no more manual exit in GBA

Discussion in 'Supercard' started by ejaykn, Aug 20, 2010.

Aug 20, 2010

no more manual exit in GBA by ejaykn at 1:34 AM (1,490 Views / 0 Likes) 14 replies

1. ejaykn
    OP

Newcomer ejaykn Member

United States
    Yeah so I had a good session in mario and saved and just turned off the ds, at which point I instantly wanted to punch myself because I knew the save would not be recorded because I did not exit the emulator manually. After turning the ds back on and and booting emulator I noticed that all my progress had been saved.
    Can someone help me confirm that we no longer must exit the emulator manually to record our saves, at least with save states?

2. macgeek417

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    What update? I have to manualy exit to save. Personaly, I just save in-game then do an RTS at the "save complete" window.

3. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    I don't manually exit to save. Take Pokémon FireRed for example. All I do is just save in the game and then turn off my DS. It'll appear in the same place where I saved when I want to play again. It's either that or I use RTS.

4. ejaykn
    OP

Newcomer ejaykn Member

United States
    Hmm. I experimented with Pokemon Fire Red and in order to record the save I had to exit the emulator manually. That test included regular and RTS so I don't know, maybe it's just super mario bros 3. With Mario 3 I don't have to exit manually to record saves, regular or real time. confused.

5. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    Do you have the file called "game_config.txt" in your NDSGBA folder? Because that's what makes Pokémon FireRed save-able.

6. jakeyjake

Member jakeyjake GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I never had a problem, but I hardly use GBA, and I have the came config thingy.

7. ejaykn
    OP

Newcomer ejaykn Member

United States
    Yeah I have the game config file where it's supposed to be. I can save in Fire Red, just I have to actually exit the emulator for it to record the save. If I just save and shut off the system, then the save never happened. Not a big deal, i'm just so confused by this issue. I've read about having to manually exit the emulator for saves to actually be created so I don't get why for mario advance 4 and apparently for some people games just "save" without having to actually exit the gba emulator. Just makes no sence to me.

8. I am r4ymond

Member I am r4ymond PFE

United States
    That's weird, because whenever I save in FireRed and turn off the DS just like that and play again later, the save actually happened.

9. macgeek417

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    Maybe it has to do with the save type? Maybe, for example, EEPROMs save and SRAM doesnt sutomaticly.

10. riverchen

Member riverchen GBAtemp Fan

United States
    So i was playing mario tennis, and i savestated, then i turned off, and it automaticlly resumed when i booted the game.

11. ejaykn
    OP

Newcomer ejaykn Member

United States
    I tested Minish Cap. I can save state and turn it off and the save is recorded.

12. phoenixclaws

Member phoenixclaws GBAtemp Fan

United States
    A save state is not the same as a normal GBA .SAV.

13. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    No, saving as in pressing the Start button and selecting the green "SAVE" button in the corner of the inventory, then shutting off. IIRC, I've never had any game save without hitting the emulator's "Exit" button or selecting another game.

14. macgeek417

Member macgeek417 妁眼のシャナ

United States
    *facepalm*
    Savestates are written to the card instantly, SRAM and EEPROM are only written when you manualy exit

15. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    QFT

My saves never save unless I manually exit it , kinda annoying