Nintendo's servers getting HAMMERED

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Deltaechoe, Nov 18, 2012.

Nov 18, 2012
  1. Deltaechoe
    OP

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    Just a warning for those who have purchased a Wii U already, you will be met with a system update and it will take an effing long time to go through (as of the time of this post at least). Most likely due to the fact that everyone and their mother (actually it's probably a lot of mothers) are downloading the same update causing an unintentional DDOS of Nintendo's systems

2. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Most day ones on, well, anything online is miserable. MMOs, consoles, games, etc are all meh.

As much as you may hate it, it's worth waiting a day to update. I think you can still play the games offline until then.

3. dgwillia

Member dgwillia The Bacon Lover

United States
    I think I managed to get my update in just in time, took me about an hour to do mine. Though almost every online app I try to touch outside of the E-Shop gives me errors

10_0ARMY likes this.
  4. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    The situation in a nutshell.

5. Fear Zoa

Member Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

United States
    As guild said this happens pretty much every time anything launches that involves servers. You either attempt to download during the shitstorm or wait it out and download when things are stable.

6. Deltaechoe
    OP

Member Deltaechoe The Dopefish

United States
    I already got my update data and now I'm staring at the update screen. It's just flashing whatever it needs to flash at this point so I should be up and running in a few minutes

Also I know this happens, I'm not new to networking, I was just making this post for people who don't know that an insanely hyped online service is going to have trouble when everyone decides to try and use it at the same time. Bandwidth is finite, it's like when a building opens with one door and 500 people trying to squeeze into that single door all at the same time

7. 10_0ARMY

Member 10_0ARMY THE *Original* 1 Man Army

United States
    I guess I was lucky to get my update before the flood of traffic ensued. Now my Blops Deuce is stuck in emblem editor lol.

8. Rockym

Member Rockym GBAtemp Regular

United States
    No you can't. As soon as I turned mine on this morning and configured network settings, it immediately prompted for the update. I didn't see anything where I could skip it. However, it didn't take me hours at all, only about 30-45 minutes.

9. Midna

Banned Midna Banned

Albania
    If you do not connect to the internet is does not ask to update. You can still use offline functions if you are, well, actually offline.

Guild McCommunist likes this.
  10. Rockym

Member Rockym GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Oh ok. I just went and configured the network so that explains it.

11. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    lol, I keep getting error 105 4206 when I try to update even though the wifi connectin is working fine. Must be the overloaded server.

Too late for snail. Guess I'll have to wait till late tonight to download my WiiU OS :P