Homebrew noob needs Wii help loading ISOs

toptenmaterial

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone, my friend hacked my Wii a while back, but recently the external hard drive was destroyed. I've gotten a new hard drive but am in over my head. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. The drive is formatted to FAT32, that much I did remember to do. But the games are inaccessible through WiiFlow or through the WAD manager. Here's where I might be going wrong I think:

1. There should maybe be a specific file structure or partition in the hard drive.

2. I needed to do something special to the ISO and didn't, maybe it's in the wrong format or something.

3. I'm not doing the right thing on the Wii side of things and not accessing the correct program.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

aoidxc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I'm not so sure, but i remember i had to convert isos to wbfs and copy them to a wbfs folder on your hard drive

toptenmaterial

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So here's what I tried: I made two folders in the drive, just to see what would happen. One I called FAT32, the other I called WBFS. I loaded copies of my games onto each. Only one game was an wbfs file, and it was only about 335mb or so (the game is NSMB). Anyhow, I was able to get WiiFlow to at least recognize the presence of this file. The first time that I tried to load it I got a crazy screen of code, and subsequent times I got booted out to the homebrew menu. But I'm on the right track!

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So here's what I tried: I made two folders in the drive, just to see what would happen. One I called FAT32, the other I called WBFS. I loaded copies of my games onto each. Only one game was an wbfs file, and it was only about 335mb or so (the game is NSMB). Anyhow, I was able to get WiiFlow to at least recognize the presence of this file. The first time that I tried to load it I got a crazy screen of code, and subsequent times I got booted out to the homebrew menu. But I'm on the right track!
Your best bet, pal, is to use ModMii (as it was the best thing to use, back in the days). Check this page to download it (it's a windows tool). Install it, answer questions it will ask you, and re-hack your wii (it will actually update with the most recent hacks). It should be fairly simple to get your setup up and running in no time. http://gbatemp.net/threads/modmii-for-windows-official-support-topic.207126/page-427#post-7747813

Reactions: toptenmaterial

toptenmaterial

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So most of my Wii backups are running shitty, with the exception of NSMB which the person who provided it shrunk it to about 335mb. Other games freeze or have audio glitches. What are the common culprits? Thanks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

aoidxc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
You are using wiiflow, right? I had to set up which cios to use because some games didn't boot. Set wiiflow to use your cios 250, that was the only way all my backups were functional

aoidxc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
cios is the custom system your wii has installed. It is not related to "isos". Please try what i told you before. I have all my games converted to wbfs and i had to set up wiiflow as i mentioned earlier

aoidxc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
you have to set it up for every game you launch, before launching any game you will see the settings icon, click on it and find "ios" option on that menu. it is set up to auto by default, change it to 250.
Please forgive me if i can't give you exact details since i'm telling you what i remember.

IMG_20131210_194152_084.jpg
I found this screenshot, hope it helps you

Last edited by aoidxc,

toptenmaterial

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you have to set it up for every game you launch, before launching any game you will see the settings icon, click on it and find "ios" option on that menu. it is set up to auto by default, change it to 250.
Please forgive me if i can't give you exact details since i'm telling you what i remember.

View attachment 109649

Hey thanks a lot. I'll plug it in in the morning and let you know how it went.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

View attachment 109649
Leave it on auto, only change it for games that need it. The vast majority of games work with 249 but there's a chance his Wii has a non standard/outdated cIOS setup, in which case that should be updated first before trying anything else.
Hey thanks a lot. I'll plug it in in the morning and let you know how it went.
Only change it for the games that need it, as the default setting is fine for the vast majority of games. If the games are booting that's usually not the issue.
Every game was converted to wbfs.
WBFS files on FAT32 or a WBFS formatted HDD? The latter isn't recommended anymore.
Also, always use Wii Backup Manager to transfer Wii games.
You might also want to update your cIOS, newer versions have better compatibility. The latest recommended version is d2x v10 beta 52 (base 56 in slot 249 and base 57 in 250)

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

toptenmaterial

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leave it on auto, only change it for games that need it. The vast majority of games work with 249 but there's a chance his Wii has a non standard/outdated cIOS setup, in which case that should be updated first before trying anything else.

Only change it for the games that need it, as the default setting is fine for the vast majority of games. If the games are booting that's usually not the issue.

WBFS files on FAT32 or a WBFS formatted HDD? The latter isn't recommended anymore.
Also, always use Wii Backup Manager to transfer Wii games.
You might also want to update your cIOS, newer versions have better compatibility. The latest recommended version is d2x v10 beta 52 (base 56 in slot 249 and base 57 in 250)
I have a drive formatted to FAT32, this is the replacement drive that I'm setting up. I wasn't involved in initially hacking the Wii so I'm just starting to get the swing of it.

How do I update the cIOS? Please forgive the redundancy of my questions. This is a whole new world for me.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I have a drive formatted to FAT32, this is the replacement drive that I'm setting up. I wasn't involved in initially hacking the Wii so I'm just starting to get the swing of it.

How do I update the cIOS? Please forgive the redundancy of my questions. This is a whole new world for me.
Start by posting a sysCheck: https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/
That will tell us if there's anything that needs to be updated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool