Nintendont - Wierd 4:3 aspect ratio problem. Solved!

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Bossehasse, Feb 14, 2016.

1. Bossehasse
    OP

Bossehasse Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2016
    So, I feel this is kinda weird to post, but I've had this issue for the past year and haven't been able to resolve it, no matter what settings I used to start my Gamecube games with. That is, until a week or so ago when I updated Nintendont to 3.386.

So the problem is that on my 4:3 CRT, Nintendont display my gamecube games in a squashed format similar to how a 16:9 monitor would display 4:3 content, and there's also some weird distortion to the image.

That happens to all games I've tried (only tried Super mario sunshine & SSBM 20XX due to only having a small USB-stick that can only fit one game at a time) and can be fixed by forcing Wii U widescreen and Progressive scan on. Although in Super mario there is still distortion in cutscenes at the very top and bottom of the visible screen.

So I don't know if there is a problem with my Wii U, my installation of Nintendont or Homebrew channel, my ISO's (even though I tried 3 different: PAL Super mario, NTSC Super mario and NTSC SSBM), or my old and really slow USB-stick, or a combination of them. But I haven't been able to fix this until the release of 3.386 as far as I can recall, though there might be some settings that I overlooked when trying with older versions.

Anyway, decided to post this... somewhere. I don't know where to post it since I don't know where to post bug reports to Nintendont, and it may likely be (because I haven't seen ANYONE with this problem) that there's something wrong with my setup. Maybe my CRT has some wierd default setting that I don't know about when viewing 480i content (I live in Europe so our CRTs resolution is 576i), it has a 16:9 mode and likes to show my regular games that I've bought in 16:9 by default until you change the picture to 4:3 with the remote.

So, yeah, just thought I should leave it here if anyone else has this strange problem. Sorry if I posted it in the wrong section. I'm not a regular visitor here so I will likely not return. Do with it what you will!

Oh, and I haven't tested this thoroughly with my HD-TV, but the distortion goes away if I enable progressive scan in-game. I don't have to force it with Nintendont. The were still some black bars on the sides even if I used the "Wii U widescreen" option, though.

Right, another strange thing that happend earlier this year. I almost has it working, the image spanned the entire surface of my CRT, but the picture distortion was still there. Then I updated Nintendont, and I was back to square one. Can't tell you what versions they were as it was a while ago, sorry!

Last edited by Bossehasse, Feb 14, 2016
    emuman100 likes this.
  2. emuman100

emuman100 GBAtemp Regular

May 12, 2006
    United States
    Thanks for posting this, because I have the same problem. I had wondered how to remedy this, but I never had the time to mess with it.

3. Bossehasse
    OP

Bossehasse Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2016
    Sweet! I actually managed to help someone! I was beginning to think I were the only one with these problems.

This stuff is beyond me, I have no clue as to why my Nintendont installation behaves like this. I should probably had emphasized (although I hope the pictures made it clear) that my CRT-TV CANNOT display 480p content. It doesn't support it according to the manual, and as far as I've gathered, you need at least an HD-CRT to use that resolution. So it feels really wierd that by forcing progressive scan, I get a proper image with no artifacts.

The whole "Wii U widescreen" setting to get rid of the black bars on the sides feels logical though. I suppose it thinks I'm on a 16:9 capable TV, and while my TV has a 16:9 mode, it really is just 4:3.