Non-authorized third party Xbox controllers and accessories soon to be blocked

controllers.png

From November 12th, Microsoft promises to block third party accessories that are not authorized by the company from being used on the Xbox, on an unprecedented anti-competitive move. This restriction includes game controllers.

Some current unauthorized accessory users have been receiving the following warning:

A connected accessory is not authorized. Using unauthorized accessories compromises your gaming experience. For this reason, the unauthorized accessory will be blocked from use on 11/12/2023.

For help returning it, check with the store it came from or contact the manufacturer. To see authorized accessories, go to
www.xbox.com/accessories. (0x82d60002).

Brook Gaming, a manufacturer of third party controller adapters and fight sticks, put out an official statement regarding the upcoming change, and are looking for solutions to keep their products working on Xbox consoles.

A list of authorized accessories can be found on the official Xbox accessory page--most of which are specifically wired gamepads. Going forward, brands will need to have a specific chip and authorization from Microsoft itself to function as an official wireless accessory on Xbox systems.

:arrow: Source

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ultimately, I think it should be the end-user's decision, not Microsoft's. You don't see Nintendo or Sony doing this, do you?
Have Sony or Nintendo done anything like this?

sony did something similar with replacement side panels for the ps5. They just wanted the whole market, so threatened to sue everyone who made them. obviously different, in that microsoft controllers are software based and it affects actual use, but both have the same petty premise of "noooo you can't! we want more money!" anti-consumer tomfoolery

Reactions: HarveyHouston

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Reactions: osaka35

MultiKoopa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like all 8BitDo compatible controllers will stop working then and users will have to buy "authorized" low quality crap ones (coff, coff, PowerA and alikes).

Nice move MicroSucks, "awesome" gaming experience for your more and more limited gamebase.

Another reason not to buy anything xbox related stuff... checked.

Who's next sunny?
wait why would 8bitdo stop working

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
In regards to Flatpak, there are ways to change the RW permissions such as Flatseal (I've not used it myself though). Although IMO they should make Flatpak by default more 'Android-esque' e.g. ask on first run for extended file permissions.

But still, I'd take Flatpak over compile from source, years ago when I had to live with Linux Mint for a week on a Netbook, I wanted to play Marathon via Alephone. On Win I just had to download the binary/game files and run the exe, on Linux it was compile from source at the time, so I had to mess around downloading all the libraries and then the damn thing wouldn't compile.
Not on an immutable filesystem though, which SteamOS and its derivatives are.

Yeah the dark days were pretty dark, especially if you don't speak C. Again though, meson has made compiling trivial compared to what GCC used to be, it has pretty easily understandable flags and in most cases will succeed without any flags at all. Aside from GNU utils, the vast majority of software now uses meson because its quicker to create a build project, easier for the user to understand and has a sane default mechanism that does require users to understand whatever the fuck -Wnoerrorexceptforanytimeanumberappears=1 actually means :rofl2:

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is sony going pull this trend i hope not... still i don't see the point behind this sadly.....

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice that shit like this never happens to PC. Microsoft tried to force people to have some weird DRM on their motherboard, but people bypassed it anyway. Also, I just use Linux, because Windows 11 is too shit.

Thinking back, I remember having issues with "windows authorized drivers", and had to run Windows 7 in a weird mode to bypass it, so I can use a certain controller. This was like 10 years ago.

frozencat

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
View attachment 401801

From November 12th, Microsoft promises to block third party accessories that are not authorized by the company from being used on the Xbox, on an unprecedented anti-competitive move. This restriction includes game controllers.

Some current unauthorized accessory users have been receiving the following warning:

Brook Gaming, a manufacturer of third party controller adapters and fight sticks, put out an official statement regarding the upcoming change, and are looking for solutions to keep their products working on Xbox consoles.

A list of authorized accessories can be found on the official Xbox accessory page--most of which are specifically wired gamepads. Going forward, brands will need to have a specific chip and authorization from Microsoft itself to function as an official wireless accessory on Xbox systems.

:arrow: Source
man I can't wait to buy my ps5 :D

_47iscool

Noticer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"on an unprecedented anti-competitive move"

Like they did with the Datel memory units for the 360 because they held more save data than their own.

And not to mention how both they and Sony are trying to buy up as many third-party game companies as possible. Rockstar (not that I care for them anymore) going to PS is really going to hurt Xbox.

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
OP
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
man I can't wait to buy my ps5 :D
Why? PS5 does this from the start. This is only worse on Xbox now because people have bought non-authorized controllers that will stop working on the console. It'll make people spend more money than they already have and will generate a lot of e-waste.

Reactions: Error-1-2435-8325

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This can't be right. If printer manufacturers are breaking the law when they block third party ink cartridges why should MS get away with this?

Please somebody raise a class action suit against Sony already.

And for that matter also Nintendo for not waking up on third party controller.

By the way Xbox controller kick ass so really no reason to do this.
Post automatically merged:

I wanted to buy one, but now i am not longer going to. It is not about why, it is about the principle.
If you don't know buy me by now
You will never, never, never know buy me
No, you won't (Oooh)
No, you won't, no, you won't, no, you won't

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
We know this has nothing to do with "compromising gaming experience" and I get to choose my own experience. I get to play what I want and the way I play it after I pay for it, no fucking company should be allowed to dictate that.

These companies start to nickel and dime people once their bottom line is compromised, I mean check out shitty google on youtube and how they are threatening users who enable ad-blockers on their platform.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These companies start to nickel and dime people once their bottom line is compromised, I mean check out shitty google on youtube and how they are threatening users who enable ad-blockers on their platform.
Louis Rossman's video about avoiding their ads got removed. Google is making itself an even bigger enemy of the internet.

m00k00

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Now compare that to the Steamdeck where Valve is putting extra work into supporting a TON of controllers and even providing an open platform where you can just boot into a Linux Desktop ... and then tell me why the XBOX is commercially more successful than the Steamdeck. People seem to like to get ripped off :(

Dungeonseeker

Trophies
XP
Country
Nice that shit like this never happens to PC. Microsoft tried to force people to have some weird DRM on their motherboard, but people bypassed it anyway. Also, I just use Linux, because Windows 11 is too shit.

Thinking back, I remember having issues with "windows authorized drivers", and had to run Windows 7 in a weird mode to bypass it, so I can use a certain controller. This was like 10 years ago.
Before anyone calls me an MS shill, go back and read my previous posts in this thread....

Having a hardware based RNG is SUPER important for security. The ability to create cryptography keys outside of the OS/Kernel makes it much harder for anyone to interfere with the process, either by a MITM/interception attack or by forcing a known key to be generated destroying the concept of private/public key pairs entirely. To exploit the TPM you first need to jailbreak it and since its 2 steps removed from the kernel space I'm not 100% sure that would even be possible without physical access to the hardware, you'd need to get through Secure Boot before you can even make it to the TPM (assuming you aren't a moron and have SB disabled).

The Linux kernel RNG module has had baked in TPM based encryption for decades and it has been the preferred default for a long time. You'll not hear me say this too often by MS were absolutely correct to force users to have a TPM, we've reached the point now where any system old enough to not have a TPM built right in to the MB is unsupported by Windows 10/11 anyway and should be using a Linux LTS release that still gets security updates on a relatively legacy kernel, something MS is unwilling to do outside of the most extreme cases.

I feel like anybody complaining about this move doesn't really understand what the TPM does and why its important to have entropy disconnected from Ring 0.

Reactions: retrospect

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto