Tutorial NOOB friendly guide to Downgrading your 3DS (From FW <10.7!!)

Didja downgrade successfully from 10.4/10.5/10.6 ?

• O3ds yes

Votes: 137 41.6%
  • O3ds no

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • New 3DS yes

Votes: 128 38.9%
  • New 3DS no

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • I'll wait until yls8/smea releases an entrypoint for me

Votes: 73 22.2%

• Total voters

HyoImowano

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So i've tried to downgrade an european and old 3ds from 10.5 to 9.2 and ... softbrick.

Strangely, i don't made any mistake in the process and this is the first time that i brick a console by following a tutorial.

So i'm now on 10.6, waiting for an easy access :/

Try to press L+R+A+UP when booting. If it's only a softbrick you can update by internet ( but only on the last firmware )

Still had black screen. Nobody's fault but my own :(. So, uh, anyone do hardmod services? Hopefully in Japan?

dannyboy941

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the update now i can help my Friend to downgrade his New 3ds XL OFW10.6 to 9.2 then to my own Sysnand CFW10.7.993(REAL is 9.2 just modify it but you able use eshop) with permament arm9/arm11 exploit where you dont need to use an menuhax zu load an CFW first. Only if he want to use an Emunand you well need the Rxtools and more.

Last edited by dannyboy941,

FanmadeEndings

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Damn, this is impressive. Like, they can (temporaly) fix browserhax on 10.6, but fail to permanently fix that kernel thing? Really?

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
My New 3DS now on firmware 9.9.0 26U , Can I use this method for downgrading too?
Use this guide instead

I might just be dumb, but I got a black screen after downgrade, figured it was a menuhax issue (sysUpdater reported success, pressed b to restart) and removed the SD card, still have a black screen on boot. Any ideas?

EDIT: N3DS 10.5->9.2

EDIT 2:I goofed...hard. I accidentally used the O3DS 9.2 files. Is there any hope for me without a hardmod?
I am really sorry, but you should've read the warning.

So i've tried to downgrade an european and old 3ds from 10.5 to 9.2 and ... softbrick.

Strangely, i don't made any mistake in the process and this is the first time that i brick a console by following a tutorial.

Try to press L+R+A+UP when booting. If it's only a softbrick you can update by internet ( but only on the last firmware )
Did you do a system firmat and a SD format before downgrade?
What entrypoint did you use?
What was the size of your SD Card?

Last edited by Salamencizer,

Eduardolicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
allright so, everything is awesome. what ive got myself set up with currently is

default boot is sysnand 9.2, hold down to boot menuhax which launches ctrbootmanager which lets me choose either my cakescfw emunand (which ive successfully updated to 10.6 and bought fire emblem dlc with yesssss) or homebrewlauncher

i only have two things that are being a little fussy at this point, and not sure if i missed something:

1) id say theres a 50/50 chance of cakes not launching, and just staying at a black screen. is that pretty normal with the current version? should i try an older version maybe? or is there a fix for this (i saw theres a whole further process of dumping an otp to do some other stuff but ehhhh im working pretty ok right now)

2) trying to install CIAs with FBI is failing, whether i try to install to nand or to sd. i'm not sure if i missed a step, or maybe i'm doing something wrong..i'm launching fbi.3dsx from homebrewlauncher after ctrbootmanager, am i launching it incorrectly? if theres a doc for this thing i cant seem to find it lol

kralde

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A question here

It's possible to downgrade a New 3ds system that came with 9.9 from the box?
I mean, to downgrade to 9,2, it is needed that the console have had 9.2 fw or less in the past?

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
allright so, everything is awesome. what ive got myself set up with currently is

default boot is sysnand 9.2, hold down to boot menuhax which launches ctrbootmanager which lets me choose either my cakescfw emunand (which ive successfully updated to 10.6 and bought fire emblem dlc with yesssss) or homebrewlauncher

i only have two things that are being a little fussy at this point, and not sure if i missed something:

1) id say theres a 50/50 chance of cakes not launching, and just staying at a black screen. is that pretty normal with the current version? should i try an older version maybe? or is there a fix for this (i saw theres a whole further process of dumping an otp to do some other stuff but ehhhh im working pretty ok right now)

2) trying to install CIAs with FBI is failing, whether i try to install to nand or to sd. i'm not sure if i missed a step, or maybe i'm doing something wrong..i'm launching fbi.3dsx from homebrewlauncher after ctrbootmanager, am i launching it incorrectly? if theres a doc for this thing i cant seem to find it lol
1. It has a low chance of booting CFW, yes.If you want 100 CFW boot every time, you can check out the arm9loaderhax guide in my signature.
2. To install CIAs with FBI, you need signature checks patched, which is possible only if your using a CFW. Try using Pasta each time you wanna install a CIA.
A question here

It's possible to downgrade a New 3ds system that came with 9.9 from the box?
I mean, to downgrade to 9,2, it is needed that the console have had 9.2 fw or less in the past?
I think it is possible to downgrade, but you can cross check with an expert.

Eduardolicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2. To install CIAs with FBI, you need signature checks patched, which is possible only if your using a CFW. Try using Pasta each time you wanna install a CIA.
i selected the option in cakes to patch signatures, but how would i launch fbi from within the emunand? since its on 10.6 i cant browserhax/menuhax, would doing this mean needing another entrypoint?

or maybe im thinking this whole thing wrong. suddenly none of what i just said makes any sense to me lol. i think maybe i attempted to learn too many things in one day haha

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
I might just be dumb, but I got a black screen after downgrade, figured it was a menuhax issue (sysUpdater reported success, pressed b to restart) and removed the SD card, still have a black screen on boot. Any ideas?

EDIT: N3DS 10.5->9.2

EDIT 2:I goofed...hard. I accidentally used the O3DS 9.2 files. Is there any hope for me without a hardmod?
Report it here please

i selected the option in cakes to patch signatures, but how would i launch fbi from within the emunand? since its on 10.6 i cant browserhax/menuhax, would doing this mean needing another entrypoint?

or maybe im thinking this whole thing wrong. suddenly none of what i just said makes any sense to me lol. i think maybe i attempted to learn too many things in one day haha
Now your only option is injecting FBI into the Health and Safety app

Reynaldi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
hey, thanks for the guide
i have a new 3ds with 10.5 fw and trying to downgrade it but i have an issue while running the sysupdater

i get inside the browserhax and when i press a on sysupdater to run it, i got black screen and nothing happened.
i can turn it off by pressing the power button and can get inside browserhax again but sysupdater still can't be run
any suggestion?
thx

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
hey, thanks for the guide
i have a new 3ds with 10.5 fw and trying to downgrade it but i have an issue while running the sysupdater

i get inside the browserhax and when i press a on sysupdater to run it, i got black screen and nothing happened.
i can turn it off by pressing the power button and can get inside browserhax again but sysupdater still can't be run
any suggestion?
thx
USE MENUHAX. Please
Very nice tut, but will this work to downgrade from 9.8 to 9.2?
You can use this guide for firms lower than 10.3.(This one will work fine too)

Slimfr01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Did you do a system firmat ?

No

SD format before downgrade?

Yes

What entrypoint did you use?

THEMEHAX

What was the size of your SD Card?

32Gb

Thank's for your guide and your help. ;)

Slimfr01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Looks like sysUpdater crashed in between the process. Did you then successfully downgrade?

After the downgrade, I've got the message "Update installed. To restart, press B" and nothing except the 3DS error message asking to call the customer support. ( with or without the SD card )

8_Blue_8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
ok, i'm a complete noob in those things. I have a nnid with lots of games and paired with my wiiu account. Will cfw, downgrading, and all that affect my account at all ? Or after the process i can still use everything i'm using now ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 📚 🗒️ ✏️ 🤓 +1