Nintendo to shut down online play for all 3DS and Wii U games

sdaadsdas.png

It's the end of an era. Or perhaps the second end to an era. Following on the heels of Nintendo's decision to shut down the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U eShops and delisting all digital games for both platforms, is the announcement that online play for the two systems will also be discontinued. In April 2024, all online functionalities for all 3DS and Wii U titles will no longer work, including SpotPass. The shutdown of online servers for 3DS and Wii U games will happen just about 10 years to the day that Nintendo took down online play for the Nintendo Wii and DS.

In a FAQ regarding the announcement, Nintendo stated that support for Pokemon Bank will continue for now, though the service, "may also end at some point in the future".

In early April 2024, online play and other functionality that uses online communication will end for Nintendo 3DS* and Wii U software. This also includes online co-operative play, internet rankings, and data distribution.

You can find more information about badges for decorating the Nintendo 3DS HOME Menu using Nintendo Badge Arcade here.

We will announce a specific end date and time at a later date.

Please note that if an event occurs that would make it difficult to continue online services for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software, we may have to discontinue services earlier than planned.

We sincerely thank players for using the online services of Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software over a long period of time and apologize for any inconvenience.

* This includes software exclusive to New Nintendo 3DS.

:arrow: Source

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's more that I've spent since 2016 trying to preserve as many event Pokemon as possible from the Gen 3 GBA games, even obtaining the official event distribution software for quite a few events.

As someone who has been playing Pokemon since 1999 I just think it would be cool to have one of each event Pokemon in Home, at some point Pokemon is going to lose its 20+ years of backwards compatibility, so it will never be possible to do this again.

As its a game about collecting it will be nice to have my collection accessible in the future if I desire.

Here is a public Gen 3 event save myself and many others have contributed to over the years: Pokemon GEN3 Legit Event Pokemon Save - its possible to distribute your own unique Pokemon also however.
Collecting events seems like a cool thing, although I'd want to keep them in the game the event was received. In newer games, you can just catch those Pokémon and get the dex entry in Home that way.
Also, after checking that link I finally remembered where I've seen your profile picture and name before! Thanks a ton for your contributions.

Reactions: InsaneNutter

cluesagi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to hurry up migrating all my past Pokemon from Gen 4 to 5 so I can get them in to PokeBank then Pokemon Home.

Will be a sad end of an era when its no longer possible to transfer Pokemon from the GBA games all the way to modern games. Good to see Nintendo do somewhat recognise this and will keep Pokemon Bank working for now anyway...
I'm pretty sure it's possible to do the same with PKSM without internet though

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
They better not discontinue that or else people would actually riot if their games stopped working online and they paid for it
welp this is straight from the nintendo website for the wii
The Wii Shop Channel, which has been available on Wii systems since December 2006, closed on January 30, 2019. We sincerely thank our loyal customers for their support.

It is no longer possible to purchase new content from the Wii Shop. However, for the time being you may continue to re-download content you have purchased or transfer that content from a Wii system to a Wii U system. Be aware that these features will eventually end at a future date.

Thank you for supporting the Wii Shop Channel and for being such great fans of Nintendo.

January 30, 2019: The last day to have purchased software in the Wii Shop.

In the future, we will be closing all services related to the Wii Shop Channel, including redownloading purchased WiiWare, Virtual Console titles, and Wii Channels, as well as Wii System Transfer Tool, which transfers data from the Wii console to the Wii U console.

so if they are planning to do it for the wii guarantee it will happen for everything else. this is why you do not buy digital titles from nintendo!

Last edited by Bladexdsl,
Reactions: Mike_77712

LuigilovesItalian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH NO NO NO NOT APRIL 2024 WHYYYYYYYY I LOVED TO PLAY ONLINE IN THE NINTENDO 3DS FUCK NINTENDO WHY THEY ALWAYS DO A BAD THING
Post automatically merged:

It's the end of an era. Or perhaps the second end to an era. Following on the heels of Nintendo's decision to shut down the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U eShops and delisting all digital games for both platforms, is the announcement that online play for the two systems will also be discontinued. In April 2024, all online functionalities for all 3DS and Wii U titles will no longer work, including SpotPass. The shutdown of online servers for 3DS and Wii U games will happen just about 10 years to the day that Nintendo took down online play for the Nintendo Wii and DS.

In a FAQ regarding the announcement, Nintendo stated that support for Pokemon Bank will continue for now, though the service, "may also end at some point in the future".

:arrow: Source
I FUCKING HATE NINTENDO ALWAYS DOING BAD THING AND STOP THE SERVICE FOR OLDER CONSOLE I FUCKING HATE NINTENDO NINTENDO IS A PIECE OF SHIT

Last edited by LuigilovesItalian,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heres hoping the independent efforts can replicate the eshop and the like. If so, then hopefully the asking price for a replacement system can crater and I can snag another.

Unfortunate that my n3ds non-xl has a few issues and literally haven't been able to source parts anywhere. It is really frustrating.

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"But my online shops closing!" - Yarr, me hearties! Bless pira-I mean, "archival".
I don't get this argument from the physical heads. A closing online store doesn't mean that your games you bought digitally will disappear. It simply means you won't be able to buy any more brand new digital games. It's no different from a GameStop closing.

Even more of a moot point when it comes to delisted games on PC, since most of the time those games can still be accessed through keys.

TeconMoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I very recently re-purchased Super Mario Maker for the Wii U for like $10 just to go play some silly old levels that my friends and I made back in 2015. What a time-capsule experience that was. Too bad this move will cripple that game even further, but it's already in a pretty crippled state. At least I was able to download all the old levels that I was nostalgic about.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's sad, but then I can't say I've really made use of the online functionality in recent years.

It's weird that they're keeping Pokemon Bank running, especially if it's not making them any money. I figured it would need the same infrastructure required by any of the other online games. If there's someone at the company who thinks it is necessary to keep it going, then why couldn't they let people get Pokemon Transporter for free too? Still miffed about that.

I would be concerned about trying to sell off my copy of Tri Force Heroes, but then no one's been offering to buy any of the other 3DS games I've been trying to sell. Give Tri Force Heroes a chance while you can! The Discord offers useful matchmaking.

Reactions: J-Will

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol