Hacking Homebrew Nintendont will not save settings.

Kevbo

Professional Dumbass
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to change a few settings on Nintendont like Force Widescreen, force PAL60 stuff like that but whenever I exit it won't save my settings. It's strange because it will save my game progress but not my Nintendont settings.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to change a few settings on Nintendont like Force Widescreen, force PAL60 stuff like that but whenever I exit it won't save my settings. It's strange because it will save my game progress but not my Nintendont settings.
Had the exact same problem for a while then it just corrected itself. Not sure why it happened or why it fixed itself lol.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
nintendont only saves settings if you start a game for isntance if you are seeing nintendont menu you ppress x/1 to go to settings , change what you want and press x/1 to go back, then without exiting nintendont just start a game from the menu list, only then will nintendont save the settings.

Kevbo

Professional Dumbass
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nintendont only saves settings if you start a game for isntance if you are seeing nintendont menu you ppress x/1 to go to settings , change what you want and press x/1 to go back, then without exiting nintendont just start a game from the menu list, only then will nintendont save the settings.
My issue was I was launching them from the Wii U menu using Wii U usb helpers injection tool instead of just launching it through vWii.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So... is this a problem, then? Should we be launching GC titles via vWii? :unsure:
No. Just have a small (stripped, IIRC Animal Crossing was just a few MB) ISO on your SD card and change Nintendont settings from vWii. The settings will be used by titles launched via Wii U menu, too.

//EDIT: Stripped means: Normally GCN ISOs are padded with zeros, so they are all the same size. Nintendont doesn't care about this padding through, so you can just cut it off. There are tools automating this process available.

//EDIT²: According to Vimm's Lair Animal Crossing is around 14 MB, so really not much wasted space on the SD card.

Last edited by V10lator,

Willicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No. Just have a small (stripped, IIRC Animal Crossing was just a few MB) ISO on your SD card and change Nintendont settings from vWii. The settings will be used by titles launched via Wii U menu, too.

//EDIT: Stripped means: Normally GCN ISOs are padded with zeros, so they are all the same size. Nintendont doesn't care about this padding through, so you can just cut it off. There are tools automating this process available.

//EDIT²: According to Vimm's Lair Animal Crossing is around 14 MB, so really not much wasted space on the SD card.

Thanks for this info. Do you have to have your vWii running homebrew for this to work? If so, I'd rather not go down this route tbh (unless it's absolutely necessary)

Also, I've been informed that running Nintendont via a forwarder will allow changing of settings from there, without having to access the vWii at all. I'll most likely explore this option first (although, I've also read that forwarders don't play nice with Tiramisu)

Last edited by Willicious,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It doesn't matter if you start Nintendont via vWii or forwarder. vWii just saves one Wii U menu entry (300 title limit) and you need this so seldom, a forwarder doesn't really save time. In both cases you need a (small) ISO on your SD card through.

Can't tell if you need to crack vWii but why not just try it? You already have Nintendont installed so just reboot to vWii and try to launch it. ;)

Forwarders and Tiramisu is a thing on its own: It hardly depends on the technical details of the forwarder.

Willicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't matter if you start Nintendont via vWii or forwarder. vWii just saves one Wii U menu entry (300 title limit) and you need this so seldom, a forwarder doesn't really save time. In both cases you need a (small) ISO on your SD card through.

Whereabouts on the SD card does the ISO need to go, and what do I need to do with it once it's on there?

Can't tell if you need to crack vWii but why not just try it?

Mainly because it's confusing enough just trying to get one CFW system working and manageable. If I don't have to ever touch the vWii channel, I'm happy. If I do have to start messing around with that to get stuff to work, then I'm fast losing interest in the idea of modding the console altogether. I love the Wii U, but it's a very slow and cumbersome system which really doesn't seem to lend itself well to quick testing when things don't work.

You already have Nintendont installed so just reboot to vWii and try to launch it. ;)

Hmm, worth a try I guess. Assuming the vWii isn't modded, where would I launch Nintendont from within vWii?

Forwarders and Tiramisu is a thing on its own: It hardly depends on the technical details of the forwarder.

So... a Nintendont forwarder would work on a Tiramisu-booted Wii U menu (i.e. no need for vWii)?

Please forgive my lack of knowledge with a lot of this. I entered the world of homebrew very tentatively, and with the somewhat naive hope that most of it would be self-explanatory. In fairness, a lot of it is, and many things do just work. But, the stuff that doesn't work seems to require much more in-depth knowledge to fix.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Whereabouts on the SD card does the ISO need to go
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.349258/#InstallSD

and what do I need to do with it once it's on there?
What was this thread about again?
nintendont only saves settings if you start a game
Just have a small (stripped, IIRC Animal Crossing was just a few MB) ISO on your SD card and change Nintendont settings from vWii.

where would I launch Nintendont from within vWii?
From clicking onto its icon? Comeon, use your brain, too, mine starts to hurt.

a Nintendont forwarder would work on a Tiramisu-booted Wii U menu (i.e. no need for vWii)?
As told: Depends on the forwarder. I don't know the forwarder so how should I know?

Willicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What was this thread about again?

I'm asking what to do with the small ISO once it's been put onto the SD card. I'm guessing I launch it via Nintendont, from the answers already given.

From clicking onto its icon? Comeon, use your brain, too, mine starts to hurt.

I see :rolleyes: :slaps forehead:

In my defence, though - from what I've seen so far, Nintendont runs when you boot up a game, not the other way around. I haven't installed Nintendont before because AFAIK there isn't a way to install it directly onto Wii U, only via vWii which (as I've mentioned) I'd rather not do. I'm coming around to the idea that I should probably do it, though, and probably will.

how should I know?

You shouldn't (necessarily); the question was really meant for anyone who has had experience with that particular forwarder, or who might know how forwarders work with Tiramisu in general. From what I understand, it doesn't play nice with forwarders.

//EDIT: Happy to move all further discussion regarding this to the Nintendont thread to keep it all in one place!

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm asking what to do with the small ISO once it's been put onto the SD card. I'm guessing I launch it via Nintendont, from the answers already given.

I see :rolleyes: :slaps forehead:

In my defence, though - from what I've seen so far, Nintendont runs when you boot up a game, not the other way around. I haven't installed Nintendont before because AFAIK there isn't a way to install it directly onto Wii U, only via vWii which (as I've mentioned) I'd rather not do. I'm coming around to the idea that I should probably do it, though, and probably will.

You shouldn't (necessarily); the question was really meant for anyone who has had experience with that particular forwarder, or who might know how forwarders work with Tiramisu in general. From what I understand, it doesn't play nice with forwarders.

//EDIT: Happy to move all further discussion regarding this to the Nintendont thread to keep it all in one place!
you can isntall nintendont fowarder on wiiu menu and never use vwii at all, your just making people stop helping you at this point because you dont even try to follow the directions...

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
your just making people stop helping you at this point because you dont even try to follow the directions...
^- This. So many of your questions would answer themself when you just try things.

Willicious

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you can isntall nintendont fowarder on wiiu menu and never use vwii at all, your just making people stop helping you at this point because you dont even try to follow the directions...

OK. I followed the directions and the forwarder launches to blackscreen, so I had to restart the system. I was asking a lot of questions because I guessed this might happen due to reading elsewhere on the forum that forwarders can be problematic on Tiramisu. Hence why I didn't just dive in and go for it.

V10later:
So many of your questions would answer themself when you just try things.

I've done a lot of things so far from just following YT guides, plus other guides here on GBATemp, and just trying stuff out. I only reach out and ask questions if I feel it's absolutely necessary, mostly to understand the processes involved as fully as possible.

Anyway, I've decided to start from scratch with Nintendont. I'm going to read the OP again and hopefully I'll be able to get set up from there.

I appreciate everyone's help with this so far.

Reactions: Maxwellp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ