Nintendont/CFG USB Problems (help urgent)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by MassiR77, Mar 12, 2019.

1. MassiR77
    OP

MassiR77 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Canada
    Hey guys, I learned about Nintendont recently and I learned that in order to use it I had to update to firmware version 4.3 (also for use with wiimfi) so I followed a YouTube tutorial that would show me how to update my firmware version without losing the Homebrew channel and anything else installed, but when I managed update to 4.3 from 4.1 I kept my channels, it's just that when I go to click on my configurable USB loader it gets stuck on the loading screen. When I open Nintendont, it crashes when it says something about a kernel for ios 58 and brings me back to the home screen. My Wii was modded by someone else when I was younger and I cannot access my hard drive's memory, with 300+ games on it, but somehow my Wii could read it. I wasn't able to add new games to it so I thought maybe I should reformat and follow a tutorial online to get the CFG loader or USB loader GX to work. I haven't done this, but given the circumstances should I start from scratch? Will my saves transfer over? I noticed they're saved on the Wii, not the drive, so if my iso name is different than that of what was on my hard drive would the saves work? I have no idea what to do and any help would be appreciated, thanks. (Also I wouldn't plan on getting 300 games back, just the ones I played, so maybe 20-50)

2. MassiR77
    OP

MassiR77 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Canada
    Upon further investigation, would Wii backup manager be the reason my drive says it's raw? Should I use that program to see what's inside of it?

3. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
  4. MassiR77
    OP

MassiR77 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Canada
    Thanks for the response, however that's not really the problem at hand. I think I will change my drive to fat32, I want to be able to play games though. Nintendont doesn't work and nor does my CFG loader, so I've essentially bricked my Wii, so any help fixing those issues would be greatly appreciated. Should I perhaps switch to USB Loader GX? Does it work better than CFG Loader?

5. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    U can still play games through a USB loader with a hard drive formatted as fat32.

GX has integrated support for nintendont, I don't think cfg does.

6. MassiR77
    OP

MassiR77 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Canada
    That's true CFG doesn't, but that really isn't my issue, I just want to be able to play the games. Someone suggested modmii, I'm not extremely familiar so if someone knows how to get GameCube games and Wii games both to work that'd be sweet.

7. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    I too absolutely recommend you use ModMii - it's my program actually so while I might be biased it doesn't mean I'm wrong to suggest it! :)

When you're done with ModMii, just make sure nintendont is on your sd card or hard drive (modmii can download this for u too). Nintendont really doesn't require any extra set up over the standard softmod procedures modmii will take you through. If you want integrated nintendont support, or emulated Nand support, usbloader gx is your best bet, otherwise it doesn't really make much difference what loader you use.

MythicalData likes this.
  8. MassiR77
    OP

MassiR77 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Canada
    Ok, I'll give it a try later tonight. What should I be looking for when I open the app? And also how easy would it be to switch from CFG loader to GX? Would my saves and everything stay?

9. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    Start the first wizard in the list. It's pretty idiot proof you'll be fine.

You can select and use multiple loaders simultaneously, same saves will be used by all (unless u go out of your way to get creative with sneek/uneek, which is another tool modmii can assist with)

10. MassiR77
    OP

MassiR77 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Canada
    I've worked through most of the steps but there doesn't seem to be an update CFG loader option, I hate to keep asking questions but how would I get there? And should I update ios58 for Nintendont to work?

11. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    One of the wads you are installing should be IOS58.

Also if you answered yes set up a USB loader, modmii would have already downloaded a recent stable release and put it on your sd card or hard drive depending on what you selected.

12. MassiR77
    OP

MassiR77 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Canada
    I've managed to get everything working apart from Nintendont, same error as before, crashing when loading iOS 58 kernel. Any help on that? I've tried using modmii to install iOS 58 and Nintendont, neither have worked.

13. MassiR77
    OP

MassiR77 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Canada
    As well, I'd like to know if it's possible to use the second USB slot somehow. I have Wii games on a wbfs drive in the first slot, taking it out whenever I intend to play GameCube games would be very annoying. Is there a cios I can install to use the second for GameCube games? Once the emulator works that is.

14. XFlak

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    There is a d2x cios that does this at the cost of reduced compatibility. Instead do as I suggested earlier and switch to fat32. Wii games don't need a dedicated wbfs partition any longer, instead you can use wbfs files on a fat32 (or ntfs) partition. Check out the wbfs2fat link I shared earlier

MythicalData likes this.
  15. MassiR77
    OP

MassiR77 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Canada
    I do want to convert to fat32 however my cousin tried it using that method and it corrupted his hard drive. I don't want the same to happen to me, I gave around 300 games on there.

16. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Then he probably didn't do it right. Pull the game off to another location, then use Windows Disk Manager to convert to FAT32. WBFS is never a filesystem one should use. Pull the games off with Wii Backup Fusion.

17. MassiR77
    OP

MassiR77 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Canada
    If I take the games off the hard drive it'd take a long time, that seems to be what you're suggesting. My cousin said the program crashed or something midway through use. My main issue is that Nintendont still doesn't work, even on my usb formatted as fat32.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Maybe the storage taken up is a problem? I think it's a terabyte, maybe two, but 70% of the storage is taken up, and the program said it needs some space, if it doesn't have enough, would it crash everything? I'm using an older western digital drive.

18. Missingphy

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    you are missing ios 58

19. MassiR77
    OP

MassiR77 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2019
    Canada
    I actually have iOS 58 and have installed it from different sites, I don't know why it's still doing that. Does anyone have a stable version of the iOS I can download?

20. Missingphy

Missingphy Pokémon Master, Console Bricker, and more...

Oct 7, 2018
    Mexico
    you are probably using a patched ios 58. use this

Last edited by Missingphy, Mar 14, 2019