No Virtual Console for Switch on Launch

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Zense, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Zense
    OP

Zense GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    [​IMG]

Update 2: It seems like these games are part of the Arcade Archives made by developer Hamster, co., who have already been releasing emulated games on the PS4. This shows us that this isn't part of VC. I looked further into these games and Hamster have also only been implementing online scoreboards and no online multiplayer in their games. Excuse me for getting anyone's hopes up.

Here's the source.

Update: I just read that the Nintendo Switch in Japan will have Neo Geo games releasing for it in March, which suggests that VC will arrive sooner than we thought.

The games are the following:
    • NEOGEO Metal Slug 3
    • NEOGEO World Heroes Perfect
    • NEOGEO Shock Troops
    • NEOGEO Wakuwaku 7
    • NEOGEO THE KING OF FIGHTERS '98

You can see this for yourself by going to Nintendo of Japan and choosing Switch releases for March (and google translating to English if needed).

The translation gives me that the name of the developer is "Hamster", but that might just be some bad translation going on (after all it's google translate). I was hoping the developer might shed some light on whether this is a port or a virtual console emulation.

I'm curious to see if the multiplayer in these games will have online!

Old post:

We just got confirmation straight from the Big N that VC won't be ready for the launch of the Switch, along with some smaller, but better, news.

Here is the direct quote from Nintendo UK (info regarding VC in bold):

This is not the kind of news we would all want, but hopefully it means that they are working on making a much better experience than before.

However, as many have stated already this should not come as a surprise, since waiting to reveal such a big feature as this until only a week before launch, does not make that much sense anyways.

:arrow:Source

Last edited by Zense, Feb 24, 2017
    Soulsilve2010 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  2. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Eh.. I'd rather eshop games up and running before VC. And we know they are changing some of them up, so I'm HOPING. HOPING that are really working on the emulation. Remember this is a third party making the emulators *the guys who did the NES classic emus*.

Zense likes this.
  3. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    That's okay. I do not care about VC so it will come when time is come. No big deal.

4. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    NERD isn't third party, it's just the European branch of Nintendo Research and Development

Zense likes this.
  5. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Ahh. My mistake about that.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  6. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    You're fine. Either way it doesn't change the fact that they make significantly better emulators than their Japanese counterparts lol

7. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I'm confident @03bgood will be pleased with this news.

Imacaredformy2ds likes this.
  8. Imacaredformy2ds

Imacaredformy2ds Smartass

Banned
    Nov 17, 2016
    Mexico
  9. 03bgood

03bgood Banned

Banned
    Aug 29, 2014
    United States
    Paris, Illinois
    Am I pissed, no? Am I disappointed, yes. We went through this same crap with the 3DS and Wii U, so it was excepted.

Imacaredformy2ds likes this.
  10. Zense
    OP

Zense GBAtemp Regular

Apr 20, 2008
    Italy
    I just updated my post with news regarding VC on the Switch. It seems like we won't be waiting too long in the end.

I wonder if these will have online multiplayer support too?

Last edited by Zense, Feb 24, 2017