Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Paha, terrible answer.

That's already what Wii/Not64 are. They're not running in the Wii's "N64 mode", because that's not a thing. The GameCube and Wii are practically the same platform from a development standpoint, hence why it's possible (after a massive amount of work) for the Wii to run GameCube games in Wii mode very well. The N64 is an entirely different platform unrelated to the GameCube/Wii (and Wii U), so the Wii has to work a lot harder to get the games running in Wii mode and there's a lot of room for inaccuracies to creep in, hence the limitations in its compatibility.

Add to that that improving accuracy almost always means sacrificing speed and the emulator can't just be made more accurate because games would then stop running full speed. Any improvements in accuracy will also have to be countered with optimizations to make the emulator continue to run at full speed. Is there room for this? Well, Mupen64 is developed primarily as an emulator for relatively modern computers, of which the Wii is not one. Compared to Nintendo's effort on GameCube (see the Zelda collections), Wii/Not64 are relatively slow, so there are probably improvements to be made speed-wise, but it's worth noting that Not64 already far outstrips the compatibility of Nintendo's emulator, which is pretty much "just good enough and not a bit better".

In short, N64 emulation on Wii could definitely be both faster and more accurate, but achieving either of those (and even more so, achieving both) is difficult work. There's not really a quick fix like you're suggesting here, mainly because what you're suggesting is essentially what is being done.

ned

Trophies
XP
Country
How do the Wiis VC emulators compare to the Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time emulators in the collectors edition?
irc one of collectors edition emulators didn't support saves and had framebuffer effect problems like the overhead tv billboard in mario kart 64 if you injected it, do any of the VC emulators support 64MB n64 games?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How do the Wiis VC emulators compare to the Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time emulators in the collectors edition?
irc one of collectors edition emulators didn't support saves and had framebuffer effect problems like the overhead tv billboard in mario kart 64 if you injected it, do any of the VC emulators support 64MB n64 games?

If I remember correctly, the Collector's Edition was a bit buggy, I seem to remember Majora's Mask crashing every couple of hours. Other than the injection and testing process, I haven't had any problems with N64 VC games. They're bare-bones, but they're accurate and run perfectly, as far as I can tell.

The Wii has a 40mb cap on "channels". It's not impossible to get them to work, but you'd have to take apart the ROM and do some manual compressing. Make the textures smaller, crunch the audio down, remove any leftover data and hope it doesn't break, etc. It would take more effort than it's worth and I don't know if anyone has successfully done that. Even then, the main games I can think of that's larger than 40mb are Rareware games, and VC has troubles with Rareware's coding, anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask...