Non-Gateway owners and concerned Gateway users: E-mail Gateway

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Kallo, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Kallo
    OP

Kallo Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2013
    United States
    I did not make this thread with the intention of creating another battlefield to defend/attack Gateway. But it is clear from looking at pages upon pages of threads that the alleged kill code has shaken the 3DS card community. Arguing about it on forums may satisfy your rage but it is not constructive. The best thing that you could do to end this is to politely urge Gateway to release a firmware that does not contain any kill code. Here is an example:

If many concerned people email Gateway politely they will perhaps realize that we are not Chinese gangsters or mafia masquerading as customers. The kill code is a poison to not just Gateway or clones, but the community and I hope that we can work together to get rid of it. Avoiding theft is a problem in all software industries, but using such a violent method is rare because it is unethical.

Even if you support Gateway including DRM to thwart clones I can't imagine you wish that users have their 3DS destroyed when there are other solutions such as improved obfuscation and crypto. As such I encourage everyone to contact them and clean up this bickering and panic surrounding 3DS cards. This will create a better atmosphere for potential customers and those already who already own 3DS cards. Otherwise I fear this could all lead to a mass rebranding of many cards (Gateway included) in an effort to avoid the stigma of bricking, forcing everyone to rebuy cards. Their email can be found on the Contacts tab on the official Gateway website.

2. TheCruel

TheCruel Developer

Banned
    Dec 6, 2013
    United States
    You're clearly a R4 Chinese gangster shill. ;)

But you're right for the most part.

3. Huntereb

Huntereb GBAtemp Addict

Sep 1, 2013
    United States

THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE CONVERSATIONS.

4. Cyberdrive

Cyberdrive GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2013
    Serbia, Republic of
    Oh my God, this is naive beyond words, they're fully aware of all this and they don't give a flying pig about anything other than their profits. You'll get "GW is 100% safe but if an impossible happens, we'll fix your 3DS. Or you can use v1.2 if you're really paranoid" copypasta. I'm still interested in the wording, though, so please post their reply, if any.

5. RikuCrafter

RikuCrafter GBAtemp Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    I'll join in for the good of my fellow man. If I can help gateway owners in any way, I'll help. What's their email?

6. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    OP posts reasonable advice, this guy posts a whiny, off-topic rant. Way to go.

7. justinkb

justinkb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2012
    Netherlands
    Your standards are way too high for these forums. ;-)

Schizoanalysis likes this.
  8. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    *delete please, forum lagging*

9. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    *delete please, forum lagging*

10. Kallo
    OP

Kallo Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2013
    United States
    https://www.google.com/search?q=gateway+3ds+contact

First result, email is also visible from search page. (Only posting it this way since I think direct linking isn't allowed here.)

11. kyogre123

kyogre123 Mexican Pride

Sep 23, 2013
    Mexico
    I already emailed Gateway (as I am a Gateway customer) asking some points in a unbiased way. This means, I didn't accuse them for doing a conspiracy against clone users whatsoever.

Personally, I doubt they will actually give a straight answer, as they seem a bit entitled in saying that their work is bug-free, but let's see what they are going to respond. Maybe they won't show reluctance this time.

12. RikuCrafter

RikuCrafter GBAtemp Regular

Oct 8, 2011
    I've emailed this. Interested to see what I get back (I threw the first question in since I'm genuinely interested to see what they say)

13. Kallo
    OP

Kallo Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2013
    United States
    Kudos to those sending emails. If consumer backlash can persuade a huge and rigid companies like Microsoft to backpedal on over the line DRM, a small team of individuals whose livelihood depends on the success of their product can as well.

14. bkifft

bkifft avowed Cuthwaldian

Jun 10, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Yeah. Why not start an email DDoS. But please put r4i, orange and 3dslink in the cc (in case you can't find their email adresses just use webmaster@[domain].[topleveldomain]). Then we can even brag about how much better the competitors support is compared to gateways!