Hacking Nintendo Wii with Wii-Clip and D2CKey Need Help

Brainiac003

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys...well I've been reading this forum for a couple weeks now but I have not really found some solid answer on some things. First off I recently got a Wii like a month or so ago and was looking to mod it and I'm like 99% sure its a D2C chipset inside. I don't really have experience in soldering so...

1. What options do I really have? I know some sites now offer D2CKey already soldered on the Wii-Clip which is compatible with the D2C chipset. Is this my ONLY option to have a completely solderless install?

2. Also what do I need to be worried about after the install? Can I do all the updates from either the game discs or the Wii system updates and not have to worry about bricking my system. I will only be playing NTSC backups on my NTSC Wii. I won't mess around with PAL games or anything if that makes any difference.

3. Also if the D2CKey is my only option right now is there a chance that later on some games might not work? Will I be able to update a firmware or something for my D2CKey and is the firmware already on there when I receive it? Or is there another completely solderless option that might be better?

So basically I'm just a little confused because there are SO many different modchips out there. I also just don't want to brick my Wii. I'm not worried about opening it up since I work with computers alot just don't know how to solder. I'm just wondering if after the install I can do everything like the modchip wasn't even there...do any sort of updates, buy VC games, play original games, backup games, etc. Or is there some things I now have to worry about since the modchip is there. Also I don't know if I remember correctly but I remember seeing on some mod site saying something about issues with playing on Wi-Fi Connect with a modchip. Does anyone know what this site was talking about or I might just have mis-read it.

If anyone can just give me some short solid answer I would really appreciate that. So far I'm really loving this forum and the community. Thanks again.

phistyle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1.) yes thats pretty much your only option unless you get somebody to solder a chip on you Wii for u or attempt to do it yourself which I don't recommend if you don't know what you're doing.

2.) if you're going the wii-clip route then the only problem would be if in the long run the wii-clip comes off but it doubt that will happen. you won't brick your system if you are sticking to ntsc games on your ntsc wii...all ntsc updates on your system are fine.

3.) Other options for a d2c include, d2pro, wasabi, d2cpro (d2ckey clone), and argon/infectus 2. pretty much all will be upgradable...the d2ckey team just said that they have a way to update the d2ckey and it will be on sale next week or so as they said.

Brainiac003

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey phistyle thanks for the quick reply. Yeah I'm not too worried about the Wii-Clip falling off I'll be very careful when moving it around and it won't be moved around very often.

You just named a bunch of different chips but I think the only one that came soldered on already was the D2CKey chip on the Wii-clip offered by ozmodchips is that correct? Are there any other options if I just want something where I can just clip it in my wii and be done with it. So far I've only been able to find the Wii-clip with D2CKey from ozmodchips.

Also you said I shouldn't have to worry about bricking my Wii if I'm only backing up NTSC games. So technically I can do anything I want without any worry like I don't even have a modchip??

Last question...just like people had problems with Mario Galaxy and SSBB and the dual layer disc thing, did they just apply an update to their current chips and it was problem solved? And you said that the D2CKey team said they will have a way to update but they will charge us for it?

Thanks again.

Brainiac003

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey ozmodchips if you have any replies to my questions please feel free to answer them and also I think your site is down because when I tried to order I got a Internal server error.

But yeah if you could give me some of your knowledge on my questions that'd be great.

phistyle

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you should be fine....other chips had problems playing Super Mario Galaxy and SSBB which was addressed with an update...the d2ckey and d2pro is rock solid and played those games fine without any updates...yea I think they will be releasing some kind of external adaptar where u can solder on the chip and it probably won't be free but I think for now you don't have to worry about updating anytime soon...everything seems to be working fine with the d2ckey...

midir

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI, I have successfully and quickly moded my Wii with 'Infectus 2' using Wii-CLIP for Argon. Got both from http://modchip.ca. Yes, it does not fit the clip, but soldering points are same (except +5V and D0 point that have to be soldered) and it was a very easy install (I'm not a professional solderer and used a standard 15W iron from radioshack). I don't have any pics, but infectus 2 fits OK into the space, just make sure you put some carton (as carton for Wii-clip does not fully cover it) between the chip and metal surface. Firmware upgrade for Infectus 2 works like a charm. Make sure you download 1.4 Wiiktus firmware as it's the latest stable one: http://www.infectus.biz/downloads/infectus_wiiktus1.4.dat

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: