Hacking No More Heroes NTSC on PAL with Gamma

Venko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a backup of No More Heroes NTSC which I patched to remove the update and convert to PAL with WiiPatcher. Then I launch it with the latest version of the backup loader (Gamma) but it always appears in black and white. I figured this might be an issue to do with the video output to the TV and looked at the FAQ. Sadly it's also confusing as it has mixed reports of it working or not.

Is there any way that I can get No More Heroes NTSC to work on my PAL console with colour? I didn't want to play the censored version that's available here.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Venko said:
I have a backup of No More Heroes NTSC which I patched to remove the update and convert to PAL with WiiPatcher. Then I launch it with the latest version of the backup loader (Gamma) but it always appears in black and white. I figured this might be an issue to do with the video output to the TV and looked at the FAQ. Sadly it's also confusing as it has mixed reports of it working or not.

Is there any way that I can get No More Heroes NTSC to work on my PAL console with colour? I didn't want to play the censored version that's available here.

Black and white video output means for the, the game is running in NTSC video mode. Try force PAL first(in SoftChip system settings video mode). If this doesn't work, the game is not patched correctly, or it doesn't let itself patch.

Use the Generic Wii Patcher in the future.

Venko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm not sure I understand how the Generic Wii Patcher works (although the executable does run in WINE and thus on top of GNU/Linux). Anyway, I tried Force PAL50 and Force PAL60 but it stayed at the green screen rather than loading. So now I'm trying to burn the game without the update but as NTSC and then try the force PAL50/PAL60 thing again.

Egonny

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Venko said:
I'm not sure I understand how the Generic Wii Patcher works (although the executable does run in WINE and thus on top of GNU/Linux). Anyway, I tried Force PAL50 and Force PAL60 but it stayed at the green screen rather than loading. So now I'm trying to burn the game without the update but as NTSC and then try the force PAL50/PAL60 thing again.
Try patching with WiiFrii v2.3b (including the common-key of course).

Venko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've had no luck whatsoever getting the NTSC No More Heroes to run in PAL format.

So I'm guessing that I may need this cable to replace the black and white I see on my TV with colour. I had a similar problem with imports for the original playstation when I was a kid - I had to use a different cable to get colour video output.

That's what I need for games that are running under NTSC on my PAL Wii, right?

Venko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Haruhi said:
If you TV is compatible with NTSC, run a clean backup in the original video mode. No patching or forcing.

Nah, it's a regular TV so it won't be NTSC compatible (hence the black and white). But, as I understand it, RGB component cables allow foreign formats (NTSC for me, PAL for Americans) to display in colour as oppose to black and white.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Venko said:
Haruhi said:
If you TV is compatible with NTSC, run a clean backup in the original video mode. No patching or forcing.

Nah, it's a regular TV so it won't be NTSC compatible (hence the black and white). But, as I understand it, RGB component cables allow foreign formats (NTSC for me, PAL for Americans) to display in colour as oppose to black and white.

???
With rgb cables you get red & black video playback with NTSC video. rgb cables != component cables

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Haruhi said:
Correct, the scart connector is not used in NTSC regions. Virtually no TVs ever sold here even include a port.

Which connectors do you have?
In europe there a cinch, scart and s-video connectors on sdtvs, while most only have scart. Cinch and s-video cables can be used with a scart connector through an adapter. But you only get s-video image if your tv supports it, or else the video playback is black & white.

The 2cent cables which come with the Wii have a scart adapter included, 1 video + 2 Audio cinch to scart, the image qualtity with that is bad, but it works with NTSC video mode if your tv supports it.
Then there is the rgb cable, which directly has a scart connector, the image quality with this is very good(for a sdtv), but you get red & black video playback on your tv with NTSC video mode, even if your tv supports it. If your tv doesn't support rgb, you get the same result as with the 2 cent cables(i think both signals are enabled on the cables and the tv can select which one to use).
There are component cables too, with connectors for each color too, but i can't say anything about it, i don't have them, and i don't have a hdtv.

I think i read somewhere that NTSC Wiis have s-video instead of rgb, and they use the same ressources for both on the cables. This would explain the issue you get with NTSC playback with rgb cables very good: In rgb the image is splitted in red, green and blue, and with s-video you get only 1 video signal, which results in the complete video signal interpreted as red video signal.

I hope this produces even more confusion when it comes to region free gaming

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
In the US, Wii includes just a plain red/yellow/white cable. S-video and component are the optional types Nintendo supports.

As I was saying. rgb is pretty much unheard of for NTSC. I've never seen a TV with a scart connector in person.

I don't know if an rgb cable works on an NTSC system. You can't buy them in this country without importing.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Haruhi said:
In the US, Wii includes just a plain red/yellow/white cable. S-video and component are the optional types Nintendo supports.

As I was saying. rgb is pretty much unheard of for NTSC. I've never seen a TV with a scart connector in person.

I don't know if an rgb cable works on an NTSC system. You can't buy them in this country without importing.

Lol, and i can't buy a s-video cable, but i know that my tvs support it. I don't understand why nintendo puts money in making this complicated. The regular cabe(highest compatibility) and the component cable(for best quality) seem to be the same. Why develop 2 different standards between them, this only cost money.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
DKAngel said:
if your tv doesnt support ntsc then your out of luck, most pal tvs usually do, well i know in australia almost every tv sold here has ntsc support

My tv does, it's rgb not being compatible with NTSC. And it really does make a difference if i use the 2cent cable or the rgb cable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-