Hacking Noisey DVD Drive

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Does anyone else find the Wii increadibly noisey when reading their Backuped up games?

Im not complaining because I love Backup loader and am enjoying COD on Gamma but its so load when reading disks.

I use very good verbatim dvd-r discs and write the games slowly (not that I think it makes any difference, but i still do it).

Games I have found particulary noisey are FIfa and COD:WOW. Maybe its just me. you can drown it out with game sounds, but Im a little worried about what its doing to my PAL Wii.

What does everyone else think? Has anyone founf any type of disc or anything makes a difference?

timbo

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I've only used one kind of disc, but yes, generally the drive is a lot louder than when reading normal games.
doesnt sound too good
wink2.gif

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
tlangford said:
Does anyone else find the Wii increadibly noisey when reading their Backuped up games?

Im not complaining because I love Backup loader and am enjoying COD on Gamma but its so load when reading disks.

I use very good verbatim dvd-r discs and write the games slowly (not that I think it makes any difference, but i still do it).

Games I have found particulary noisey are FIfa and COD:WOW. Maybe its just me. you can drown it out with game sounds, but Im a little worried about what its doing to my PAL Wii.

What does everyone else think? Has anyone founf any type of disc or anything makes a difference?

timbo

Maybe your burns are correct but not good. Try a higher speed, newer dvd burners(2 years or less old) are built to burn at 12x or 16x, if you really worry about it. My wii gets noisy with DVD9s and with Wii Sports(original). The Wii Sports backup is as quiet as the original should be.

denzil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tlangford said:
I don't know why this is not common knowledge, but what you are witnessing is inevitable. The layout, i.e., the positions where data is put on the disk, differs between originals and backups. First of all because backup media is not written in the same way as original data. Also, many times a great deal of effort goes into mastering the original disks, laying out the data in a way so the pickup movements are minimized. User writeable media cannot possibly duplicate an original disk layout, so the head will have to move considerably more than with original media, and that's the "noise" you are witnessing. It doesn't harm the motors, though, pickup motors are designed for that movement. It is only an audible inconvenience.

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
tlangford said:
D

Maybe your burns are correct but not good. Try a higher speed, newer dvd burners(2 years or less old) are built to burn at 12x or 16x, if you really worry about it. My wii gets noisy with DVD9s and with Wii Sports(original). The Wii Sports backup is as quiet as the original should be.

denzil said:
QUOTE(tlangford @ Nov 15 2008, 10:26 AM)
I don't know why this is not common knowledge, but what you are witnessing is inevitable. The layout, i.e., the positions where data is put on the disk, differs between originals and backups. First of all because backup media is not written in the same way as original data. Also, many times a great deal of effort goes into mastering the original disks, laying out the data in a way so the pickup movements are minimized. User writeable media cannot possibly duplicate an original disk layout, so the head will have to move considerably more than with original media, and that's the "noise" you are witnessing. It doesn't harm the motors, though, pickup motors are designed for that movement. It is only an audible inconvenience.

Ok, thanks for your replies. Has anyone tested different types of discs? if so which have you found to be most quiet?

goku21temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^^ pc-backups don´t do that ... my ps2 isn´t noisy either when playing backups .. and a 1on1-copy has the exact same bytes at the exact same spot as the original(it´s streamed while backupping and burning)...

the noises sound like ass and motor often hickups.

it´s not the layout of the disc... it´s the 3x speed and the wii giving the commands to the discdrive too fast..

tlangford

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
goku21temp said:
^^ pc-backups don´t do that ... my ps2 isn´t noisy either when playing backups .. and a 1on1-copy has the exact same bytes at the exact same spot as the original(it´s streamed while backupping and burning)...

the noises sound like ass and motor often hickups.

it´s not the layout of the disc... it´s the 3x speed and the wii giving the commands to the discdrive too fast..

ok so it'll happen whatever disc I use. Shame.

goku21temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
update:

after playing cod5 a good amount of time my drive now has bad sounds and hickups in brawl(original game) and the openingvideo stops randomly with the exact same noises when using heavy loading on backup-launcher...

probably gonna delete everything(wads n stuff) and send it in for repair...

goku21temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tlangford! did you already send your wii in for making it brawl-ready? ( there were some issues on american brawl launch and several people had to send in their wii)

i didn´t ... but my wii worked with brawl from the getgo..

cdreams

Trophies
Website
www.shaunpauljohnston.com
XP
Country
Is the problem the same using Softchip.

I have the noise problems too and it really doesn't sound healthy, I'm worried that my disc drive will die on me or something. Is anyone working on something just now to remedy the disc read speed. I thought the new loaders read at 6x?

Diffusion

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
goku21temp said:
update:

after playing cod5 a good amount of time my drive now has bad sounds and hickups in brawl(original game) and the openingvideo stops randomly with the exact same noises when using heavy loading on backup-launcher...

My Wii is the same way. Except I never used the backup launchers.

Try a game with tons of voice overs. XD Sounds horrible when it's loading the voice clips.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I thought the new loaders read at 6x?
where you hear that? cannot be done....stick to your 3x
smile.gif

QUOTEI have the noise problems too and it really doesn't sound healthy,
it's going to sound extremely bad with COD5 that game requires constant reading,
its the only game ive played thats requires reading like that, maybe svr09 is similar, fifa09 etc, not as bad though... online is quality on the 3
smile.gif
(I'm modded btw i don't use loaders).

colmiak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
goku21temp said:
update:

whoa.. yea James Bond: Quantum of Solace PAL forced to NTSC is giving me a lott of noise on my NTSC wii, none of my other backups do that...
gonna try to find an NTSC Quantum of Solace to see if that helps..

EDIT: so anybody with COD 5, or james bond QOS
do your wii's sound horrible while playing these games too? maybe someone can confirm whether this is normal or not
i might rent one of these later and see if its normal

chaoshawk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's the new launcher. Whenever I play any backup it makes loud noises. Some more than others, but it's always more then usual.

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
well if its an original or backup on modded wii, it sounds perfectly nice, just you can hear it spinning and then stopping for a bit, then re spinning etc... not loud, sounds healthy obviously, not sounding like cccccccc crackle noises, like its having serious struggle trying to read, etc. get what i mean?

WilliamAlanBaile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Come to think of it, earlier I decided to play a DVD movie using Mplayer, it wouldn't work anymore and made some awful churning noises from the drive. I uninstalled dvdx and reinstalled and it worked again, though still sounded like it was struggling to read the disc. Hah I can't remember the last time i put an original disc in my wii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: c