Homebrew Noob guide please?

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just re-discovered my 3DS in an old box and it happened to have 4.5.0-10U firmware. After a little reading, I discovered that tremendous progress has been made with 3DS homebrew. However, alll the hacking guides I found seem to be out-of-date and contradict each other. I would really appreciate it if someone who knows the current answers would answer these for me:

- Is there a way to softmod straight from the SD card, or do I need to buy something? (like a DS flashcart?)

- What's the safest way to allow homebrew on my 3DS?

- What can and can't be done?

PS: I did read this sticky.

-

ieatpixels

Trophies
XP
Country
There is cfw for 4.5 which enables homebrew and backups but AFAIK it doesn't let you play newer games.
You can install .cia games which is eshop games and retail games can be converted to .cia too.

I would recommend trying to install cfw for your 3DS. (there's only 1 type and it only supports 4.5)
and then looking up the Ninjhax hack which enables a nice homebrew launcher with the latest homebrew apps available.

If you want the full experience you'll want to get a Gateway which cost about $80 but has more features than anything else.
Using Gateway is much easier than installing CFW.

Mr. Mysterio

Super Genius
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sooo sorry it took me so long to send this reply. My computer's hard disk died. :cry:

There is cfw for 4.5 which enables homebrew and backups but AFAIK it doesn't let you play newer games.
You can install .cia games which is eshop games and retail games can be converted to .cia too.

I would recommend trying to install cfw for your 3DS. (there's only 1 type and it only supports 4.5)
and then looking up the Ninjhax hack which enables a nice homebrew launcher with the latest homebrew apps available.

If you want the full experience you'll want to get a Gateway which cost about $80 but has more features than anything else.
Using Gateway is much easier than installing CFW.

Thanks! That helps a lot. Now I know what methods to look into. I probably will try the Ninjhax method first, but if that fails then I will buy a gateway.

Reactions: ieatpixels

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.