Gaming Nintendo Wii Shop Channel countdown timer

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can't forget it. It was my fault for giving the wrong time.
You might have gave the wrong time, but it is now past the time THEY gave even on the Wii Shop channel. *Shrugs*

No, they never said that they were closing, just that the ability to buy new licenses will be disabled

You can still redownload anything you own (or don't, given tickets are not required for downloading...)
I doubt they will remove them before 2 years from today (European warranty, right to have a repair/replacement/refund at the seller's discretion, ya know): even for the DSi they only claimed redownloads for barely a year but they are still up

Titles are encrypted with a titlekey (which is written, itself encrypted with 1 of the 3 common keys, in the ticket - and so is the number of the common key to use)
If you have a wad you have the contents + tmd + ticket; add the common keys and you have everything you need to install or extract that title
*snip*
Well the Wii Shop channel said close but that can mean different things. But we all assumed the servers would shut down.

Anyway, thanks for the confirm. I guess I will zap the raw downloads then since everything can be decrypted now. Figured it was, but wanted to make sure. :)

OcZi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Peru
No, they never said that they were closing, just that the ability to buy new licenses will be disabled
The translation of the nintendo announcement into Spanish at the Wii shop said that "el canal tienda wii cerrarà" "se efectuarà el dìa 30 de enero", which in English would close on the 30th, something that was not done that day.

That created quite a lot of confusion, including me

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if anyone is still "keeping score" it would seem they shut them down on Saturday. I was still getting things Friday night, but couldn't Saturday. No idea when the shut down took place though.

It is interesting that some Wiiware games still have their documentation. Or are they stored in the game itself? Though when you view them it stops the game and sends you over to the wii shop channel which does say connecting for a few seconds then displays the docs. I haven't tried a lot of games, but so far, all the ones I have tried still work. Makes me think the docs are in the game and it uses the wiishop channel as a viewer for them.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the shutdown of streaming services on the wii is why i been seeing alot of wiis at the good will. Picked up 2 for $12.99 each lol
Yeah having those shut down as well sucks. Especially since they didn't have to. If they had a security situation, sure then they would have to, but there wasn't so why not keep them going for their customers still using it?

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah having those shut down as well sucks. Especially since they didn't have to. If they had a security situation, sure then they would have to, but there wasn't so why not keep them going for their customers still using it?

Nothing really. It would have worked till they changed something that the channel does not support. Reasons like this is why i dont like streaming. Imagine when games are streamed from some server. They will force you to get new hardware to use it.

Videomanman87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nothing really. It would have worked till they changed something that the channel does not support. Reasons like this is why i dont like streaming. Imagine when games are streamed from some server. They will force you to get new hardware to use it.
Oh I know. Eventually it would have failed when they made a change, but they haven't in several years I just to kill it when they COULD have left it going? That is the part that just leaves me shaking my head.

As for streaming games, Steam is kind of like that. While they are still supporting older hardware at the moment, they have dropped support for some. And EA's Origin did drop more support as it no longer lets you install or download games on a Vista machine. Granted that is a old system, but when you are only playing OLD games on it that run fine? Why force them to update their system just to play their games again? But then again that is EA. I never bought anything on Origin, but I did get a few freebies. And after that (and other decisions) I never will.

While the games aren't being streamed, the online copy protection is and when they stop supporting the hardware you are using, poof there goes your game. Or at least you can't run it even though it is still installed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill