No micro SD Cards Work in Wii U: Write Protected.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by KillzXGaming, Jun 14, 2016.

1. KillzXGaming
    OP

KillzXGaming GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    I've tried a 32gb one i used for my wii u and say's it is write protected. Tried one from my phone, same thing. Now i just bought one at best buy, 64gb, not touched at all, formatted to fat32 and still same thing. I'm testing Mii Maker by saving a QR code and loadiine. All pins are properly placed, not moved and didn't even touch the pin of my new one. Using 3 separate micro sd adapters too. PC has no problem reading and writing to my sd cards. Also normal SD Cards work with wii U.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by KillzXGaming, Jun 14, 2016

2. jc5504

jc5504 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2015
    United States
    On your SD card adapter there should be a little slider on the left side that says lock. You can move slider down to lock and up to unlock. If it is locked, the SD is protected and cannot be written. Make sure the slider is on the top so it isnt locked.

3. KillzXGaming
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    It isn't locked. PC reads and writes it fine. Haven't even touched it.

4. Robman2122

Robman2122 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    That's definitely odd. I've used a 32GB SanDisk microSD card plenty of times in mine before without issue. Only time I've ever had any problems with it in general was when I was using a cheap adapter. What firmware version are you on?

5. KillzXGaming
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    wii u 5.5.1.

6. jc5504

jc5504 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2015
    United States
    Did you format using 64kb clusters? If theres no option for 64kb, use the 8192 bytes cluster. They are the same.

Also, maybe you could try running smash with the sd card in the wii u. Smash will make a screenshot folder in your sd card (after you authorize it).

7. KillzXGaming
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    yup. With these settings.

[​IMG]

8. Robman2122

Robman2122 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 14, 2015
    United States
    try using the program "SDFormatter". Sometimes the windows utility doesn't quite get it right and messes them up.

9. KillzXGaming
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
  10. jc5504

jc5504 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2015
    United States
    This is a last resort, but when formatting, you could check the "full overwrite" button. This will rewrite every bit as 0 and is a true clean slate. It just takes a while though.

11. KillzXGaming
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    That formatted back to exfat and no longer reads on the wii u.

Card is brand new, doubt that'll fix it.

12. jc5504

jc5504 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2015
    United States
    Yes, but if it was previously NTFS or another format, those bits are still hanging around somewhere (even though they're deactivated).
    Also, is it possible the slot was damaged recently? Have you used a normal SD card on the wii U at all during this process? I know you used them in the past, but I dont know how long ago.

13. KillzXGaming
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    i have one right now and works fine. Just a very slow one though thats 32gb and fairly fast 4gb one.

14. jc5504

jc5504 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 14, 2015
    United States
    How are you writing content onto the micro SD? Are you using the adapter with your PC, or does your PC have a micro SD slot?

If formatting like I said doesn't work, then the only thing left that could be wrong is the adapter. If you are writing directly to the micro SD, it is possible the adapter is damaged and cant be used at all. If you are writing to the micro SD using the adapter in your PC, then perhaps the adapter was damaged while inside your PC. Perhaps something got misshapen, and it only works with you PC now. That last scenario is less likely, but still possible.

Touko White and Subtle Demise like this.
  15. KillzXGaming
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    The adapter works fine with SD Cards so it isn't that. Micro sd cards fine for 3ds and everything too but not wii u. Weird. Maybe the wii u sd port is damaged and doesn't accept micro sd cards to write to it, but only read, and normal sd cards work fine. IDK this is so stupid.

16. Coolsonickirby

Coolsonickirby GBAtemp Regular

Dec 6, 2015
    United States
    Try Using RMPrepUSB, They Have A 'Clean Read-Only' Option.

Just Make Sure You select 'Show All Drives'

I used this before and it worked for me

17. KillzXGaming
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    can you show me where to check that, can't find it. NVM got it.

Last edited by KillzXGaming, Jun 14, 2016
  18. 05sonicblue

05sonicblue GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    I've had this problem in the past and it was always a faulty adapter. I used a different one and it worked fine.

19. KillzXGaming
    OP

Jan 2, 2016
    United States
    Well that didn't work. Which adapters work properly? Odd how the 3 i have all don't work.

20. 05sonicblue

05sonicblue GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2016
    United States
    I always use the sandisk one that comes with my Sandisk MicroSD cards that I buy. That is the only brand that I will buy and have never had an issue in my O3DS, N3DS, vWii, or WiiU