Hacking Nintendont

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One runs on a system with more resources and different inputs available while the other runs on the system with less resources and the original inputs available.
Er...
Kind of. vWii can take advantage of 3 cores, but at the Wii clockrate. Other than that they're the same, which is why I gave the example of Devolution being able to implement extra controller functionality on a normal Wii.
I don't think nintendon't is using the three cores.

So it's not that he's specifically going to develop multiple versions just to spite you or anything, it's already going to be that way.
...yeah I definitely think you did read my post wrong. I've taken out the second part of the sentence to make the first part clearer.
Err... so are you saying that there'd be a reason for Crediar to make 4 separate versions?
I was asking about the reasoning behind having 4 separate versions.

Not necessarily. Remember crediar splitting DML and DM in two versions because there is not enough RAM for both versions in one file. You could possibly include both versions in one file with more work, but why bother doing this and risking bugs and broken features as a result?
I did say arguable, not that it actually is or isn't. :P

Reactions: tmv_josue

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From twitter, on the top of page 8...
"Wii version will ONLY support the gamecube controller and only 1:1 button mapping"

Whereas the remappable version appears to be for the U.

I count 2, not four.
That's AT LEAST two. A previous post in this thread stated that there would also be separate versions for USB and SD for both platforms, making the total 4, and suggesting that already having 4 versions was the reason why there's no USB controller support for the Family Wii since that would supposedly require two more versions (SD & USB) for normal Wii systems with USB controller support, which is why I questioned the purpose of having separate individual versions in the first place.

And FYI, that tweet of Crediar's was in response to my own tweet - which I previously posted and quoted in this very thread.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
That's AT LEAST two. A previous post in this thread stated that there would also be separate versions for USB and SD for both platforms, making the total 4, and suggesting that already having 4 versions was the reason why there's no USB controller support for the Family Wii since that would supposedly require two more versions (SD & USB) for normal Wii systems with USB controller support, which is why I questioned the purpose of having separate individual versions in the first place.

And FYI, that tweet of Crediar's was in response to my own tweet - which I previously posted and quoted in this very thread.
Ah, didn't remember USB and SD would be split here, I know it is in DM/L since that's a MIOS.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
He said that it isn't that easy to support both GC-Pads and USB-controller. So he had to decide between this two options and chose to only support GC-Pads. Nonetheless he said that it is one of his goals to support both controls in the Wii-version, but this issue has rather low priority to him. So it will take some time before he tries to implement it.
I also asked if he could make two Wii-versions, one with GC-support, one with USB-support. Because it's just a homebrew app it would be possible to have both versions on the Wii. But he answered that he has already four version (WiiU USB, WiiU SD, Wii USB, Wii SD) and don't want to make more.

So it seems that owners of Family edition Wiis need to have patience.
LOL the answer is a bit silly compared to what I expected.

Not necessarily. Remember crediar splitting DML and DM in two versions because there is not enough RAM for both versions in one file. You could possibly include both versions in one file with more work, but why bother doing this and risking bugs and broken features as a result?
You can not compare DM(L) with this, nintendon't has the same resources as Devo.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Protip: Don't put two lines of text below an actual line at the bottom of your post - it makes those two lines of text look like a signature and people may skip right over it mistaking it for a signature (I did).

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
sabykos I think more people are interested in having USB control support than load from SD.
You should do a poll on what people prefer to see the results and maybe crediar could be based on that to make the most requested versions.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sabykos I think more people are interested in having USB control support than load from SD.
Especially considering that a 2GB SD card is the largest you can use without worrying about whether a game or something supports SDHC or not, and you certainly can't fit a whole lot of GameCube games on 2GB... (even when trimmed and/or compressed)

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does sd loading have a really relevant advantage in speed compared with usb? (using DM as a reference, for exemple..)
In theory if you have a really fast high-end SD card it could have faster read speeds than what USB 2.0 could manage. However AFAIK USB hard drives and thumb drives typically have faster read speeds.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yes, I think many people with Wiis without gc support prefer play with usb controllers than having a useless app.

As crediar has told us SD cards usually have a very fast access time compared to HDDs, but I think is indistinguishable by the average users, so I think isn't a valid argument for choose it, well maybe whit QF is better but for DM for example I don't think so and for nintend't less yet.

sabykos

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Especially considering that a 2GB SD card is the largest you can use without worrying about whether a game or something supports SDHC or not, and you certainly can't fit a whole lot of GameCube games on 2GB... (even when trimmed and/or compressed)

How many games do you count, which doesn't support SDHC? I only count Brawl. And there the SD is only used for backing up videos.

You should do a poll on what people prefer to see the results and maybe crediar could be based on that to make the most requested versions.

I could so that, but I won't. crediar already started working on the SD version and it would be stupid to stop it now. And by the way: You have 4 USB-Ports on WiiU, the SD-version could be able to handle 4-Player-games some day. With the USB-version one USB would be occupied by the HDD.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As crediar has told us SD cards usually have a very fast access time compared to HDDs, but I think is indistinguishable by the average users
It's flash memory that has much faster access times than mechanical hard drives, not just SD cards. That means it applies to USB thumb drives as well as computer SSDs and the Wii and Wii U's built in NAND. However, access times are NOT read speeds. To use an analogy, read speeds are like your internet bandwidth while access time is like your internet latency and ping.

How many games do you count, which doesn't support SDHC? I only count Brawl. And there the SD is only used for backing up videos.
There's an absolute TON of custom content and modifications for Brawl, all of which requires either direct ISO modding or using an SD card + ocarina or riivolution. However, the actual game-engine modifications (like Brawl Minus and Project M) flat-out require an SD card + ocarina or riivolution.

Also Excite Truck used the SD card for custom music - something it sorely needs since, unlike ExciteBots, the music is pretty generic.

You have 4 USB-Ports on WiiU, the SD-version could be able to handle 4-Player-games some day. With the USB-version one USB would be occupied by the HDD.
Or, ya know, he could support USB hubs. ;P

Reactions: Rydian

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I wonder if I'll be able to use my isos from DM or will I have to re rip?
They must work without any problem.
I personally don't know if DM-optimized ISOs have some kind of crazy voodoo done to them to make them work with DM, but if said ISOs work on the Dolphin emulator then most likely they'll work fine.
No, is a regular compression like other tools does.
I could so that, but I won't. crediar already started working on the SD version and it would be stupid to stop it now. And by the way: You have 4 USB-Ports on WiiU, the SD-version could be able to handle 4-Player-games some day. With the USB-version one USB would be occupied by the HDD.
IOS support USB HUBs.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It's flash memory that has much faster access times than mechanical hard drives, not just SD cards. That means it applies to USB thumb drives as well as computer SSDs and the Wii and Wii U's built in NAND. However, access times are NOT read speeds. To use an analogy, read speeds are like your internet bandwidth while access time is like your internet latency and ping.
I know but think about why QF work better with SD cards than HDDs.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I know is because they are flash memories.
But I was talking about that the majority of people have regular HDDs.
Honestly I'd say more people have USB thumb drives than external USB hard drives. Remember, an untrimmed/uncompressed GameCube game is "only" 1.35GB, and 16GB flash drives nowadays are under $10.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Please click all suspicious links sent your email