Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

cloud33092

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
unsure.gif
But if you have a virgin 4.0u Wii it is free to softmod. why would you prefer chip over softmod?
[/quote]

yea its a virgin 4.0u but never done softmodding before... chips seem to plug & play?

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cloud33092 said:
unsure.gif
But if you have a virgin 4.0u Wii it is free to softmod. why would you prefer chip over softmod?

yea its a virgin 4.0u but never done softmodding before... chips seem to plug & play?

well i was worried about damaging my Wii with a static charge(and gutting a Wii isn't what i call plug and play, using a usb to play your backed up games now that is plug and play.), so i used Modify any Wii 4.2 & below, aka the simplistic mod (4.2). This tutorial was just updated again, it's very simple.

cloud33092

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Planning to purchase an HDD for usb launcher.. any suggestions will probably want atleast 1TB
Thinking about the Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive but not sure if it works with usb launcher
any suggestions is warmly welcome
smile.gif

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cloud33092 said:
Planning to purchase an HDD for usb launcher.. any suggestions will probably want atleast 1TB
Thinking about the Western Digital 1TB External Hard Drive but not sure if it works with usb launcher
smile.gif

i too am looking for a 1TB HDD found 1 on the walmart website for $100 im thinking of choosing that.

uscjunkie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just installed the 4.2 mod by using the guide. At the bottom it has Preloader as an optional install but at the bottom of the After Modding section it says that I will need to use Preloader to play disc backup games. So is it not optional if you plan on playing the disc backup games?

nabster92

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
uscjunkie said:
I just installed the 4.2 mod by using the guide. At the bottom it has Preloader as an optional install but at the bottom of the After Modding section it says that I will need to use Preloader to play disc backup games. So is it not optional if you plan on playing the disc backup games?

For playing your disc backups, you should either:
1] Download NeoGamma and set it up on your SD card.
2] Download Softchip and set it up on your SD card.
3] Download CIOSCorp 3.4 [not recommended for novices] [[or at all by some people]] for playing games directly through the disc channel.

For playing your backups off a USB hard drive, check out the backup loading basics to learn about the different USB loaders and how to set up your Hard Drive correctly to install games.

What are you reading? I don't see preloader mentioned at all there.

You should get preloader for sure if you couldn't install bootmii to boot2 on your system as that would be the only brick protection you can get. Also if you really plan on using cIOSCORP though I don't recommend you do, you should have preloader and the skip disc update check hack enabled. If you plan on using the disc channel at all you should do that actually.

All you NEED to play backups is a cIOS installed and NeoGamma or any backup loader. (which can just be run through the HBC and doesn't HAVE to be installed if you don't want to)

C175R

GBAtemp Pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
transam81 said:
cloud33092 said:
smile.gif

i too am looking for a 1TB HDD found 1 on the walmart website for $100 im thinking of choosing that.

me too but I'm gona wait till Black Friday cause I'm cheap like that
biggrin.gif

Daunteh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
My Wii is 4.1E
I installed HBC with the Twilight Hack.
I used the Firmware Updater 4.1 to update.
I installed cIOS38_r14 and Hermes cIOS222 as IOS38 and cIOS223 as IOS38 merged with IOS60. All installed through internet.

After I installed cIOS222, cIOS 223 and USBLoader GX, many Homebrew apps result in a black screen. Along with games I try to load from the USBLoader.

I've been searching around both this forum and other forums, but haven't had any luck yet. I've seen some other posts here asking for the same, but they've gotten no answers.

What do you suggest I do?

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@cloud33092: better not spend money on modchip. softmod your wii. just follow carefully the guides/tuts here. use xzxero's guide...a sticky in this forum. good luck.

arlington

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey guys, been a long time since I was here at the forum.

My old Wii died and I have a brand new now. It's on 3.1E and I'm not sure what I should do. I think I softmodded my old on 4.0 and I have no clue about what I should do next. I've forgotten everything, and I'm mildly confused with all the guides on softmodding on 3.1. Not sure if I want to spend another 100 hours at getting my console perfect again.

I am thinking about sending it off to a store that modify consoles. They even have a NAND- backup- guarantee/warranty! They save a backup in their database as well. But I am thinking it's a waste of money and that I should run the latest BannerBomb and Hackmii 0.6 myself since it should work on all models/menus. On the other hand, it sure seems to be the safest option with the NAND backup guarantee.

Have you used the latest version of Hackmii? It has the BootMii public beta 4, DVDX v2 and The Homebrew Channel 1.0.6. They don't have anything else for download on Bootmii.org, and I'm somewhat unsure about it.

After (if) I install these, what do I need more? I have Waninkokos CIOS38 rev14 and the upgrader to 4.0 as well as the 4.1. All I want to do is to be able to watch movies/DVDs and play my backups on my HDD. Got WiiFlow for 249, Mplayer CE, WADManager 1.3 and Snes9xGX on my old SDHC microSD and that is all I need.

I understand that I need to buy a regular SD card of course, since the 3.1 won't read SDHC. Been reading the compatibilitytests on http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/BootMii/SD_Car...patibility_List but noone has tested the original WII SD 2GB with the new BootMii, do you think it's the safest option anyway?

How should I proceed?

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
WII SD is always a good choice if you don't mind paying that little bit extra. the prob is always with the SD card hardware not the software you put on it. you haven't seen Wii SD mentioned because of the price.

arlington

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
transam81 said:
WII SD is always a good choice if you don't mind paying that little bit extra. the prob is always with the SD card hardware not the software you put on it. you haven't seen Wii SD mentioned because of the price.

Thanks, but the Wii SD is actually cheap where I live. Do you think, that if I buy it, I'll be good to go on softmodding? I get awfully confused by all the different guides, so I'll probably stick to the one at Wiibrew, Homebrew setup.

Thanks for the help. :')

uscjunkie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nabster92 said:
uscjunkie said:

For playing your disc backups, you should either:
1] Download NeoGamma and set it up on your SD card.
2] Download Softchip and set it up on your SD card.
3] Download CIOSCorp 3.4 [not recommended for novices] [[or at all by some people]] for playing games directly through the disc channel.

For playing your backups off a USB hard drive, check out the backup loading basics to learn about the different USB loaders and how to set up your Hard Drive correctly to install games.

What are you reading? I don't see preloader mentioned at all there.

You should get preloader for sure if you couldn't install bootmii to boot2 on your system as that would be the only brick protection you can get. Also if you really plan on using cIOSCORP though I don't recommend you do, you should have preloader and the skip disc update check hack enabled. If you plan on using the disc channel at all you should do that actually.

All you NEED to play backups is a cIOS installed and NeoGamma or any backup loader. (which can just be run through the HBC and doesn't HAVE to be installed if you don't want to)

Thanks for your help....new to this and still trying to figure out exactly what everything does. I appreciate the help though.

Mindcrime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi all!

I've a question about the latest 4.2 and possible Wii detecting of modchip?

since I remember reading here on gbatemp that people with Wiikey 2 had
troubles with backups after the update.

My current setup is Wii pal 3.2E with d2ckey (No HBC, Bootmii or hacks at all).

Why I'm asking is because, still debating if I should install HBC, bootmii before for self insurance
even tho I'm a noob with hacking.

I know about the current state of 4.2 is just an antipiracy update and possible brick due
to the boot2 version update. It would be cool if anyone with any modchip could confirm
this about 4.2?
rolleyes.gif

ColdSkull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hello. How do I know what update the games got inside of them? Does any game contain 4.2E update yet?

I have PAL Wii 4.1E, and I got Mario & Sonic: At the Olympic Winter Games today. That game contains update, but I don't know should I install it or not. If it's not 4.2E, it should be fine. So, how do I know what update the game holds? Thanks!

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ColdSkull said:
Hello. How do I know what update the games got inside of them? Does any game contain 4.2E update yet?

I have PAL Wii 4.1E, and I got Mario & Sonic: At the Olympic Winter Games today. That game contains update, but I don't know should I install it or not. If it's not 4.2E, it should be fine. So, how do I know what update the game holds? Thanks!

is your Wii softmod or virgin? with preloader you can choose to block disc update, this is how i got my retail Wii sports resort to run.

ColdSkull

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Thanks for the reply, my Wii is softmod. And yeah, I can block updates myself, but I'm worried if someone else from my family updates my Wii from the disc; That's why I should know, should I hide these games or not. And, I would prefer playing my games from Wii Menu if possible.

transam81

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ColdSkull said:
Thanks for the reply, my Wii is softmod. And yeah, I can block updates myself, but I'm worried if someone else from my family updates my Wii from the disc; That's why I should know, should I hide these games or not. And, I would prefer playing my games from Wii Menu if possible.

you can alway have preloader set to autoboot to sytem and return to system. this way the only way to change the disc update option is to hold reset while Wii starts up. so it's like hiding preloader from ppl that don't know about it. no 1 touchs option so one updates but you when you want.

s1ntex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello,
i buy Wii with WiiKey without softmod.

Can I make softmod on console, where is WiiKey? I mine, is there any danger, that i am doing softmod after WiiKey?

Thanks in advance!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: it was also the only game I played