Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
EmeraldEx said:
Why don't they just release white GC controllers?

DO IT.
There already are white Gamecube controllers, I even have one myself and many others also has one. There's even a picture of such a white Gamecube controller in the first post in this topic.

M

mario5555

Fat D said:
I prefer the original design, as I hate prongs on a controller you have to hold in a variety of ways.
But yes, it was
SNES Controller -> Sony adds painful prongs and a second pair of shoulder buttons -> Nintendo releases N64 controller with analog stick -> Sony adds TWO sticks in Japan -> Nintendo releases Rumble Pak -> Sony adds "Shock" function with similar vibration, but two motors -> DualShock becomes the reference model for controllers.

So, to sum it up, Sony took a SNES controller and put everything Nintendo developed in twice.

I know controller preference is mostly an opinion but you musta really hate the Xbox controllers then. For my money the dual shock design is the most comfortable and best designed controller ever made.

The "prongs" as you call'em are the best designed of any controller, the N64 ones, ughh unsightly and holding an entire controller mostly with one hand (really what games used the d-pad only you always held it with the middle "prong") the Xbox controller was just too darn big, MS shoulda stole from themselves and ripped off their design from the sidewinder controller, the best PC control pad ever made.

Probably the second most uncomfortable controller ever made was the DC controller that smooshes your hands into the hand holds on the controller, never did like that design (which was an offshoot of their SS 3D pad - only smaller)

The Snes controller while nice, was never comfortable to me since it was nothing more than a Nes controller with the hard edges smoothed, and I hated the rectangle shape of the original Nes controller (which is why I always used a Nes Advantage to play my games) because it hurt my hands when playing for long periods of time. Heck I bought a Super Advantage because of my dislike for the Snes controller, the only nice thing to play with it was RPG's.

And honestly how could you like the frankenstein add-ons for the N64 controller, the memory (or was it called controller) pak, the rumble pak, the transfer pak. I hated all that stuff, the other day I had to find where I put my memory pak and forgot how bloody small the thing was, it's a wonder I never lost it. All those things did was make a controller unsightly or weigh more (I'm looking at you transfer pak)

Hey kudos to Sony for re-inventing the wheel and actually doing it right, whether you like'em or not (which apparently you don't from reading your post) The Sixaxis is the best controller ever designed, I get a Dualshock, plus less weight, and to boot wireless, it doesn't get any closer to perfection in my eyes.
yay.gif

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
yet they couldn't have made the controller wireless?
that'd make too much sense, considering all next gen console controllers are freakin wireless :/

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
mario5555 said:
Fat D said:
I prefer the original design, as I hate prongs on a controller you have to hold in a variety of ways.
But yes, it was
SNES Controller -> Sony adds painful prongs and a second pair of shoulder buttons -> Nintendo releases N64 controller with analog stick -> Sony adds TWO sticks in Japan -> Nintendo releases Rumble Pak -> Sony adds "Shock" function with similar vibration, but two motors -> DualShock becomes the reference model for controllers.

So, to sum it up, Sony took a SNES controller and put everything Nintendo developed in twice.

I know controller preference is mostly an opinion but you musta really hate the Xbox controllers then. For my money the dual shock design is the most comfortable and best designed controller ever made.

The "prongs" as you call'em are the best designed of any controller, the N64 ones, ughh unsightly and holding an entire controller mostly with one hand (really what games used the d-pad only you always held it with the middle "prong") the Xbox controller was just too darn big, MS shoulda stole from themselves and ripped off their design from the sidewinder controller, the best PC control pad ever made.

Probably the second most uncomfortable controller ever made was the DC controller that smooshes your hands into the hand holds on the controller, never did like that design (which was an offshoot of their SS 3D pad - only smaller)

The Snes controller while nice, was never comfortable to me since it was nothing more than a Nes controller with the hard edges smoothed, and I hated the rectangle shape of the original Nes controller (which is why I always used a Nes Advantage to play my games) because it hurt my hands when playing for long periods of time. Heck I bought a Super Advantage because of my dislike for the Snes controller, the only nice thing to play with it was RPG's.

And honestly how could you like the frankenstein add-ons for the N64 controller, the memory (or was it called controller) pak, the rumble pak, the transfer pak. I hated all that stuff, the other day I had to find where I put my memory pak and forgot how bloody small the thing was, it's a wonder I never lost it. All those things did was make a controller unsightly or weigh more (I'm looking at you transfer pak)

Hey kudos to Sony for re-inventing the wheel and actually doing it right, whether you like'em or not (which apparently you don't from reading your post) The Sixaxis is the best controller ever designed, I get a Dualshock, plus less weight, and to boot wireless, it doesn't get any closer to perfection in my eyes.
yay.gif
Handles are a matter of execution mainly. The handles on the 360 and GC controllers are actually very comfortable, and both the controller design and the games using it are adapted to the position the handles force you to assume. However, the DualShock and derivative controllers have horns that are way too short, making my pinky fingers hurt if I play with them too much. And the Classic Controller is far too dynamic in its operation to permit rigid hand guides like handles, requiring different grip techniques depending on whether your main buttons are a and b (like in NES and N64 games) or b and y for SNES, whether you primarily use the buttons / D-Pad or the analog stick on that side and whether you need access to the respective Z button or not.
Actually, I have not held an N64 or DC controller for ages, and never touched anything related to an original X-Box, so I cannot comment on those except for their historical significance. I only know that when I first used an N64 controller, I held it at the outer grips, extending my left thumb to the joystick and my right middle finger to the Z button (after I learned there was one, as it was a display stand console). Also, a little weight in your hands cannot hurt, can it?
I would have preferred it if Nintendo had mapped the buttons by position instead of by name, having GC/N64/NES A correspond to Classic/SNES b, B to y, Y to x and X to a. Because that is the way it works on the SNES controller. Actually, it is just an NES controller with a second chip inside. What was A and B on the NES was mapped to the SNES B and Y buttons, with L, R, X and A being added using the second chip.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raiyu245 said:
propad2.jpg

QUOTE said:
With information only currently residing on Nintendo's Japanese website, there's no word yet on price, or a firm release date (just that it's coming this year). The Classic Controller Pro differs from the original Classic Controller by adding some extra shoulder buttons, spacing the thumbsticks out a bit more and introducing some hand grips.

Should make playing those GameCube and N64 games a damn sight easier.

News Source: Kotaku

this is the best thing i ever heard i never bought a classic controller before but now that i see i don't need a wiimote to use it anymore according to that image i see it is worth getting especially because you can probably play gamecube games with it now.if you click on the source so far it says nothing on gamecube games working with this classic controller but they make it look that way with the image of all the controllers next to each other.

for those of you that say its a copy of a PlayStation controller who cares and super nintendo's controller came out first anyway if sony helped with it or not.if i'm correct i think sony only had something to do with the system not the controller because the system has some sony chip in it. sony also took ideas from nintendo themselves.you people should be happy that playing ps1 on the wii is going to become easier now when that emulator ever gets updated.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dinofan01 said:
God damn it! I bought a classic controller as well as a grip attachment just to gt something similar. I wonder if Nintendo made a way to use the wii remote in gamecube mode (which I doubt). I hope 3rd partys will see this and feel they don't need to force motion controls for every game.
I know i did too. Im not sure why Nintendo didnt just do this in the first place.

SkankyYankee

GBAtemp Advanced Skank
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They show a wiimote in there but i don't see a ir camera on it. If this is just different buttons and a grip get the grip and a wiimote holder for your original classic. most games don't use the back shoulder buttons anyway.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Jiggah said:
hova1 said:
Jiggah said:
OMG! A white Sony controller for the Wii. Are people gonna call Nintendo genius for such a design?
you know that the Sony controller is basically just a black SNES controller with two extra button, right?

Uh... no not really. It has the extra shoulder buttons originally then made the switch to having the dual analog+rumble, which basically set it apart from any other controllers to date and has basically been the standard it looks a lot like that one up there. I'm 100% sure that the SNES controller did not look close to that, had one for years. This design even incorporates the odd jugging out of the bottom like the ps2. Had they stuck to something more along the lines of the classic controller just to the right of it then it would be fine, but seriously their excuse is that they mashed up the wavebird with the classic controller?

Nintendo had a joystick first.. Sony was original and took this and added a second one..

Nintendo also had rumble first.. Sony was original and took this too.. And got sued becasue of it..

Ever wonder why the original ps3 didnt have rumble?.. Lawsuit.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
eobb said:
Jiggah said:
hova1 said:
Jiggah said:
OMG! A white Sony controller for the Wii. Are people gonna call Nintendo genius for such a design?
you know that the Sony controller is basically just a black SNES controller with two extra button, right?

Uh... no not really. It has the extra shoulder buttons originally then made the switch to having the dual analog+rumble, which basically set it apart from any other controllers to date and has basically been the standard it looks a lot like that one up there. I'm 100% sure that the SNES controller did not look close to that, had one for years. This design even incorporates the odd jugging out of the bottom like the ps2. Had they stuck to something more along the lines of the classic controller just to the right of it then it would be fine, but seriously their excuse is that they mashed up the wavebird with the classic controller?

Nintendo had a joystick first.. Sony was original and took this and added a second one..

Nintendo also had rumble first.. Sony was original and took this too.. And got sued becasue of it..

I think you mean gamepad, because the originator for the joystick was surely not Nintendo.

The button placement for the initial 6 buttons are the same, but the shell design such as the placement of the dual analogs and the inclusion of the the extra shoulder buttons was all Sony. Sony took a the SNES design and made it better.

The lawsuit for rumble was not from Nintendo. It was from a 3rd party company, Immersion, who ended up suing Sony for the type of rumble. Sony did not license the inclusion of the rumble technology that was used, which if I remember correctly was simiply the use of two off balanced weighs rotating off center. However, Sony signed a deal hence the DS3. For those wondering why the classic controller does not include rumble, it was because Nintendo lost a lawsuit (not Immersion). However, that doesn't explain why they felt the need to leave out wireless. They're probably saving up for an "Extreme Pro" edition.

B

ball2012003

eobb said:
Jiggah said:
hova1 said:
Jiggah said:

why are you hating on sony
ds copying the psp with the camera and listening to music and internet browser
on topic:that looks like the original just the extra handle thingy

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ball2012003 said:
why are you hating on sony
ds copying the psp with the camera and listening to music and internet browser
on topic:that looks like the original just the extra handle thingy
IE Copied Mosaic and... Windows copied that shit in Mac... all those touch phones copied some PDA and iPhone...

In conclusion, China copied the USA.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
What game uses all shoulder buttons?

You guys do know you can buy grips for the classic controller we have now? It makes it much more comfortable and its only $10 (gamestop).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night