Hardware Nintendo won't replace the display of your Switch if it has dead pixels..

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
It's funny to see how many problems people are facing with Nintendo's new console. If I found a dead pixel on my Galaxy S7 I would just return it to where I bought it no questions asked. Dead pixels in the mobile industry IS a defect.

On another note my friend who owned a Switch returned it to best buy after having weird glitches in games. Obviously a hardware problem and best buy agreed. Funny how fans say the defects are a minority but from what I see they are still quite a few.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's funny to see how many problems people are facing with Nintendo's new console. If I found a dead pixel on my Galaxy S7 I would just return it to where I bought it no questions asked. Dead pixels in the mobile industry IS a defect.

On another note my friend who owned a Switch returned it to best buy after having weird glitches in games. Obviously a hardware problem and best buy agreed. Funny how fans say the defects are a minority but from what I see they are still quite a few.
Well at least the Switch doesn't explode like a Samsung.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It's funny to see how many problems people are facing with Nintendo's new console.
it's also funny i don't have any of these problems neither does anyone in europe/Australia. only muricans. and trust me i've tried to get that left controller to fail deliberately and couldn't do it. i even tried putting it behind my back and was able to play with the damn thing behind me :P

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i think we all know that there is a percentage of dead pixels?
or at least FCC rules or europe rules, somehting like that
there is a percentage, if you have for example 4 dead pixels, the company isn't required to replace it..
it depends on the screen resolution thought, the more pixels it has, the more tolerance of dead pixels

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
it
's also funny i don't have any of these problems neither does anyone in europe/Australia :P
Huh I swear I've seen a YouTube video of someone with a British accent saying his Switch doesn't read game cards.

I think you just full of Shit. Do you have any proof that NOBODY in Europe or Australia have these problems?

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Generally in manufacturing you are to expect and allow a 1% defect margin. If 2 million units were shipped, that's 20,000 defective devices.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
The thing is, if a device has dead pixels, it wouldn't have the advertised pixel count, so if nothing else works (highly improbable), you can try making a false advertisement case out of it. Maybe.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last edited by Mr. Wizard,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well at least the Switch doesn't explode like a Samsung.
It is still early days and it does appear to use a lithium ion battery like most of the battery fun and games devices we have seen these last few years. Many of those seem to be the result of dodgy charge management controllers and early word is the switch will output some power to other things ( https://www.macrumors.com/2017/03/02/nintendo-switch-usb-c-macbook-pro/ ), I will confess to not knowing if that is expected behaviour though.

Anyway mini lesson on industrial design and production as it seems such things would do well here

Sample batch testing.
The act of pulling out a random number, usually 1% or so for the batch sizes I imagine they are doing here, and testing them properly. General stats say if those samples pass the rest will be good enough that any failures can be easily handled by your returns department. Nobody paying consumer device prices will want to pay for what it could cost to do full testing and thus we will see the occasional report like this. This is normal, sucks for the person it happened to but it is what it is and is nothing to get worked up about.
Failed batches either go for further testing to see if things can be recovered or for recycling/disposal, however many times they vanish into thin air and provide us with the unofficial spares and repairs market.

Design failure.
If the cradle is too narrow and pinches the screen then that would be a design failure, if it expands a bit after heating up then it is a different kind of design failure. If the quality control at the cradle making factory/section let those a bit too narrow through, or switches became too fat, then see the batch stuff above, though it might also have been a case that the tolerances (you say between these values rather than exactly this value as exact is possible but very expensive) were not specified correctly and that is a design failure.
Manufacturing failures can also happen, though the persons at fault can vary here.

Screens. Different industries and vendors have different policies on stuck, dark or lit pixels, as well as the placement thereof (right in eyeline vs within 10% of the border or something). For a cheap device with no claims to accurate colours or anything like the switch it is not unheard of in the slightest for it to actually be quite a few before they act.

Reactions: WiiUBricker

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jUWpmU-X8k