Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

yaccobb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a little new to wii modding, and I'm having some trouble getting wii games to launch from usb loader gx. Whenever I try, I just get a black screen for several seconds, and then it crashes to homebrew.
I'm using a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB usb drive and a SanDisk 32GB Ultra microSDHC sd card, both formatted with fat32. I also tried with a SanDisk 128GB Ultra Fit USB 3.1 usb drive. Gamecube games work fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Syscheck:
SysCheck HDE v2.4.0 HacksDen Edition by JoostinOnline, Double_A, R2-D2199, and Nano
...runs on IOS58 (rev 6176).
Region: NTSC-U
System Menu 4.3U (v513)
Priiloader installed
Drive date: 02.13.2007
Homebrew Channel 1.1.2 running on IOS58
Hollywood v0x11
Console ID: 106710724
Console Type: Wii
Shop Channel Country: United States (49)
Boot2 v4
Found 93 titles.
Found 51 IOS on this console. 4 of them are stubs.
IOS4 (rev 65280): Stub
IOS9 (rev 1034): No Patches
IOS10 (rev 768): Stub
IOS11 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 526): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 512): Stub
IOS17 (rev 1032): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 1039): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1294): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1807): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3608): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS40 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS41 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS43 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS45 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS46 (rev 3607): No Patches
IOS48 (rev 4124): No Patches
IOS50 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS51 (rev 4864): Stub
IOS52 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS53 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5663): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5919): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6176): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS61 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS62 (rev 6430): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS80 (rev 16174): Trucha Bug, NAND Access
IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223[38+37] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermesrodries-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236[36] (rev 65535, Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS248[56] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS249[57] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[56] (rev 21008, Info: d2x-v8final): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS251[58] (rev 65535, Info: d2x-v10beta52): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v6
MIOS v10
Report generated on 07/12/2019.

fei0316

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
New member here, sorry if I did anything wrong...

I have a very old Japanese Wii already modded and upgraded to 4.3J. Everything has been working well except two things: Photo Channel 1.1 upgrade and Wii Fit Plus Channel.

My Wii had the original 1.0 Photo Channel (HAAA) which operates properly. I wanted to upgrade to 1.1 so I tried installing the WAD for it (HAYA v3). However it does not show any change in the Home menu. The channel is still on 1.0. However, booting the channel through USB Loader GX boots to the 1.1-b version. Mii Mod Lite shows both HAAA and HAYA are installed but not HAZA.

I also have a little question about the Wii Fit Plus channel. I play the Japanese version of this game via USB Loader which worked well but the install channel feature doesn't seem to work. It makes an entry when seen in MiiMod Lite but it's not shown in the System Menu.

Thank you very much!

alivebacon

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New member here, sorry if I did anything wrong...

I have a very old Japanese Wii already modded and upgraded to 4.3J. Everything has been working well except two things: Photo Channel 1.1 upgrade and Wii Fit Plus Channel.

My Wii had the original 1.0 Photo Channel (HAAA) which operates properly. I wanted to upgrade to 1.1 so I tried installing the WAD for it (HAYA v3). However it does not show any change in the Home menu. The channel is still on 1.0. However, booting the channel through USB Loader GX boots to the 1.1-b version. Mii Mod Lite shows both HAAA and HAYA are installed but not HAZA.

I also have a little question about the Wii Fit Plus channel. I play the Japanese version of this game via USB Loader which worked well but the install channel feature doesn't seem to work. It makes an entry when seen in MiiMod Lite but it's not shown in the System Menu.

Thank you very much!
You seem to be installing to an emunand. I don't use an emunand, but having things appear as installed but not showing on the sysmenu. Try booting without anything in the SD or USB ports, then inserting them after boot. Look in your configs to see if there is anything about the emunand that I assume you have.

Reactions: Alexander1970

fei0316

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
You seem to be installing to an emunand. I don't use an emunand, but having things appear as installed but not showing on the sysmenu. Try booting without anything in the SD or USB ports, then inserting them after boot. Look in your configs to see if there is anything about the emunand that I assume you have.

I'm almost certain that I have never installed an emuNAND and it still does not work after removing the SD card and USB drive. I'm thinking about if the system menu prefers the older version for some reason for the Photo Channel. For the Wii Fit Plus Channel, I will try to install the WAD manually.

alivebacon

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm almost certain that I have never installed an emuNAND and it still does not work after removing the SD card and USB drive. I'm thinking about if the system menu prefers the older version for some reason for the Photo Channel. For the Wii Fit Plus Channel, I will try to install the WAD manually.
OK, go into Data Management and delete any mention of Photo Channel, then install 1.1.

fei0316

Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
OK, go into Data Management and delete any mention of Photo Channel, then install 1.1.
I tried, except there's no mention of photo channel 1.1 in data management.
I fact, the only way I can tell is by going into Mod Mii and there it shows both HAYA and HAAA under the system channels section. This also makes me wonder if I have got the wrong WAD as I should be installing 1.1 as normal channels?

Thank you

alivebacon

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried, except there's no mention of photo channel 1.1 in data management.
I fact, the only way I can tell is by going into Mod Mii and there it shows both HAYA and HAAA under the system channels section. This also makes me wonder if I have got the wrong WAD as I should be installing 1.1 as normal channels?

Thank you
HAYA is the title id for 1.1. Uninstall it, grab a random 1.1 wad from the Internet, and install it.

cloudropis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I decided to get my old, vanilla Wii out from the dump where it was stored and hack it so I can bring it to a Melee tournament this Sunday. These are the steps I've taken, considering I pretty much only need Nintendont for this purpose:

- Followed wii.guide, used the str2hax exploit
- Installed the HB Channel, but couldn't install BootMii as I don't have an SD
- Skipped installation of Priiloader and clOS (I know I'm supposed to do them, along with an emunand backup and installing BootMii, and I intend to do them in the near future as soon as I get a hold of an SD card, but as I've said this is a bare minimum installation for a tournament this Sunday, I can't get an SD in time)
- Formatted a USB Drive to FAT32, installed Nintendont and Melee, it looks like this
- Inserted the USB in the top USB drives (tried both of them), opened the HBC
- Nothing is listed in the HBC. If I press 1 I get a menu that lets me choose which drive to fetch the homebrews from
- As soon as I select the Pendrive, I get an Exception (SDI) black screen error with a stack dump

What am I doing wrong? IOS58 version is fine, as is HBC version, according to the upper right in the HBC. What's causing this?

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Pendrives are not well supported in Wii so avoid them and use a USB HDD instead. Even if your pendrive works, you missed the icon.png for Nintendont, HBC will only display an empty button for it.
Don't you have an any gear (like a digital camera) that uses an SD? Take it out, backup all the files in it, format it to FAT32 and use that in the Wii for the games and apps (at least temporary) - it is way simplier to setup that way

cloudropis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Pendrives are not well supported in Wii so avoid them and use a USB HDD instead. Even if your pendrive works, you missed the icon.png for Nintendont, HBC will only display an empty button for it.
Don't you have an any gear (like a digital camera) that uses an SD? Take it out, backup all the files in it, format it to FAT32 and use that in the Wii for the games and apps (at least temporary) - it is way simplier to setup that way
Nintendont explicitely mentions USB drives are viable storage, are they really that bad? Especially considering I only need it for one game every two-three months and not for general use?
You gave me a great idea by mentioning digital cameras, managed to find an old one but the SD inside of it is only 256mb, which is probably not enough even to complete the rest of the guide

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
- Skipped installation of Priiloader[…]
Please don’t do that. Skipping Priiloader is a very bad idea in my opinion. No BootMii(boot2), no NAND backup and no Priiloder means no protection against softbricks at all.

[…]You gave me a great idea by mentioning digital cameras, managed to find an old one but the SD inside of it is only 256mb, which is probably not enough even to complete the rest of the guide
While 256MB is not enough for backing up the NAND, it is enough to put some apps on it (Priiloader installer). Loading apps from USB is possible but some won’t work this way – SD card has best compatibility for loading homebrew apps.

Nintendont explicitely mentions USB drives are viable storage, are they really that bad? Especially considering I only need it for one game every two-three months and not for general use?
Most members here advise against using USB flash drives as they tend to cause more problems than classic HDDs. However I see no problem in trying to use one. Some are quite usable, some don’t work at all and some work while reading but cause crashes when trying to write (dumping discs). In fact I found a 64GB flash drive, (very small dimensions – just a little bigger than the USB plug) that works fine for me. Not a single crash after countless hours of playing Wii games.
But using a HDD is in general better.

tswntk

Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
You gave me a great idea by mentioning digital cameras, managed to find an old one but the SD inside of it is only 256mb, which is probably not enough even to complete the rest of the guide

directly from Nintendont:
:blank:Game on USB

To install games on USB, you need to follow the same instructions than SD card.
It's the same path and same filename, except it's placed on USB.

Though, USB has some restriction and the games must be located on:
- The drive must use MBR partition table (not GPT)
- The partition must be primary (not extended or logical)
- The partition must be formated as FAT32 with 64k/cluster or less. (32k/cluster and 64k/cluster recommended)
- The partition must be the first partition of the partition table, or the first primary FAT32 partition of the table.

Nintendont is compatible with USB2.0 and USB3.0 drives.
Nintendont used to be compatible with 4kB sector size and drives bigger than 2TB, but seems to have issues since v2.230.
If you have compatibility issues with such drive, try v2.229
If you are have a 4K or a drive bigger than 2TB and don't encounter issue using v3.xxx, please report in this thread your drive/enclosure model to help other users choose a compatible drive.

- The USB device can be connected on any USB Port, but it MUST be connected alone.
Do NOT connect another HDD at the same time. Even a WiiU formated HDD will prevent Nintendont from working.
Please, disconnect all your other connected device before launching Nintendont.

You think it is referring to 2TB pendrives?

Even Nintendo itself doesn't recommend flash drives: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/...rmation-about-USB-storage-devices-677837.html

OK, lets say Nintendont do support your pendrive, but how are you going to run nintendont if HBC can't even read it from the pendrive?

cloudropis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Please don’t do that. Skipping Priiloader is a very bad idea in my opinion. No BootMii(boot2), no NAND backup and no Priiloder means no protection against softbricks at all.

While 256MB is not enough for backing up the NAND, it is enough to put some apps on it (Priiloader installer). Loading apps from USB is possible but some won’t work this way – SD card has best compatibility for loading homebrew apps.

Most members here advise against using USB flash drives as they tend to cause more problems than classic HDDs. However I see no problem in trying to use one. Some are quite usable, some don’t work at all and some work while reading but cause crashes when trying to write (dumping discs). In fact I found a 64GB flash drive, (very small dimensions – just a little bigger than the USB plug) that works fine for me. Not a single crash after countless hours of playing Wii games.
But using a HDD is in general better.
I understand. Unfortunately I'm cockblocked by the very small SD card I have available. For bricking prevention purposes which apps would you suggest prioritizing, considering I only have 256MB? Is there any benefit in installing BootMii, considering I don't have space for a NAND backup and I can't install it in boot2? If there aren't any, guess the only thing I can do is install Priiloder

Last edited by cloudropis,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I understand. Unfortunately I'm cockblocked by the very small SD card I have available. For bricking prevention purposes which apps would you suggest prioritizing, considering I only have 256MB? Is there any benefit in installing BootMii, considering I don't have space for a NAND backup and I can't install it in boot2? If there aren't any, guess the only thing I can do is install Priiloder
There are more or less only two brick prevention apps: BootMii and Priiloader.

Priiloader does not even need any space on SD (after installation the installer can be removed). Most apps are very small. You could even put emulators with some ROMs and homebrew games onto that – in addition to some USB loader and Nintendont.
  • USB Loader GX
  • SNES9X
  • WiiMC (media center)
  • Priiloader installer
  • HackMiiInstaller
  • BootMii files
  • Save Manager GX
  • Clean Rip
  • gcmm (GameCube memory card manager)
  • Syscheck HDE
and some more: Less than 100MB.

But getting a bigger SD is a good idea. BootMii(IOS) is not terribly useful – even less useful without space for a NAND backup, but installing it does no harm. I see no reason not to install BootMii. Priiloader should be able to open BootMii(IOS) if needed.

cloudropis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There are more or less only two brick prevention apps: BootMii and Priiloader.

Priiloader does not even need any space on SD (after installation the installer can be removed). Most apps are very small. You could even put emulators with some ROMs and homebrew games onto that – in addition to some USB loader and Nintendont.
  • USB Loader GX
  • SNES9X
  • WiiMC (media center)
  • Priiloader installer
  • HackMiiInstaller
  • BootMii files
  • Save Manager GX
  • Clean Rip
  • gcmm (GameCube memory card manager)
  • Syscheck HDE
and some more: Less than 100MB.

But getting a bigger SD is a good idea. BootMii(IOS) is not terribly useful – even less useful without space for a NAND backup, but installing it does no harm. I see no reason not to install BootMii. Priiloader should be able to open BootMii(IOS) if needed.
Thank you man, I'm gonna install Priiloder right away then. Unfortunately the only thing I need right now is Nintendont and a Melee iso, which needs at least a 2gb drive, but good to know I still get some decent mileage out of my current SD.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.