Nintendo's Conference at E3 2008?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Costello, Jul 16, 2008.

?

Nintendo's Conference at E3 2008?

1. Great stuff! That was awesome!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Hm, 'twas a bit meh overall.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. This was a disappointment.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. LAMEST CONFERENCE EVER!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Didn't watch it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Jul 16, 2008
  1. Costello
    OP

Administrator Costello Headmaster

What's your opinion on Nintendo's Press Conference at E3 2008?

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    *switches skin to V3*

It sucked.

*switches skin back to Lite*

I'm not that in to Animal Crossing, and the two new peripherals for the Wii are just Nintendo's way of saying, "Money money money!"

3. Puxel

Member Puxel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Animal Crossing Wii was all I needed. The Microphone Wii Music and new Wii Sports are icing on the cake. It was mostly just Reggie stroking his e-penis over the sales statistics, but as long as we get something.

Microsoft won.

4. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Incredibly boring public speaking from everyone, not just Nintendo execs. I just kept wishing that damned woman would move out of slow motion and scrap the cheezy smile.

And it didn't seem like they announced anything. Just sales figures - which are important, I realize, for such a conference, but it seemed like they threw the presentation together last week.

Reggie "Oh shit, E3 is coming next week, what are we gonna talk about?"
    Underling "I'll come up with something for you to BS about for an hour. Just talk REAL SLOW."

*yawn*

Especially since the only major announcement, the Wii Remote Plus, was made yesterday... lame.

Oh, and I for one was not expecting a new major Zelda, Mario or Metroid title. Too early in the cycle for any of those three. I want to know where the Kid Icarus hype started though...

5. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Your easily pleased. I played the hell out of my DS animal crossing so I'm desperate for a new one. Everything else sucked really. Its pretty sad that a lot of us are excited for Wii speak when in reality its a poor excuse for vocal communication. Nintendo has starved us of communication so much that we actually like this.

6. Puxel

Member Puxel GBAtemp Regular

United States

I own a 360. I'm set.

7. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    I thought it was absolutely horrendous. Lets start from the beginning... there was no flash at all. Microsoft and Sony had LCD screens all over the place, crazy lighting, musical guests, and even a few well-timed surprises. Nintendo, however, acted like it was just another board meeting. Then to make matters worse they pranced out some silly soccer mom. Now, I'm not exactly a fan of Reggie, I think he's quite creepy and smarmy, but this woman was like a recruitment poster for the Stepford Wives. At At least with some flash I would have been distracted from how bad the reveals were. However, that's all just the presentational details; it gets worse from here on out.

Getting into the actual reveals, it was an even bigger disappointment. Stuff for the hardcore? Pfft, suuuure, if by "the hardcore" you mean the casual Animal Crossing fans. Most of the things they "revealed" we had known about for ages. The only surprise of the show was Grand Theft Auto for the DS, which, if Grand Theft Auto Advance is any indication won't be all that "hardcore". It was a lame offering aimed at the casual market, who, for the record, don't even watch E3 press conferences, so who the heck was that so-called "show" for? Not me, certainly.

I think it was a poor offering to an otherwise spectacular E3 (for me, at least). It was both a disappointment and a bit of a relief. The fact that they have no immediate plans for hot new Wii games means I can focus my money towards an Xbox 360 for a little while. However, I must say that while the show was poor, I think the overreactions of people selling their Wiis over it is a bit extreme. Just because they don't have much 1st party content this year (Mad World looks great) doesn't mean they won't in early 2009+.

8. dinofan01

United States
    Yeah me too. I was watching their press conference yesterday and I was like "Those are some good games. Too bad I cant buy them because I need to buy Animal Crossing, Icarus, and Punch Out." Yeah well my big noisy console next to my Wii will get a lot of play time in the future.

9. Defiance

Member Defiance oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...

United States
    Where do you watch the conference? The way I've heard about it on GBAtemp, it was a disappointment.

10. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Youtube, or a big gaming site like Gamespot or IGN.

11. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    I don't think it was bad.. but it was not good either..

I think there was a too big hype caused by the media with rumors of a new Zelda, Punch out and a new DS.. So, there was a big disappointment since none of those were actually showed [​IMG]

Now, I'm pleased with the announcement of a GTA DS. The Wiimaxpluswhatever thing showed that it has more potential than I was expecting and we can expect some good stuff to be done with it in the future.. WiiSports is already looking nice with that..
    I'm not a big fan of Animal Crossing, but the microphone thing is a good move.. hope other games can take advantage of it (like The Conduit!)

12. dinofan01

United States
    IGN was the best as far as im concerned. Good quality and smooth framerate. God G4 was horrible.

13. phantastic91

Member phantastic91 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    animal crossing was a huge disappointment its exactly the same game with voice chat. the hands on from ign makes me worry more. no motion control? O_O.

and i said this before. i hate that smiling witch in the conference. [​IMG]

wiimusic is a wagglefest. i thought at first that you actually hit the drums in 3d space but its all waggle! ahhhh

14. Doomsday Forte

Member Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I didn't watch it. And with good reason since it seems that my impossible dreams would have been shattered if I were to have watched it! ;_;

Sigh. If I knew Japanese, I'd not care about E3 and just watch the Tokyo Game Show since that one actually matters. At least with me as I am now, I can just not care about E3. =P

15. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    nothing to exciting

16. deathfisaro

Member deathfisaro Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan

Canada
    It was disappointing that they didn't show many games.
    Guitar Hero is now officially being mass produced, can't hype with that. GTA teaser trailer would have been nice.

They spent too much time showing Wii Sports Resort and Wii Music.
    And what's stranger than their music keep playing after they stopped performing? Were they wiimote-syncing?

The conference was so like "We are targetting woman, people who like gimmicks and not care about "game"play, and people who don't bother watching our conference"

There are tons of games that are coming out for Wii and DS that'd appeal to public. Instead they made fools out of presenters and showcased "gimmicky" games.

Okay, so people buy your gimmick games because people need the new controller add-ons and such. Not so many people buy Wii Sports because it looks so much more fun than Mario, Zelda, Metroid, SSB combined.

17. dinofan01

United States
    I know. Did you see the lame ass drummer dud still playing even when his character wasn't on screen.

18. Ace Gunman

Former Staff Ace Gunman ~••Lucky҉Shot••~

Canada
    I have to make an additional comment, this has been driving me nuts. Wii Music is the worst thing I've ever seen. Now, don't get the wrong idea, Wii Sports is fun, Wii Play is probably too, Wii Sports Resort looks nice also, but do you know what all of those have in common? They're GAMES. Wii Music is nothing, it's not a game, there are no high scores or note matching. It's just an excuse to flail around looking silly. And I know a lot of people say that about the Wii in general, but I've never thought so until this game.

There is no challenge involved in this title, it's just a straightforward simulation of "real" instruments. Here's the thing though, it doesn't look like a real instrument, it doesn't play like a real instrument, it doesn't sound like a real instrument, and it's still got a massive learning curve. You still have to learn this game just like you would a real instrument. If you notice, even the people playing it at the show couldn't do it well, and they MADE IT. So it's not a game, it's not an accurate simulation, and it's just as difficult to learn.

This is the first time I've had to say this and I must state that I don't feel this way about Guitar Hero or Rock Band (etc). Those two are GAMES, there's still scores to hit, music to match, tracks to unlock, achievements to be found, and so on. With Wii Music though? You might as well learn a real instrument. This game is like the toy xylophone you give an infant. It's a pointless inaccurate recreation of the real thing that's just has hard to get the hang of and will only succeed in making your ears bleed when you attempt to create "music".

Miyamoto shouldn't be working on this. This is utter crap. Other music games aren't about making music, they're about imitating it. With Wii Music, if you're so inclined to create "beautiful music" you might as well go and learn the actual flute, or drums, etc.

19. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    TO SUM IT UP:

meh

20. link459

Member link459 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    To me, this year's conference was like a giant FUCK YOU from Nintendo.