Tutorial NOOB friendly guide to Downgrading your 3DS (From FW <10.7!!)

Didja downgrade successfully from 10.4/10.5/10.6 ?

• O3ds yes

Votes: 137 41.6%
  • O3ds no

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • New 3DS yes

Votes: 128 38.9%
  • New 3DS no

Votes: 18 5.5%
  • I'll wait until yls8/smea releases an entrypoint for me

Votes: 73 22.2%

• Total voters

Eduardolicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
allright im about to undertake this (on my 10.5 n3ds US) since i need that sweet fire emblem dlc but didnt want to lose my limited homebrew i had so far. sounds like thats been working for people with my setup but will report back shortly..

oh while im copyin all my stuff, correct me if i'm wrong, if i copy just the /3ds folder from my sdcard somewhere thats my savegames and my downloaded games right? and then i can format sd, do the whole thing, and dump that /3ds folder back into the emunand when all is said and done and not have to redownload anything? (or god forbid lose my fire emblem save lol)

man exciting times!

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
allright im about to undertake this (on my 10.5 n3ds US) since i need that sweet fire emblem dlc but didnt want to lose my limited homebrew i had so far. sounds like thats been working for people with my setup but will report back shortly..

oh while im copyin all my stuff, correct me if i'm wrong, if i copy just the /3ds folder from my sdcard somewhere thats my savegames and my downloaded games right? and then i can format sd, do the whole thing, and dump that /3ds folder back into the emunand when all is said and done and not have to redownload anything? (or god forbid lose my fire emblem save lol)

man exciting times!
So, I'll explain what you have to do.
First, copy your SD Card contents on your computer. Everything. Then format it. Then just copy the 3ds folder with just the sysUpdater folder, and the updates folder back onto your SD Card. Don't forget you Nintendo 3DS folder, and the menuhax payload. That's it. Now, start your 3ds, and get into HBL. Select sysUpdater, and Then press Y to downgrade. Wait for about 10 secs, It seems like frozen, but it's not. Then after getting CIA information's, don't touch your 3DS anymore. It is a good practice of keeping it on charge while downgrading.
EDIT: Don't forget boot.3dsx

Last edited by Salamencizer,

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
Can I downgrade with New3ds xl with 10.5 with menuhax?
Yes, you can. Just be sure to get a New 3DS downgrade pack.

Also how high is the chance of bricking?
Chance of softbricking is like 0.01%, and hard bricking is negligible, unless you don't do anything stupid. It is a lil bit more on the New 3DS though, but it's worth taking the chance.

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
Do I get it at "that site" ?
Yes, at that ISO site, or that chaosful site (note me saying chaosful instead of chaotic) which I consider better. MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions) - 10.5 packs added - 7/2/2016 Cha0s Em3rald
Google that and click that first link

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
Also do I have to format to not be bricked because that is such a hassle (im kinda lazy :) )
So, I'll explain what you have to do.
First, copy your SD Card contents on your computer. Everything. Then format it. Then just copy the 3ds folder with just the sysUpdater folder, and the updates folder back onto your SD Card. Don't forget you Nintendo 3DS folder, and the menuhax payload. That's it. Now, start your 3ds, and get into HBL. Select sysUpdater, and Then press Y to downgrade. Wait for about 10 secs, It seems like frozen, but it's not. Then after getting CIA information's, don't touch your 3DS anymore. It is a good practice of keeping it on charge while downgrading.

frillyseal_69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And I really hope this works because I dont want to pay $200 to get a new 3ds...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks

Salamencizer

Cute Hot Whatever
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
India
And I really hope this works because I dont want to pay $200 to get a new 3ds...
Chances of bricks are very less. Just don't switch it off during the downgrade process, or put it onto sleep mode while downgrading, or use Old 3DS files for your New 3DS, lest it shall hard brick. Also, don't use browserhax, but use menuhax, because of stability.

Last edited by Salamencizer,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    I can't believe you got me with that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl: