when the required IOS does not exist, the user is brought back to the system menu. Nintendo created this system so that new updates wouldn't unintentionally break compatibility with older games, but it does have the side effect that it uses up space on the Wii's internal NAND Flash memory. IOSes are referred to by their number, which can theoretically be between 0 and 254, although many numbers are skipped, presumably being development versions that were never completed.

2) What is cIOS?

cIOS(custom IOS)

Cios is a custom IOS, which relies on the IOS slots not used, there are like 256 in all, and a lot of open spots, the Custom IOS, is used to make programs work better, and mimic firmware, since 3.2 is seen as the best for obvious reasons, its a way to get the perks of the higher firmware, and use the newer games and wiiware games, along with getting programs like backup loader to work.

3) What's loadmii

LoadMii

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Loadmii (have a read there...)

4) What's Bootmii

BootMii

http://bootmii.org/ (same as above, have a read
wink.gif
)

5) What's a trucha?
wacko.gif

Trucha Bug

The trucha bug is a faulty implementation of the cryptographic signature verification process that basically allows anyone to sign content that will work on the wii. It was used to initially get homebrew running on the wii.

Pre/Priiloader

Preloader is a small application which places itself before the System Menu. Its main feature is to directly boot the Homebrew Channel or a file you can install from a FAT device. Preloader is also able to apply memory patches the system menu to remove limitations or other things.
Since Preloader places itself before the System Menu any problems that would cause the System Menu to fail are not causing your whole Wii to stop working.
If autoboot is enabled and you want to access Preloader's menu simply hold RESET while powering the Wii on.

Really sorry about this.

wink.gif

elmariachi

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
doeo said:
Hey guys.
tongue.gif

smile.gif
)

2) What is cIOS?

3) What's loadmii

4) What's Bootmii

5) What's a trucha?
wacko.gif

Really sorry about this.

wink.gif

they are not rly hard questions google can't find, now are they
wink.gif

doeo

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
G0dLiKe said:
doeo said:
Hey guys.
tongue.gif

smile.gif
)

IOS

The Wii's firmware is in the form of IOSs (thought by the Wii Homebrew developers to stand for 'Input Output Systems' or 'Internal Operating Systems'[2]), which run on a separate ARM architecture processor to other Wii software (nicknamed Starlet by the Wii homebrew community, as it is physically located inside the graphics chip, the Hollywood, so it is a small part of Hollywood). These control input and output between the code running on the main processor (the PowerPC "Broadway" processor) and the Wii's hardware features that did not exist on the GameCube, which can only be accessed via the ARM. When Nintendo releases a new IOS version, except for unusual circumstances (for example security updates to block homebrew), the new IOS does not replace any IOS already installed. Instead, it gets installed in addition to any current IOS versions. All native Wii software (including games distributed on Nintendo optical discs, the System Menu itself, Virtual Console games, WiiWare, and Wii Channels), with the exception of certain homebrew applications, have the IOS version hardcoded into the software. When the software is run, the IOS that is hardcoded gets loaded by the Wii, which then loads the software itself. If that IOS does not exist on the Wii, in the case of disc-based software, it gets installed automatically (after the user is prompted). With downloaded software, this should not theoretically happen, as the user cannot access the shop to download software unless the player has all the IOS versions that they require. However, if homebrew is used to forcefully install or run a piece of software when the required IOS does not exist, the user is brought back to the system menu. Nintendo created this system so that new updates wouldn't unintentionally break compatibility with older games, but it does have the side effect that it uses up space on the Wii's internal NAND Flash memory. IOSes are referred to by their number, which can theoretically be between 0 and 254, although many numbers are skipped, presumably being development versions that were never completed.

2) What is cIOS?

cIOS(custom IOS)

Cios is a custom IOS, which relies on the IOS slots not used, there are like 256 in all, and a lot of open spots, the Custom IOS, is used to make programs work better, and mimic firmware, since 3.2 is seen as the best for obvious reasons, its a way to get the perks of the higher firmware, and use the newer games and wiiware games, along with getting programs like backup loader to work.

3) What's loadmii

LoadMii

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Loadmii (have a read there...)

4) What's Bootmii

BootMii

http://bootmii.org/ (same as above, have a read
wink.gif
)

5) What's a trucha?
wacko.gif

Trucha Bug

The trucha bug is a faulty implementation of the cryptographic signature verification process that basically allows anyone to sign content that will work on the wii. It was used to initially get homebrew running on the wii.

Pre/Priiloader

Preloader is a small application which places itself before the System Menu. Its main feature is to directly boot the Homebrew Channel or a file you can install from a FAT device. Preloader is also able to apply memory patches the system menu to remove limitations or other things.
Since Preloader places itself before the System Menu any problems that would cause the System Menu to fail are not causing your whole Wii to stop working.
If autoboot is enabled and you want to access Preloader's menu simply hold RESET while powering the Wii on.

Really sorry about this.

wink.gif

WHOA thanks
smile.gif
!

elmariachi said:
doeo said:
Hey guys.
tongue.gif

smile.gif
)

2) What is cIOS?

3) What's loadmii

4) What's Bootmii

5) What's a trucha?
wacko.gif

Really sorry about this.

wink.gif

they are not rly hard questions google can't find

I know!!

QUOTE(nabster92 @ Jun 30 2010, 05:20 PM)
I'll just leave this here.

http://gbatemp.net/t173713-noob-starter-guide

haha lolll
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, i have a physical copy of mgs4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ok I tried it and 1) it doesnt boot wood menu automatically and 2) when trying to load a game through wood theres just a loading screen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download...