Hacking Nintendont

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bluetooth is not yet supported, so you have to connect it through the usb port. You must also put the PS3 controller ini (renamed to controller.ini) in the root of the device where you have your games.

Thanks for the info. Is bluetooth communication with such controllers an ultimate goal? I wouldn't even ask such a thing if it weren't for things like Devolution supporting such things. Really it baffles my mind that a Wii or WiiU can communicate with PS controllers at all (that is of course without one of those adapters connecting that kind of controller through a GC slot or Wiimote).

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lol, i meant the u-stealth part, because something does not add up.

U-stealth is a windows program that changes the the header of the hdd a bit so wii u does not prompt you to format it. It does not even recognize it i think.

Anyway, what i am trying to say is that you also need modified software to read the drive correctly, afaik. Vwii homebrew does not have the modification except a few usb loaders.
I know OverjoY didn't add it and i doubt anyone else did.

So i can't see nintendont working when you used u-stealth at this point.

faku1810

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks for the info. Is bluetooth communication with such controllers an ultimate goal? I wouldn't even ask such a thing if it weren't for things like Devolution supporting such things. Really it baffles my mind that a Wii or WiiU can communicate with PS controllers at all (that is of course without one of those adapters connecting that kind of controller through a GC slot or Wiimote).

I may be a bit naive but i think there's not much surprise in the fact that you can use different bluetooth controllers with a console that relies natively on bluetooth for the use of wiimotes, as long as there's software that makes it possible. You can use real wiimotes in a computer to play in dolphin, for example.

And to answer your question, I thought i read someone else mention it would be worked on, but I honestly don't know how much importance they'll give to it. Personally, I think having usb support for several gamepads is great enough, even if some people would prefer a wireless experience.

iwantpizza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, i meant the u-stealth part, because something does not add up.

U-stealth is a windows program that changes the the header of the hdd a bit so wii u does not prompt you to format it. It does not even recognize it i think.

Anyway, what i am trying to say is that you also need modified software to read the drive correctly, afaik. Vwii homebrew does not have the modification except a few usb loaders.

I see what you mean. No I have not tried u-stealth on vWii, as far as I know there's only a hand full of apps that are supporting u-stealth. In addition, by doing a direct vWii boot (hold B while booting WiiU) it by passes the problem WiiU menu has with FAT/NTFS drives. You can even perform it with a Wiimote.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Stealth support is already added into nintendont
though, it's checking it on FAT partition signature too (which is unneeded, but doesn't have any effect if present).
UStealth doesn't change partition's signature, only the boot record's signature.

kernel/ff.c
MBR: line 1995
FAT: Line 2157

I don't know how the LD_WORD address is used, but shouldn't it be 0xAB55 instead of 0xBA55?
To stealth the drive, the MBR signature is changed from 0x55AA to 0x55AB.

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Aww, sorry ppl, i guess OJ doesn't tell me everything, last time we talked about it, Ustealth support wasn't in yet.

EDIT: *Cyan: got word now from him, he says he added it but did not test it yet *remember it being a not yet suppost to leak project?*

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Aww, sorry ppl, i guess OJ doesn't tell me everything, last time we talked about it, Ustealth support wasn't in yet.

EDIT: *Cyan: got word now from him, he says he added it but did not test it yet *remember it being a not yet suppost to leak project?*

So, UStealth works by "hiding" the master boot record on the HDD correct? I might need to try this out :D

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the google code page: This utility hides or un-hides partitions on removable media by re-writing the boot signature from the standard 55-AA to 55-AB.

Not to sound paranoid, but, this doesn't really do anything to the data per se, correct? Would it be prudent to backup the data as a precaution before using this program?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Stealth support is already added into nintendont
though, it's checking it on FAT partition signature too (which is unneeded, but doesn't have any effect if present).
UStealth doesn't change partition's signature, only the boot record's signature.

kernel/ff.c
MBR: line 1995
FAT: Line 2157

I don't know how the LD_WORD address is used, but shouldn't it be 0xAB55 instead of 0xBA55?
To stealth the drive, the MBR signature is changed from 0x55AA to 0x55AB.

ok, the kernel, yes, but the loader is just using fatInitDefault()
... I'll go check again bit it seemed to be giving me a no FAT device found error last time I checked.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
fat.c is not in libogc sources? I didn't find it.
compiled sources have fat.h and libfat.a though.
to support modified MBR signature, I guess we need to edit libfat sources if fatInit() is checking the signature.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
ok, the kernel, yes, but the loader is just using fatInitDefault()
... I'll go check again bit it seemed to be giving me a no FAT device found error last time I checked.

confirmed, toggling hidden state makes it visible and visa versa

EDIT : Cyan you could always use something a little more specific for the mounting code like what nSwitch uses
( signature check specifically coded here https://code.google.com/p/gbadev/source/browse/source/main.c?repo=nswitch#96 )
although that way you'd have to use sd: or usb: so paths like /nincfg.bin would have to be specified as usb:/nincfg.bin or sd:/nincfg.bin (or you could just have that written to some memory location instead of storage)

Shiranui-san

Trophies
XP
Country
I've been testing Nintendont r44 in my Wii with some PAL games off USB. Appart from memory card issues (not recognised), games that are multi5 like Paper Mario Thousand Years Door, always boot in English and it seems it is not possible to change it since there is no language selector.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
USBGX has language selector, but I think it never worked with nintendont.
I set the language in the settings and in sram, but nintendont doesn't use that setting (I thought the sram was enough for the game to use it, like with DML).
r42+ doesn't work yet. I updated the sources but didn't compiled/tested it yet.
If I update, older revision won't work anymore. Maybe I'll add a version selector if users need to test/swap old revisions and newer revisions often.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Cool.