Noob Unrooting Question

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by BlackAngel5, Mar 16, 2016.

1. BlackAngel5
    OP

BlackAngel5 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Sword Art Online
    So I bought a Verizon LG G3 about a month ago off of someone. However,I wasn't aware that the phone was rooted - which I'm guessing is in order to unlock the phone (I currently have T-mobile service). Now, I know pretty much nothing about rooting and such. Jailbreaking iproducts sure, but not rooting. I have no need or want for the root except for the unlocking aspect of it. And with the Marshmallow update coming in, I'm not sure how that will interfere with the root on my phone.

Question is, can simply unrooting the phone re-lock my device? The only reason I'm keeping the root around is so that it remains unlocked. I've tried looking around the internet but only found things on factory resets and whatnot

2. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    If the phone is unlocked from the carrier, unrooting the phone will not undo that change. If you want to ensure that your phone is unrooted, you can probably check LG's website and see if they have factory images for their phones so you can revert to an unrooted, vanilla state.

3. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    Last edited by Luckkill4u, Mar 16, 2016
    TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  4. DeslotlCL

DeslotlCL GBAtemp's Official Axolotl

Oct 28, 2015
    Chile
    under your couch
    If you want to unroot or revert it to a factory state, you will need to look for a specific factory/stock rom for your device and then flash it to your mobile.

5. BlackAngel5
    OP

Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Sword Art Online
    Thanks for all the replies! However, I'm not exactly having trouble with the unrooting part perse. I have SuperSU and it's as simple as just pressing the button that says "full unroot".

My question was that if I were to unroot my currently rooted, unlocked phone, would it relock it? I'm not sure if it's unlocked because the previous owner had unlocked it with the company or whether he used rooting to unlock it. Is there a way to find out whether it had been normally unlocked or by the root? It's a Verizon phone with T-mobile service currently. I don't want to flash the phone to a factory state as I think that would lock the phone again.

Last edited by BlackAngel5, Mar 26, 2016
  6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Not likely, if the phone has been unlocked using a hack (I don't know if this is even possible on Android devices) it's likely part of the ROM/radio firmware or similar, not a separate app that would require su. In that case updating to stock firmware would probably re-lock it though. But it's most likely a normal unlock.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Mar 26, 2016
  7. BlackAngel5
    OP

Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Sword Art Online
    Thanks so much! I thought it wouldn't re-lock but I'm a noob with android so I wasn't sure. About to unroot hopefully with success~

8. TeamScriptKiddies

TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Planet Earth :P
    As far as I know rooting andnunlocking are two entirely separate things. I've rooted phones before (heck my current phone is rooted, did it myself) it was a factory unlocked phone too, but the rooting was done by myself (using existing tools and exploits by others of course :P). From what I understand (been a droid user for several years now) rooting doesn't help in unlocking the phone at all, at least from my experience. You should be fine if you unroot it. It should remain unlocked after...

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Generally speaking, the bootloader and the ROM are two separate things. The basic function of rooting is just changing permissions on the ROM and adding in the SU binary, the bootloader is untouched. Unrooting won't touch the bootloader, and even installing OTA updates won't touch the unlock status in the bootloader.

As long as you don't re-lock it yourself, you should have no issues when unrooting and such.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.