Hacking Nintendont

sharkticonnz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hi all sorry if its been covered before. Im using wiiflow lite on wii u (vwii) running nintendont through it. I is possible when exiting a gamecube game to exit to wiiflow instead of the vwii menu?

cueropedo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, just a suggestion, someone should update Nintendont so you can change the settings without the need to launch a game, it's pretty annoying when you have made Wii U VC Injections for GameCube and don't use the USB/SD in vWii.

Also, Wii U GamePad doesn't seem to work anymore on my games when I use said injection, not sure if someone has the same problem, or can help me, thanks.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Hi, just a suggestion, someone should update Nintendont so you can change the settings without the need to launch a game, it's pretty annoying when you have made Wii U VC Injections for GameCube and don't use the USB/SD in vWii.

Also, Wii U GamePad doesn't seem to work anymore on my games when I use said injection, not sure if someone has the same problem, or can help me, thanks.
cant be done it would be a huge update, nintendont has no graphic interface so once the games are running there is not graphic stuff to pull from, since nintendont itself doesnt have any graphic controll at all, so you would need to write one from scratch.

Make sure you are on latest nintendont for the gamepad to work latest is 498 also
the wiiu gamepad will be player 1 if no hid is connected to usb ports, if an hid is connected to usb ports wiiugamepad goes to player 2, so if you have 498 and gamepad doesnt work it means you have a usb controller connected and gamepad is player 2

Reactions: grimson

cueropedo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant be done it would be a huge update, nintendont has no graphic interface so once the games are running there is not graphic stuff to pull from, since nintendont itself doesnt have any graphic controll at all, so you would need to write one from scratch.

Make sure you are on latest nintendont for the gamepad to work latest is 498 also
the wiiu gamepad will be player 1 if no hid is connected to usb ports, if an hid is connected to usb ports wiiugamepad goes to player 2, so if you have 498 and gamepad doesnt work it means you have a usb controller connected and gamepad is player 2

Hard to believe such a simple change would require that big amount of work, but oh well.

Anyway, I fixed my problem, it looks like my nincfg went corrupt or something like that, I made another and now it's working fine, not sure how it went corrupt though.

Maybe easier to build a program that let you build the nincfg file on your PC, it's easier that having to swap SD Cards and install a GC just to change Nintendont settings.

Also the updater seems broken.

Thanks for the help!

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

A better suggestion (if it hasn't been done in a latest version I missed) is to allow Nintendont to take loader arguments in Wii VC mode. Both the latest Homebrew Channel and most loaders support Wii VC now.

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make sure you are on latest nintendont for the gamepad to work latest is 498

How do you update Nintendont, exactly? I downloaded the latest loader.dol and renamed it to boot.dol and overwrote it on my sd card. It still says it's version 6.489 from Oct 2019. The "Update Nintendont" option doesn't seem to do anything and trying the other update menu entries crash my Wii U so hard I have to pull the power cable.

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess the version number isn’t being updated properly. The link I gave is from 13 days ago.

EDIT: According to the NintendontVersion.h the version should display 6.498.

Could it have something to do with the forwarder I'm using? I wouldn't think that would be an issue but it's the only thing I can think of.

cugel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try loading Nintendont directly from the Wii Homebrew Channel.

I had a different forwarder I was using previously and using that fixed the issue. I guess the forwarder I was using has an old version of Nintendont built into it, I had no idea that was possible.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess the version number isn’t being updated properly. The link I gave is from 13 days ago.

EDIT: According to the NintendontVersion.h the version should display 6.498.

I just tested it about thirty minutes ago. that's what mine says:

upload_2021-9-18_8-43-53.png

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

nm, looks like he fixed it.

KungBore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Great news for Starfox fans!

The deflicker filter can be properly disabled by patching the game's Start.dol.

Steps:
1. Use GCRebuilder to extract SystemData/Start.dol from the game's ISO
2. Open Start.dol in a hex editor (eg. HxD)
3. Change the string 07070C0C0C0707 at offset 0x333894 to 00001516150000
4. Import the modified Start.dol back into the ISO (right click start.dol > import...)
5. 'Save changes'

It's also recommended to set Nintendont video width to Auto for this game, otherwise it seems to glitch and offsets the raster to one side, cropping some pixels.

However that may be fixable by patching the video mode structure in Start.dol to the desired width, but the geometry seems okay at Auto width so I haven't bothered with that yet.

Note this is for the NTSC version of the game; I am not sure if the PAL version uses a different vfilter than 07070C0C0C0707.

Interestingly, 07070C0C0C0707 is the same vfilter used by Mario Kart Wii.

edit: just to clarify with Starfox Adventures, when you first load the game, Nintendont correctly patches the vfilter out, and the main menu looks crystal clear. However loading a save game re-instates it, and exiting out to the main menu reveals the filter is now in effect. Thus, patching is necessary for this game.

edit2: after trying to modify video mode section to adjust the video width, I had no luck. I speculate Rare are setting the video width programatically which obfuscates the values in the hex data. It is possible to observe this as when the game initially launches it obeys our custom viWidth setting, but then at the main menu the width abruptly changes to 660. This is consistent with Extrems data for external resolution of 660, and my own observation using tape on my screen to match the width in the Nintendont menu when set to 660. So with a 480p output we end up with a 2.2% horizontally squished image since width should be 676 for 480p due to the 2.2% narrower pixels of 480p vs 480i which Nintendo's video interface is not compensating for. 2.2% is not the end of the world though :)
Does this fix work for Soul Calibur 2?

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yes, but it disables the fading to black effect when going through different screens. Not realiy much of an issue considering the increase in picture quality.

On the deflicker thread I talked about it with Nooblet Cheese, but I do not remember which page.

Reactions: KungBore

KungBore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes, but it disables the fading to black effect when going through different screens. Not realiy much of an issue considering the increase in picture quality.

On the deflicker thread I talked about it with Nooblet Cheese, but I do not remember which page.
Oh, that's interesting. Would you happen to know why disabling it in Dolphin doesn't affect the fading effects, and in real hardware, it does?
https://ppltoast.wordpress.com/2018/05/11/a-small-look-into-the-gamecubes-copy-filter/

I've tested disabling the Copy Filter in Dolphin and the fading effects work fine.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this fix work for Soul Calibur 2?

Unfortunately not, it needs the GXSetCopyFilter patch -- https://gbatemp.net/threads/possibl...de-flicker-filter.477163/page-10#post-9492091

And as MaeseJesus mentioned you will lose the screen fade effects in the menus which feels a bit weird.

For reference here were all the discoveries in that thread
https://gbatemp.net/threads/possibl...de-flicker-filter.477163/page-20#post-9514246

Oh, that's interesting. Would you happen to know why disabling it in Dolphin doesn't affect the fading effects, and in real hardware, it does?

At first I thought Dolphin was just removing the blending coefficients by setting them to 0's
eg. 08 08 0A 0C 0A 08 08 --> 00 00 0A 0C 0A 00 00.

But this would result in a 50% darker image
00+00+0A+0C+0A+00+00 = 0x20 ; 08+08+0A+0C+0A+08+08 = 0x40

I think Extrem's explanation is correct -- Dolphin must take the sum of all 7 vfilter coefficients, divide by 3 and set middle 3 to that value (middle 3 control brightness, first 2 control blend with above pixel, last 2 with below pixel).

Last edited by NoobletCheese,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Just 6 but dual band 6 lol