NintendoDS Wifi + Airplanes = Good Idea?

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by kironkabir, May 28, 2009.

May 28, 2009
  1. kironkabir
    OP

Newcomer kironkabir Newbie

United Kingdom
    Hey there! [​IMG]

I was just staring up at the sky, while taking a break from playing Mario Kart DS on WFC, and I saw an airplane in the sky.
    Then I thought to myself, I know that mobile devices aren't allowed to be switched on board whilst transmitting information, then what happens to us Nintendo DS users who travel quite a bit? Does that mean when we are on board the plane, we cannot connect up 2 or more DS systems together, because we are in fear that we might cause the pilots to suddenly lose control of the plane due to signal interference?

Or can we launch the wireless functions of the DS so we can have a bit more competitive play on board?

Share your replies and thoughts.

Thanks!!

2. mikeyt1998

Member mikeyt1998 YouTube Glitcher

United Kingdom
    you can have it turned on when taking off apparently, but when you're in the air you're allwed to switch them on again.

i dont know whether that couns for wi-fi or not, but it should coz it's not very strong really lol

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Personally I call BS on the whole signals making problems for planes thing: I am going for a combination of preventing annoyance and a nice little earner on the seatphones/similar.
    Then again I have not researched the matter but I am counting on physics not suddenly breaking down when someone steps in a plane. Same thing in hospitals for that matter and I have actually tested this one* (on A&E department on a slow day, every device we could find).

"suddenly lose control of the plane"
    few, if any, planes use a fly by wire approach using wireless signals "fly by wire" in plane world means they are a small/old aircraft and it is a mechanical wire exerting a mechanical force. Not to mention the usual "oh noes" factor is altimeter failing.

Futhermore I suggest you look up the idea behind signal propagation (your DS and phone are non directional: signal strength drops with distance (surface of a sphere) and even (and I stress even) if it could happen then what kind of engineer would use the same frequency. Phones cover a great distance, my DS is stopped by a thick wall and even with line of sight would be hard pressed to do more than 200m.

*there was one thing that made a speaker "pop" (I am sure you have all had a mobile phone near a speaker in the past), this was an early 80s device (yes the NHS is that much of a joke) and there were no other ill effects on anything we tested.

Finally if that is not enough
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/737587/M...e-go-ahead.html
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/07/eu...flight_calling/
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/17/co...flight_calling/ (read the article)

4. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    I played DS on a plane with my sister and the plane didn't crash, so you should be okay.

5. Shadz

Member Shadz GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Nothing happens, i tried crashing the plane with wireless. I was bitterly disappointed.

6. Governa

Newcomer Governa Member

Portugal
    You can use it during normal flight, meaning, when the "fasten seatbelt" sign is off.

You can't legally use it during take off and landing or when the "fasten seatbelt" sign is on.

2 reasons for this:

1- A mobile phone can interfere with a Pace-Maker for example. An aircraft has hundreds of electronic components. Take off and landing are the most critical moments of a flight. It's a matter of prevention.

2- During take off, landing or on any other critical moment that requires your full attention and awareness (strong turbulence for example), you can't use anything that impairs your senses (iPod, walkman, anything with headphones), might fly loose of your hand and hit other passengers or obstruct the exits (portable computer or other objects big enough to cause you to trip when trying to escape from the aircraft).

I've once played Mario Kart DS against a friend on a Ryanair Stansted->Porto flight and nobody requested me not to do it. I just waited until the seatbelt sign was off.

Having said that I've also seen a passenger being detained after getting out of the aircraft on a TAP Porto->Heathrow flight after being caught by the flight attendant making a mobile call during lading (before the plane even touched the ground).

Aside from that, I've read that some airlines together with Airbus are testing onboard Wi-fi internet. Now that is something to look forward to. [​IMG]

7. ninovalenti

Member ninovalenti GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    1. the ds is to low for it.
    2. only at start and landing sjould be a mobilphone turned off

8. Maz7006

Member Maz7006 iSEXu

Lebanon
    Don't do it, you'll blow up the damn thing ARRGGGGHHHHH [​IMG] [​IMG]

Nope, nothing will happen [​IMG]

Just imagine the news headlines if it did,

"A young child has blown up a commercial airline with his/her DS, Nintendo are accused of advocating terrorism."

9. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Using mobile phones is being allowed on some long haul flights now depending on who its with though [​IMG]

same with Hospitals most areas your allowed to use your mobile now with the exception of around Xray equipment and the Intensive Care Unit and other critical places like that [​IMG]

Ask them I'm sure they will allow it if not then just don't play 2 player wifi simple as that [​IMG]

10. Jakob95

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I was playing wireless play on my DS in the plane during when it was flying nothing happened.

11. Trigger_Happy

Newcomer Trigger_Happy Advanced Member

United States
    I was on a plane playing DS games with other people. It crashed and we were stranded on an island for about a month. Eventually started feeding off of each other's dead bodies. I was the only survivor.

That said, don't do it.